Keto Newbie....Day 1 of Keto and Intermittent Fasting... Looking for like-minded people...

Options
Hello my names Ruth. Today's my first 1st day on the keto diet, along with intermittent fasting. I'm 45 years old, I weigh 178 lbs, 5'2". I would like to lose at least 33 lb, as I'm comfortable at the weight 145lbs... However 125 would be ideal.... I'm just kind of winging the diet, I don't know anybody personally who's attempted this diet. I must say I was a bit skeptical with eating so much fat, as that's something I have always try to steer clear of. So I decided to start with1250 calories per day, with 75% fat, 20% protein, with 5% carbs. Today being my first day I noticed it was challenging to complete my food, as well as I felt very bloated full and gassy LOL.... I've decided to start my fast daily at 7 p.m. until 11 a.m. giving me 16 hour fast. Does this sound okay??? Right now I'm kinda freestyling my plan, I'm open for any and all suggestions, as well as encouragement and weight loss success stories. Thank You for reading my story and good luck on your journey... 💪💪💪

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Why Keto though? If fat is filling for you, it sounds like a perfect idea. Eating at 11am is what I do too, it is easier for me to stay at the right calories for me.
  • Rcharest
    Rcharest Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have tried everything else including vegan and raw vegan...another reason I chose keto is im curious about how I would feel running on keytones and buring fat instead of sugar.... I have to admit it kinda sounds easier to me... Also my hunny will be joining me soon, and considering he can have bacon and sausage I'm sure he will stick to this. longer than he would any other option... Lol
  • Rcharest
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I decided to try keto with fasting, because my weight has been on a continuous upward swing and it seems like no matter what option I try I'm, having a difficult time shedding pounds and keeping it off. The fasting seems pretty easy for me considering I am asleep sleeping for half of the time. Also I believe the bloating and gassy feeling may be because today is only my first day with incorporating High fats and low carbs. I'm journaling my progress to track my changes.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Let us know how it works out for you.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    RonyMack wrote: »
    The keto only fad seems to be fizzling out. Now it's keto + fasting. Hope it works for you though.

You need to catch up!
  • Rcharest
    Options
    Let us know how it works out for you.
    Thank You... I will... 😀
  • Rcharest
    Options
    RonyMack wrote: »
    The keto only fad seems to be fizzling out. Now it's keto + fasting. Hope it works for you though.

Thank You! 😀
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    Read a lot, get your electrolytes and eat your vegetables. I've been on and off keto for almost 2 months (I had an injury and couldn't really cook so I was off for about a week) and I'm currently 9 lbs down with about 30-35 lbs left to loose. I didn't really intend to fast but sometimes I do because I'm just not hungry. Also play with your macros and figure out what works best for you, not just what everyone recommends. I was about ready to give up on 5% carbs so I experimented and switched my macros to 70% fat, 20% protein and 10 % carbs and I find it is more sustainable for me. Also, if you are on Facebook there are some good keto groups that have a ton of info for beginners. Oh, and in case you wanted the stats: 35 years old, 5'4" Current weight 165.4, goal 130-135 calories goal at 1590 per day but I usually stay under by 100-200
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Rcharest wrote: »
    I decided to try keto with fasting, because my weight has been on a continuous upward swing and it seems like no matter what option I try I'm, having a difficult time shedding pounds and keeping it off. The fasting seems pretty easy for me considering I am asleep sleeping for half of the time. Also I believe the bloating and gassy feeling may be because today is only my first day with incorporating High fats and low carbs. I'm journaling my progress to track my changes.

if your weight is going up then you are eating more than you think(aside from any possible health issue) which is really easy to do and you may not think that you are doing that. Ive been there and done that .do you use a food scale? if not get one that measures in grams and measure everything. food packaging can be off by up to 20% per serving,2 chicken breast of the same size can be off by 100 calories or more.

weight also fluctuates hour to hour,day to day is that what is happening or is your weight slowly going up? keto and IF isnt going to make a difference in weight loss unless you are in a deficit,you can gain weight fasting(I have) and doing keto. less veggies should mean less gas and bloating unless maybe you have an issue or intolerance to too much fat? which is possible. you could also do IF and just eating in a deficit and try that. but its still going to be about a calorie deficit. keto is not a special way to lose weight even though a lot of people think it is. its still about calories in vs calories out.

