60 pounds and a diabetic diagnosis to shed in Philadelphia!

Options
I can’t believe I joined a fitness site and actually plan to use it, but I do. I had a pretty big medical scare and I understand now that losing weight is not an option; it’s something that I need to do to live. During what should have been a standard surgery my vena cava, the main vein that runs to your heart, was severed. I lost almost ½ my blood. It took a lot of blood transfusions and time to recover. I was heavy before the surgery, but now I am embarrassingly considered morbidly obese. In addition to being embarrassed, I also became diabetic. Most new diabetics can take pills, I can’t do that because I’m allergic to them so I have to take injections which is something I never thought I would have to do. Healing has become a huge issue. I am constantly fighting infections. If I scrap my arm on something it takes weeks to heal. It’s hard to believe that losing weight could fix most of this, but the doctor says that it can and I’m ready to young to live as a sick person if I can change that. I miss wearing clothes that make me feel good about myself. I used to travel 100% by plane for work but I now work from home 100% because that was the doctor’s recommendation and my company honored the recommendation. My life has been turned upside by things I have no control over, and I’m ready to take the control back. I am 5’8 and weigh 250. My goal is to lose 60 pounds. I look forward to meeting many of you and hearing your about your weight loss programs.
-Robyn

Replies

• teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good move on your part. This is a fabulous community. I have lost a loved one who ignored their diabetes; it's nothing to fool around with.

We'll be here to support you through the good and the bad! Welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • janetj518
    Options
    WELCOME!! I am stunned by what you have gone through. You are an incredible perosn to have gone through this and still make the choice to do something about. Many would give up, especially with the heart issue. I applaud you! Just remember, it will take time and considering everything, it may take a lot of time, but this site is full of encouragement and advice. I wish you the best of luck and SUCCESS with your journey!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi Robyn, and welcome to the most amazing calorie counter / fitness accountability site!! I hear you on the medical issues. My fitness journey because of medical issues as well. I was borderline diabetic (my mom was actually diagnosed with it a couple of years ago), I have a condition called hidronditis which can cause cysts anywhere (triggered by obesity), and the biggest problem I have is a condition called papilloedema or swelling of the optic nerve. My vision isn't effected by it, but it causes massive headaches almost daily. When I started working out and losing the weight, the headaches stopped, the cysts (which often required surgical removal) stopped, and my labs look great! I still have more weight to lose, but I'm hooked on this journey of working out and eating cleaner.

Program-wise I do P90X and TurboFire. They're both Beachbody programs and I absolutely love them! Definitely love TurboFire more though, lol.
  • cdc33
    cdc33 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This site is great lots of great people here for support and encouragment. feel free to friend me Cheers
  • iamrobyn
    iamrobyn Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks for the welcoming messages and friend requests. I feel like I am one of the lucky ones who got to live, so I am going to LIVE!

I can't imagine starting off with the PSx90 workout level exercise. I am too out of shape to start with that btu the results look amazing. I'm going to have to take a slower path. My goal is hit the gym 3-4 times a week with cardio for 30-45 min of cardio. Right now I am just adjusting to the treadmill. Maybe next week I'll give the elliptical a try. I have no clue how to correctly use the other equipment or weights that I see people using in their workouts. I did talk to the personal training people at the gym and its something that I might think about adding on once my body gets over the intial shock of better food and exercise.
  • overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It's a great place to help you with your journey. There are lots of people for motivation/support and the food is so easy to track! I'm sorry for all of the horrible health things that you have experienced, but its never too late to turn your life around! You have to take the first step sometime, and this is a great way to do it! Feel free to add me as a friend, we have similar height/weight goals :]
  • CrystalCzarnecki
    CrystalCzarnecki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too am a diabetic. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago. That is what started my weight loss journey about a year ago! When I began I was 220.. and I am now down to 174. It is hard work .... but definitely worth it. When I was diagnosed... I was given metformin... and I didn't take diabetes seriously at first... so I went from half a pill, to a whole pill, to 3 pills a day. Now that I have figured out that diabetes is nothing to mess with... I have really gotten on track and really stuck to my diet plan. I try to do cardio every day for at least 30 minutes. It is hard as with diabetes it seems that weight comes off slower, but don't get discouraged!! You are right... you lived... so just stay positive!! You can do it!!! If you ever need someone to talk to send me a message! We all need to stick together :happy:
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to the site, there are alot of really supportive people here so I'm sure you'll like it. I'm from the burbs of Philly, so I'm cheering you on from nearby :)

Feel free to add me as a friend here, I love encouraging people!