Feeling guilty :Ate mcdonalds

Hi everyone
i'm feeling so guilty : yesterday morning i failed my drivers licence and was a bit overwhelmed.
i hadn't eaten since 4 in the afternoon and went to mc donalds.
It was my only meal and didn't went over my 1200 calories intake but i still feel like *kitten*.
This morning i weighted 800gr more than yesterday morning and can't get it out of my head

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    No need for guilt, nothing wrong with the odd MacDonald's meal etc. Losing weight is about being consistently in calorie deficit, the odd day being over in calories wont alter progress.. you don't say how much over the 1200 you were but the chances are you still didn't eat above maintenance calories so no harm done. And even if you did eat above maintenance calories, your other lower days will balance it out. It what we do the majority of the time that counts, not one off days.

Your weight spiked, its no biggie, fluctuations happen and they're normal for everyone.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    It’s normal weight fluctuations. May be the sodium in McDonald’s.
    Don’t stress over daily weight fluctuations, it happens all the time. Look at the big picture over a few weeks. McDonald’s doesn’t cause weight gain, eating more calories than your body burns causes weight gain.
    As far as your drivers license goes, many people fail the first time. Practice more, then go take it again. You have got this! Both your drivers license, and your weight loss goals.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Food is not inherently good or bad. Does McDonald's have some negatives? Sure. It's very calorie dense which makes it sometimes hard to fit into a calorie controlled diet. It's got a lot of sodium which, while that isn't necessarily altogether bad since our bodies need sodium (plus, I remember hearing that recent research indicates that sodium isn't directly linked to increased heart issues. I can't remember where I heard it so please don't quote me. Regardless, your body still needs sodium or your electrolytes get all out of whack), for people like me who tend to retain extra water causing an edema in the feet and lower legs (too much weight + too muchsodium=edema for me) can be a nasty side effect. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that the burger still has protein and the tomato and lettuce still have fiber. That weight gain you saw was probably water weight from the extra sodium.

I'm not trying to imply that everyone should go out and eat all the McDonald's all the time. But realistically speaking: unless you have some severe medical condition, you won't die from a burger and fries once every blue moon.

So let's break this down. First the numbers. You say it was the only thing you ate since four and it didn't go over your 1200 calories. For the sake of the argument, let's say the meal was 1200 calories which is the most the meal could have been without going over your calories if you ate nothing else that day. And let's say that this was a normal day where that meal doubled your calorie intake. And let's say that normally, eating at 1200 puts you at a 250 calorie deficit for a half a pound of loss per week. If every other day that week you stayed at you're correct deficit, you would still be at a 550 calorie deficit for the week. One McDonald's meal, as far as numbers are concerned, isn't the end of the world.

So let's talk about the mental stuff. It seems like there are some underlying food issues. I'm wondering how old you are as well, mostly because if you are younger (15,16, 17) food issues piled onto the normal being a teenager issues makes being a teenager that much more difficult. Regardless of age, food issues are a *kitten* to deal with (coming from someone who has had food issues their whole life). You may want to talk to someone about these issues. If you are young and still in school, maybe start with taking to a guidance counselor or a teacher that you trust. Plus regardless of whether or not you're trying to affect change in your body, emotionally eating is potentially setting you up for a lifetime of heartache and can lead to binge eating.

Also, you may want to reevaluate if 1200 calories is the correct number for you. Unless you are sedentary and very short, going as low as 1200 may not be required to create a deficit. Also, if you aren't obese, it may even make your rate of loss too high. I'm saying this because even if eating at 1200 calories puts you at a deficit to lose 1% of your body weight, which is considered the upper limit of healthy rate of loss, this may still be too much of a deficit. If it makes you mentally unhealthy, it's not sustainable. You run the risk of having an emotional blowout and quitting on yourself, possibly putting the weight back on, and doing more damage to your overall health in the long run. If the deficit is more than 1% if your bodyweight for extended periods of time you also have potentially more severe risks that lead to bigger health complications.

Sorry this is so long but the takeaway should be this: that one meal isn't the end of the world, you can healthily for treats into your eating lifestyle, reactionary eating isn't a treat, you may want to find a professional to talk to, and maybe check to see that you're eating in a way that is long term and sustainable.

I'm sorry you didn't pass the test. I promise this doesn't make you a bad person. I failed the driving test 3 times because I could not learn how to parallel park. And when I finally did, I would get test anxiety and couldn't do it during the test. I eventually learned, and even ended up living in a place that forced me to get so good at parallel parking that now I can do it quickly and get into spaces that others wouldn't even attempt!

You are going to be ok. You can do this.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    It’s really not a big deal to eat less than ideal food every once in awhile. Your weight is probably up from the excess sodium that is usually in fast food and is just water weight. Beating yourself up for going to McDonalds when you stayed within your calorie goals is not healthy. You don’t have to be perfect all the time to lose weight. You don’t have to only eat fruits and veggies to lose weight. All you have to do is keep tracking and make sure the good days outweigh the bad ones.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Stop feeling guilty for eating, and stop obsessing over weight fluctuations, or you won't get anywhere (not anywhere nice anyway). You can take the test again. And you will pass. Because next time, you've had breakfast.

*mic drop*
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    I have McDonald's once a week, pretty much. I used to feel so guilty about eating foods that have been labelled "bad" or "unhealthy", and it's taken me more years than I care to admit to finally realize that no food is bad, and I can incorporate any food I want into my diet. That useless guilt is now slowly receding.

I choose more nutritious foods more often now, but that doesn't mean I'm never going to chow down on an ice cream sundae and a hot apple pie. It's usually within my calories, anyway, and if I go over, I do my best to eat more optimally within my calories in the following days.

One thing I don't do is jump on the scales the day after and stress about water weight. This is because I tend to become obsessed with the numbers and get extremely discouraged, even to the point of triggering my depression, when they don't appear to be heading downwards.

I had to learn that weight fluctuates, that weight loss isn't linear, that the scales aren't necessarily accurate, and that they only tell me what I weigh, not how my body is composed. I can tell I'm continuing to lose weight because I observe the changes in my body. Those changes show me what the scale might not.

I do think you need to talk to someone, whether that's a therapist or dietitian, to get some perspective, and to help you to stop panicking and feeling guilty and desperate when you eat something that you've been duped into thinking is the fount of all evil. It's not. Food is food. It's how we react to it that causes the issues.
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    mm anyone else wanting fast food now?? i sure do
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2018
    mm anyone else wanting fast food now?? i sure do

Yes! A McGriddle, specifically!

53m1w7l4yawi.jpg
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Probably have something from McDonalds this evening as we are driving a couple hundred miles.

But instead of fries, I'll get apple slices.

You can do that.

One can make good food choices at McD's.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    you ate it, you can't do anything about it now.
    mcdonald's isn't inherently bad. i enjoy a mcgriddle, or their fries, or their mcchicken
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Believe it or not, fast food is actually really close to posted cals. Nothing wrong with it IMHO, I just prefer not to spend my money or cals there unless i have to. Enjoy it. Move on.