Why MyFitnessPal?

Options
Hey Fitnesspals!
Jus figuring out which fitness best fits me so thought I'd ask here.

What are you guys drawn to about MyFitnessPal app? What makes you keep you coming back? Is there anything that the app does differently others that you’ve used?

Have you made any friends through this app/forum? Have you found people who inspire you?

Do you do this program/exercise with friends/other people you know?

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Seffell wrote: »
    I started replying and then realised you're interviewing. What do you need this information for?

1. Interview
    2. Take notes
    3. ?
    4. Profit

This is the only strategy that makes any sense.
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't know OP's purpose, but confused why this is flagged as spam? Yes its their first post, but hey've been a member for 2 years.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    I started replying and then realised you're interviewing. What do you need this information for?

1. Interview
    2. Take notes
    3. ?
    4. Profit

5. Try to develop a competing app.

I'd say, good luck with this. MFP is unique, huge, active, easy, free. I've looked for other apps that would fit my needs and there aren't any.
  • cashleyow
    cashleyow Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    sorry guys! I am just weighing my options and getting some fitspiration from others ! maybe I should have just cut it short to - Why MyFitnessPal? (:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cashleyow wrote: »
    sorry guys! I am just weighing my options and getting some fitspiration from others ! maybe I should have just cut it short to - Why MyFitnessPal? (:

What kind of features are you looking for?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    has a pretty good database, could use some scrubbing though. Pretty easy to use. Forums are fairly active.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Free. Good database. Interesting / active forums.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like mostly for the forums. It's one of the few places where I don't have to bite my lip every time people start discussing extreme losses, ACV, fads, or woo and no one says anything. I find more likeminded people here than anywhere else because many are not "just trying to lose xx weight within xx months" without thinking a day further, but there is very useful insight about what it takes to lasting sustainable changes without overcomplicating things or living in a bubble.

I also like that the database is global, although not perfect. I still have to double check entries, but at least I have a starting point with this app.

I like that nothing is predetermined for me. I get to customize anything I want about my eating preferences. Calories, number of meals, macros, exercise calories...etc. I like that it uses the NEAT method which fits my dieting style better and allows me to eat extra calories. I can just do whatever I want without having to stick to a certain program or a rigid structure
    As for friends, I'm not the online friend making kind. I also prefer to work/diet/exercise alone.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like mostly for the forums. It's one of the few places where I don't have to bite my lip every time people start discussing extreme losses, ACV, fads, or woo and no one says anything. I find more likeminded people here than anywhere else because many are not "just trying to lose xx weight within xx months" without thinking a day further, but there is very useful insight about what it takes to lasting sustainable changes without overcomplicating things or living in a bubble.

I also like that the database is global, although not perfect. I still have to double check entries, but at least I have a starting point with this app.

I like that nothing is predetermined for me. I get to customize anything I want about my eating preferences. Calories, number of meals, macros, exercise calories...etc. I like that it uses the NEAT method which fits my dieting style better and allows me to eat extra calories. I can just do whatever I want without having to stick to a certain program or a rigid structure
    As for friends, I'm not the online friend making kind. I also prefer to work/diet/exercise alone.

Your first paragraph is spot on. MFP is the only place where I can talk to anyone about diet or fitness without feeling like I'm talking to dr. oz.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    1. Free and easy to use
    2. Allows for greater flexibility in my choices. Other plans I thought it was a done deal if I ate 200 calories of cookies. Now I can fit it in and recover the rest of my day.
    3. I'm actually learning helpful things about weight loss, maintenance, and exercise that I previously had to pay for. The forums are amazing.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's free and there's a pretty good knowledge base here. While it can be a bit of a headache at times, the exchange/sharing of information here is typically excellent.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    A lot of echo in my answers...
    Free. Good database of food and exercise. Even though I think the exercise numbers tend to be high, it gives me a starting point to edit. Phone app integrates and has bar code scanning.
    I realize a lot of the above is available from other apps/sites, but I had mfp recommended and got invested in it pretty quickly by tracking here. I haven't run into a problem that made me wish I had made a different choice.
    The forums are pretty good. There are some regulars who are knowledgeable about a lot of topics. Not a lot of bro science pushing questionable ideas. Lots of tolerance for different macro mixes; most people acknowledge CICO and understand their preference for low carb or low fat or IF or whatever is just that - a preference that works for them to stay at or under goal. They shut people down for promoting obviously unhealthy ideas; I was one of them when I first landed here as I was taking off weight too fast. A lot of patient people have helped me with my anxiety at trying to maintain as I have not been successful in the past.
    I know it is mostly my personal commitment that got me to lose the weight. I lost 68 pounds; a little over half of it after joining. The first half I took off too quickly crash dieting and was probably headed toward another maintenance train wreck. Advice here is largely responsible for putting me in a much better position to transition to maintenance. 7 months of maintenance may not be that much, but it is compared to how things went in the past. Despite my anxiety, it hasn't been a real struggle either.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

1. Interview
    2. Take notes
    3. ?
    4. Profit

5. Try to develop a competing app.

I'd say, good luck with this. MFP is unique, huge, active, easy, free. I've looked for other apps that would fit my needs and there aren't any.

Well yeah that would be #3, the implementation gap in all great plans!
  • Cinner29
    Cinner29 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like that everyone here believes in the simple rule of calories in, calories out. I tried other diet discussion venues and all the "OMG you're in starvation mode" all the time drove me insane.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    There is nothing like it out there. There is another forum/app but it feels/looks childish, it's too busy and I don't like their food database.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I will say that MFP was the best thing that happened to me - happened upon it by chance in 2012 when I was at my heaviest weight and I'd had enough of being called the curvy sister/friend! - go figure losing weight is all about eating less than we burn, this app certainly helped me figure that out :smile:

I still hang around here because I enjoy participating in the forums.