I lost weight in the beginning and gained half back and could not understand for the life of me why it was hapening. I got tired of it creeping back up so I came here and was told to get a food scale and weigh everything and to make sure the entries in mfp were accurate. I did that and lost what I gained back and then some. now im (for now) maintaining my weight because Im eating the same amount as my body burns . when I want to lose I eat less than I burn. I thought using cups and spoons and using my fist and hand to gauge portion sizes were accurate,they werent.They were off by a LOT. you have to count oils you use(a tbsp of most oils is 120 calories),condiments,etc . a serving of peanut butter is 2 tbsp, but when you weigh it out its a very small amount. its an eye opener
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you reach 125, will you return to freestyle eating? That's why after losing with many different plans and gaining more back after finishing, I'm just permanently changing to eat like a 175 lb person.
  • Rcharest
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Keto (and low carb in general) and Glycogen

When people switch back and forth from higher carb to lower carb ways of eating, they experience ADDITIONAL weight changes that are NOT reflective of gains or losses of bodily fat reserves.

Basically when you first start eating low carb you deplete your body's "easy access" carb stores, aka glycogen, which is stored in the muscles and liver.

Each ~4 grams of glycogen that you burn produces 4 Calories and removes from your body 1g of stored carbohydrates and 2-3 grams of water which were bound to the 1g of carbohydrates that were used up.

When you add carbs again after a period of low carb eating, these carbs are first tasked towards the replenishment of your depleted glycogen stores. And each gram of carbs that becomes glycogen gets stored with 2-3g of water adding 4g of weight to your body.

So during these transactions you are losing and gaining scale weight; but you are not actually losing or gaining FAT.

Low carbers who do not understand this look at these weight changes as confirmation that the killer carbs are out to get them, not realising that their initial larger (than their deficit would have accounted for) weight loss was "borrowed" against this equal subsequent regain when their glycogen stores normalise.

Keeping this in mind, I think, will greatly enhance your chance of long term success when the inevitable day comes that you see your "hard work disappear" on a day you have a slice of birthday cake.

Very well explained!!😀
  • Rcharest
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    If you reach 125, will you return to freestyle eating? That's why after losing with many different plans and gaining more back after finishing, I'm just permanently changing to eat like a 175 lb person.

I would work hard to maintain that weight.. 💪💪
  • Rcharest
    Options
    Hi! I have been eating the "Keto Way" since Aug. 20th. I added Pruvit exogenous ketones on Aug. 22. To date I have lost 9.2 lbs. I don't always get enough fat but I'm doing fairly well at keeping my net carbs under 23 grams per day. the Pruvit drinks are helping me and I'm finally committed!! There is a lot of research out there about the ways doctors use this way of eating for people with various different problems. My advise - take it or leave it! - is to be consistent, measure and track your food, don't give up when the scale doesn't move, and like has been said earlier you have to have a calorie deficit to lose. Be careful about the "keto flu." It may get you down for a couple of days but I prevented it I think by taking supplements of magnesium and potassium for a couple of weeks and drinking water with electrolytes. I wish you well!

Thank u... Good luck in your journey! 😀
  • Rcharest
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »

I would work hard to maintain that weight.. 💪💪
    Maintaining is the hard part

I know..... Ugh!! Lop
  • Rcharest
    Options

if your weight is going up then you are eating more than you think(aside from any possible health issue) which is really easy to do and you may not think that you are doing that. Ive been there and done that .do you use a food scale? if not get one that measures in grams and measure everything. food packaging can be off by up to 20% per serving,2 chicken breast of the same size can be off by 100 calories or more.

weight also fluctuates hour to hour,day to day is that what is happening or is your weight slowly going up? keto and IF isnt going to make a difference in weight loss unless you are in a deficit,you can gain weight fasting(I have) and doing keto. less veggies should mean less gas and bloating unless maybe you have an issue or intolerance to too much fat? which is possible. you could also do IF and just eating in a deficit and try that. but its still going to be about a calorie deficit. keto is not a special way to lose weight even though a lot of people think it is. its still about calories in vs calories out.

I lost weight in the beginning and gained half back and could not understand for the life of me why it was hapening. I got tired of it creeping back up so I came here and was told to get a food scale and weigh everything and to make sure the entries in mfp were accurate. I did that and lost what I gained back and then some. now im (for now) maintaining my weight because Im eating the same amount as my body burns . when I want to lose I eat less than I burn. I thought using cups and spoons and using my fist and hand to gauge portion sizes were accurate,they werent.They were off by a LOT. you have to count oils you use(a tbsp of most oils is 120 calories),condiments,etc . a serving of peanut butter is 2 tbsp, but when you weigh it out its a very small amount. its an eye opener

Good point!!! Luckily I do have a scale, but honestly haven't used the measuring spoond or cups was eyeballing it and probably should... I also just have to remember to adjust my calories as my weight drops...