Help!! Keto Newbie....Day 2

Options
Carbs!! I hate figuring out carbs... My goal was 5% of weight so 16 carbs.... I wasn't counting fiber and yesterday i had 27 -12 fiber carbs. today already at 32 -10 fiber. For some reason when I was looking at macros I was seeing the carbs like. -11 thinking i had that many left not over by that amount..... Is there a easy way to eat more fatty foods less carbs? I'm eating alot of greens like spinach, greens, avocados, etc...

Replies

• bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just set your macros. MFP will take care of figuring out what each food contains.

16g carbs is pretty low and probably very hard at which to stay. More like 25-30g, IMO would be easier to manage. The minus means that you have eaten too many of a particular macro. The avocados have a good amount of fat. Another way to get more fat would be to have eggs cooked in butter and a strip or two of bacon. Nuts and cheese are high in fat too.

I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be.
  • Rcharest
    Rcharest Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    To eat more fatty foods and less carbs, choose foods that are higher in fat and lower in carbohydrates? I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here.

I can see how the question is confusing....To me it seems very difficult to only eat 16 carbs...and hit calories needed by end of day... Has anybody else expierenced this as a problem, but founf a solution by figuring out more combinations of foods with more fats that have nearly no carbs? Just looking for a easier way, or tips and pointers.. 😀
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Unless you have severe insulin resistance, you are still eating at ketogenic carb levels. Most people will be ketogenic under 50 g carbs. Perhaps go with a carb goal of 5-10% (16-32g) instead if that works better for you?

If you need carbs very low, then you'll probably need to cut some of your veggies back a bit. Nuts or grains also have a fair bit of carbs.
  • Rcharest
    Rcharest Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Holy cow; that’s way too few. Is there some reason you’ve chosen such a low target? For keto all you need is for your net carbs to account for 10% or less of your calories. Subtract fiber from carbs, multiply the result by 4, and compare that to your total calories for the day. 16 would be 10% of 640 calories, and if you’re only eating 640 calories all day we need to have a totally different conversation.

My diary is open, and every day that I track I’m in ketosis. You’re being way more strict than the diet calls for, and if it’s not working for you....stop that.

Thank u!! I sent u a message!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Rcharest wrote: »
    To eat more fatty foods and less carbs, choose foods that are higher in fat and lower in carbohydrates? I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here.

I can see how the question is confusing....To me it seems very difficult to only eat 16 carbs...and hit calories needed by end of day... Has anybody else expierenced this as a problem, but founf a solution by figuring out more combinations of foods with more fats that have nearly no carbs? Just looking for a easier way, or tips and pointers.. 😀

Hey OP I'm new to Keto as well and trying to get a few go to recipes. There is a Keto group on here with people with a lot of experience so I would also suggest stopping by there.
    Ive adjusted my macros (based on advice on the keto forum) to 5% carbs, 65% fat, 30% protein. Just slightly higher on the protein and lower on the fat. Currently my go to foods-
    Green leafy salads of course
    Avocados are your friend
    Homeade jalapeno poppers - bacon, cream cheese
    Stuffed chicken.
    Four cheese lasagna with zuchinni noodles
    Heavy cream - I use it in my coffee and protein shakes.
    Pan fried chicken wings with Frank's buffalo sauce. Zero carbs and super yummy.

Essentially i've upped my cheese game a lot.
    Oh I also made a super yummy cream of mushroom soup that was pretty low carb and very satisfying.

I'm eating at 20 g net carbs per day and find I feel very full and satisfied. Plus the rich food makes hitting calorie goal not too hard.
    As a side point - you may be able to hit ketosis while eating more carbs. So far I find that if I stay under 30 g, it doesnt affect me. I still aim for 20 but if I go over by a bit I dont sweat it. Once you are in Ketosis its enough, you don't get "extra points" for more Ketones.

• LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    For keto, there is a wide range of carbs you could have. Still low, but most folks do 20 or lower, some 30 or even up to 50 if they exercise a good bit.
    It sounds like you're doing fine. If you're wanting to try to cut carbs a little, more protein and pick veggies with less carbs. If you want more fat, cook your protein with butter. Use heavy whipping cream in sauces or in coffee.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Stay below fifty and you will do fine. The fiber carbs don't count against your total either. I don't count but just avoid the typical carbs. The veggie carbs I do eat just not the high carb root veggies.