Best affordable accurate scale?

MeganReid1991
MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
I currently am using a WW one but it seems super inaccurate. If I move it to a different room it says I’ve gained or lost 6 pounds...
I don’t have a ton of money to spend but I would like something more accurate.

Replies

• bostonjim23
    bostonjim23 Posts: 41 Member
    Smart scales are supposed to be more accurate though not sure which is the best for your buck.
  • MeganReid1991
    Still looking!! Please help!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Not sure what your budget is, but I bought this one from Amazon almost 2 years ago now for $50 and it's been accurate for me. Customer service is amazing if you have any issues, and the app that comes with it syncs to a bunch of different apps like MyFitnessPal/Fitbit/etc so it'll automatically adjust your logged weight. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Connected-Solution-including-Backlit/dp/B00N9ENKDI
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    This is the one I have, been using it for over a year. (I also have a Tanita that I've had for about 10 years - that only goes up to 300 so at my peak I couldn't use it.) Doesn't need to connect to the app, you just get tons of additional info if you do. I have it connected to my fitbit. As for accurate, I often step on it right before I go to my WW meeting and I weigh the same on it or the one at my meetings. High weight is 400lbs. I think it will hold stats for up to 5 people.

https://www.amazon.com/Yunmai-Bluetooth-Weighing-Composition-Analyzer/dp/B01GKDYHGS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538169718&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=yunmai&th=1
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    I currently am using a WW one but it seems super inaccurate. If I move it to a different room it says I’ve gained or lost 6 pounds...

Are both floors tiled?
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    mmnv79 wrote: »

Are both floors tiled?

OMG this is SO important! My Yunmai will not work on a rug. I keep it in the dining room and have a specific tile on the kitchen floor (our downstairs bathroom is too small and the floor is too crooked) where I place it. You do need to make sure that it is placed on a hard floor that is level. Our house is 200+ years old, hard to find a level space LOL
  • Healthy_Libby
    Healthy_Libby Posts: 26 Member
    active era on amazon
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    ata1anta wrote: »
    mmnv79 wrote: »

Are both floors tiled?

OMG this is SO important! My Yunmai will not work on a rug. I keep it in the dining room and have a specific tile on the kitchen floor (our downstairs bathroom is too small and the floor is too crooked) where I place it. You do need to make sure that it is placed on a hard floor that is level. Our house is 200+ years old, hard to find a level space LOL

Same here, I got mine in the only room that has tiled floor. I wonder if the OP has used in both, carpet or wooden floor vs tiled, and that's why there's a big difference.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    This scale is pretty accurate, but it doesn't have Wi-Fi or an App.

EatSmart Precision Premium Digital Bathroom Scale with 3.5" LCD and "Step-On" Technology - $35

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MK6QKO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have the Withings Body Cardio scale. It has Wi-Fi, an app and tracks weight, heart rate, BMI, Body Fat, Body Water, Muscle Mass and Bone Mass. But it is a lot more expensive. It is currently $179 on Amazon.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    I use this scale that I picked up at Target a few years ago and I've never had any problems with it. It was about $20. It always reads accurate numbers in comparison with what my weight is at the doctors office. Works well for me!
    https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Digital-Silver/dp/B009WN0L82

• MeganReid1991
    I never use the scale on carpet only hardwood floors. & I really try and weigh myself on the same spot. Maybe my floors are uneven the house is very old.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    Most will change if you're on a different surface, or something like that.

Here's the thing: It's really not that important for a scale to be exactly accurate. What matters is for it to be consistent. (If your scale says you weigh 125, and you feel good, your clothes fit, and you're happy with your appearance, does it matter if you "really" weigh 128? Not much, I'd argue.)

If your scale will give you a consistent weight (or close) while in the same place and used under the same conditions, it's a useful tool for fat loss. You'll be able to see whether your weight goes up, down, or stays the same over a rational period for evaluating that (i.e., multiple weeks). Since scale weight fluctuates up and down by a small number of pounds routinely from water weight and changes in temporary digestive system contents (not yet eliminated), and what we really care about is fat/muscle gain/loss/stability, true accuracy isn't essential.

Our home scale's not ever going to agree with the ones at the doctor's office and the gym anyway, because our water weight changes by the time we move from one to the other just because of things like breathing and sweating, even without eating or drinking (and I'm completely ignoring the influence of clothes).

Don't let the shifting scale mess with your brain. It's likely that the one you've got will work fine; just leave it in one spot and use it in the same way. (I line mine up with specific floor tiles. ;) ).
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited September 2018
    I like my glass digital scale, made by Taylor Company. It weighs and gives you tenths of a pound. Actually only by two tenths. For example: 140.2, 140.4, 140.6 I appreciate having tenths of a pound since I lose so slowly at least I can see progress even if I lose less than a pound in a week.

We shopped around and it was less than $20 at a Target. You may find the same scale labeled Eat Smart instead of Taylor.
  • MeganReid1991
    The problem is mine can be like 6 or 8 pounds inaccurate..
    even in the same spot. While I’m a total believer in trying to be happy with other non scale victory’s.
    It’s fustersting when I don’t know if I’m losing or not because I’m trying to adjust my calories and find that sweet spot!
  • MeganReid1991
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    I have the Garmin Index Smart Scale. It is on a hard, and level, tiled floor. When I was doing a weightloss challenge for work, I'd weigh myself on this daily, and then weekly on an I-beam scale. Usually was about a 1 lb difference between them.
  • mtdb8
    mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
    even in the same spot. While I’m a total believer in trying to be happy with other non scale victory’s.
    It’s fustersting when I don’t know if I’m losing or not because I’m trying to adjust my calories and find that sweet spot!

My scale does the same thing. I dont feel I can trust it
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member

That's not inaccurate. Maybe a 0.5lb - 1lb variance could be described as 'inaccurate' if the scale is stationary. And if moving the scales from one floor to another a 2lb or 3lb variance might be able to be written off as 'inaccurate'. Any more than that and it's just plain broken.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    edited November 2018
    This is the scale I have and it seems to be very accurate. It has an "athlete" and regular mode. It will also calibrates whenever you move the scale. Never put a scale on carpet - it needs to be on a flat surface. The only downside to that scale is you have to download the app otherwise you will only get your weight and not any of the BF, hydration, muscle mass, etc. readings. I would NOT recommend the "INEVIFIT" that Amazon sells. It was way off and never properly read BF and hydration levels. I would drink a gallon of water and it would only read my hydration level was 41% and it was never that low before. It also read a high 39% BF which I knew was highly inaccurate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DYL7J4B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    I never use the scale on carpet only hardwood floors. & I really try and weigh myself on the same spot. Maybe my floors are uneven the house is very old.

What kind of scale do you own? If it's a digital one and you move it around each time you weigh yourself, it needs to be calibrated. Some will calibrate themselves, others you have to step on it, then immediately step off and wait for the scale to read 0