Exercising won’t help you lose weight. Only cutting calories REALLY makes the difference.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I lost at around 1 pound a week. I burned around 500 calories a day with exercise when I was actively losing.

Did that 1 pound a week loss come from the 500 calorie a day deficit created from the amount of food I ate or was it from the 500 calories extra a day I could eat because of exercise?

You can not say that exercising won’t help you lose weight. Only cutting calories REALLY makes the difference. You can lose weight without exercising and what you eat makes a more significant difference for most people because there simply are not enough hours in the day to eat away a poor diet through exercise. To say that exercise makes no difference is, however, incorrect. It is all part of balancing the CICO equation.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Exercise is the tipping point for some people because they intuitively eat maintenance calories and exercise creates the deficit. This is why some people march through here extolling the power of exercise while also saying they never stopped eating differently. Unfortunately these results are only reproduceable in very specific situations so mimicking them is likely to end in failure.

That is not to say people shouldn't exercise or praise exercise they just shouldn't expect it to be the key to their weight loss by itself.

I think the biggest problem with that route is the possibility that you could become injured, which would result in a major change in how you have managed weight loss. I know it is always in the back of my mind that there could come a time when I can not burn as much as I now am and will have to make changes to compensate.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Exercise is the tipping point for some people because they intuitively eat maintenance calories and exercise creates the deficit. This is why some people march through here extolling the power of exercise while also saying they never stopped eating differently. Unfortunately these results are only reproduceable in very specific situations so mimicking them is likely to end in failure.

That is not to say people shouldn't exercise or praise exercise they just shouldn't expect it to be the key to their weight loss by itself.

I think the biggest problem with that route is the possibility that you could become injured, which would result in a major change in how you have managed weight loss. I know it is always in the back of my mind that there could come a time when I can not burn as much as I now am and will have to make changes to compensate.

Add to that if you eat intuitively you may eat more after exercise and then negate your deficit and outside of injury if a person requires a gym to exercise life can get in the way with work, personal responsibilities, and finances for weeks or more.

It does work for a select few but it is not a plan a person should count on.

That's why for me, tracking is NECESSARY! I know that if I get hurt, I have to eat less. That's the end of it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    That's absurd. Of course weight loss is all about the calories, and making sure you consume fewer than you burn. But if the calories I burn during exercise contribute to that deficit, then it does help. Sorry, that's just physics at work.

(Of course, if you do what I did during training for my first marathon years ago and eat all the calories you burned back plus extra, then yeah, exercise won't help you lose. LOL. ;) )

The runger is real!! :bigsmile:

Yes it is!!!
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    What I notice about my body is that when I walk I need to eat those calories back because I’m hungrier, and on days I don’t walk I’m not needing to eat extra. I’m on my 4th month of maintenance and haven’t gained any of the weight I’ve lost. And that’s just staying in my caloric maintenance. Regardless of my walling which is my form of exercise, or not. Just pay attention to your body. It will eventually tell you how much to eat.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Exercise makes a huge difference for me. For some reason it makes me about 90% less likely to overeat. I am less focused on food and less bored. I don't want to outeat my calorie burn most of the time. Only time I gain weight is when I am not exercising.

This is essentially true for me as well - exercise generally prevents me from stress eating or bored eating.

Same. I find I have no problem finding room to eat back my exercise calories, but I shoot for 50% of those and seldom feel hungry. And it occupies my time, so I'm less bored. And it helps my stress levels.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Exercise makes a huge difference for me. For some reason it makes me about 90% less likely to overeat. I am less focused on food and less bored. I don't want to outeat my calorie burn most of the time. Only time I gain weight is when I am not exercising.

This is essentially true for me as well - exercise generally prevents me from stress eating or bored eating.

Yes, and I usually feel less hungry when I exercise a lot. For example, when I cycle a century (100 miles) or more, initially I feel like I'm really hungry, but when I start eating, I discover I'm not. Evidently (I've been told) the blood goes to the legs and away from the stomach and it takes a while before things go back to normal.

When I've lost weight exercising and eating normally or slightly larger quantities, I've been cycling centuries or more just about every weekend ... plus lots of cycling during the week, plus walking as my recovery activity.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I generally find the more active I am the less hungry I am, except for the odd day here and there when the hormones take over and all hell breaks loose.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

When I got hit by a car riding my bike, I wasn't able to exercise for weeks, and only walking for about a month. My appetite shrank like you wouldn't believe.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

A lot of people eat for emotional reasons. Probably everybody does sometimes.

Exercise can provide the same joy and satisfaction as delicious food. It can be fulfilling. Reaching goals makes you feel great. When you're getting all of that from exercise, it's natural that you don't need to look to food for it.