40 pounds weight loss and still no difference.

Options
I have currently lost almost 40 pounds down from 203 pounds. I can see zero visible results and no one around me can

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Hey there, even if you can't go buy new clothes, maybe go try some on? Especially new pants. Try some of the fashionable skinny pants. Men's clothes are super forgiving. My husband has gone from overweight to normal range and can still wear his old pants with a belt, and it's really easy for people not to see the change.

As far as other people -- other people often do not look at you all that closely. And people who see you every day or close to it will likely not see the difference when your weight is changing 1 or 2 tenths of a pound a day.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    With weight loss, we don’t tend to change body shape all too much (unless very obese or doing some sort of resistance training). When I went from 200 to 170, I was smaller, but I was the same shape.

This was me. I got proportionally smaller but looked the same to myself.
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    With weight loss, we don’t tend to change body shape all too much (unless very obese or doing some sort of resistance training). When I went from 200 to 170, I was smaller, but I was the same shape.

This happens to me when I take a selfie from 5 feet away, then someone takes one of me 50 feet away. :/
  • marksweightloss
    marksweightloss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see the weight loss in your legs....Great job!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    There's a difference. Whether or not your brain is letting you see it is another story. This is why progress pictures and body measurements are important. If nothing else, try on an item of clothing (something fitted, not elastic waist) that you wore 40 pounds ago and see how it fits now.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    From personal experience, 40lbs is not all equal. I once lost 40lbs quickly, and saw no real change, and my clothes were the same size. I gained it back quickly.

I started exercising extremely heavy, and 40lbs came off again, except extremely slowly. I changed from 2x to M skirt. It was a huge difference and everyone noticed. It's stayed off, and I've lost 10 more lbs since.

Don't be discouraged. Do as the posters here suggest - take before and after pics, and incorporate strength training. Congratulations!

And also note what is callled the paper towel effect - you notice the weight loss more the closer you get to your goal. The first ten pounds don't make a big difference, but the last 10lbs looks like a drastic change. It might just take another ten pounds for everyone to go, OH MY GOSH YOU'VE LOST SO MUCH WEIGHT!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,830 Member
    Options
    RonyMack wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »

This happens to me when I take a selfie from 5 feet away, then someone takes one of me 50 feet away. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm at 79 pounds, and yes, I can see differences as can my hubby...but NO ONE else has noticed and when I mentioned it to my mom she bluffed her way through the conversation "Oh sure honey, I see it now a bit in your face."...sure Mom.

That said I have gone from a size 26 to 18, and I've had to replace ALL of my clothes. However there is not a huge visible difference, even at almost 80 pounds gone! Trust me, I wasn't thrilled with that but I'm not losing weight for praise, I'm losing so I feel better and like myself even more. Now I am admittedly a little bummed no one has noticed, but I feel great and get to shop for clothes a lot :smile: