physiology lab testing for training zones

I'm getting a Athletic Performance Profile from a physiology lab. It will test my VO2 max and establish personalized heart rate training zones using a combination of blood lactate and ventilatory values. I've never done anything like this before. I am super excited, but also nervous! Any suggestions on how to prepare would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    How fun!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Oooooh, interesting!
  • Demander2015
    Demander2015 Posts: 31 Member
    HIIT increases VO2 max, long periods of steady state cardio improve endurance. As for cardio zones, they depend on a lot of factors - age, weight, body fat percentage, training, anaerobic threshold, aerobic anaerobic balance etc. Just be yourself and do your best. Let us know the results if you are comfortable with that.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2018
    Unless you have months before the testing just follow any directions they give you and show up. Since you'll do a bike, treadmill, or some other form of exercise for the test eat like you normally woul prior to a fairly intense workout (i.e. most likely not right after a heavy meal.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    I'm taking it in about 2 months, so I have a little time to "study" for the test. HIIT is out because I have blood pressure issues and fast/slow can make me faint.

Thanks @Packerjohn- eat like I would before a workout is a good suggestion, I didn't even think of that. That also makes me think I should try to schedule it in the morning as that's almost always when I exercise.