Dr. says, "Fiber, Fiber, Fiber" Looking for advice (Food/Supplement/Etc)

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest logging all your foods and diarizing the effects. I found potatoes did not agree with me, and that Kefir did me worlds of good.

Try both soluble and insoluble fiber. I do best with soluble; oatmeal and soaked chia. Popcorn works great but YMMV.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Pears!
    Popcorn.
  • shakachewbacca
    shakachewbacca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Split pea soup is an easy fiber option.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Plants. Eat plants. Eat them at every meal. Eat a variety of them.
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am sure you already know this, but with your diverticulitis please avoid seeds, nuts, and fruits with small seeds i.e. strawberries unless your doctor told you different. I am sure that they sent you home with educational materials for your conditions. Best of luck!
  • 789D789
    789D789 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1 cup old fashioned oats, add small handful of nuts (walnuts or almonds), half cup of frozen cherries or blueberries - cook in water for about 15 mins (or use for overnight oats). Milk or soy milk, maple syrup or honey...

French green lentils cooked with onions and chicken broth, served with chicken thighs.

Chickpea and chicken curry (I make this with curry paste + coco milk) served with whole grain basmati.

I find these grain sources of fibre easier to digest than a lot of fruit. And second the comments on hydration. The curry in particular works well frozen for food prepping/portion control.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used to follow a diet called the F Plan, and lost quite a bit. I now just watch calories in and out, but not because I had a problem with that diet. From memory, F Plan was probably fairly high in carbs but it worked. One of my go to meals was jacket potato with baked beans. I used to make up a cereal (their recipe) which I had twice a day. I was never hungry.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Justin741 wrote: »
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    Not sure what your condition is; however, there is different kinds of fiber. If you have a intestinal condition you are going to want to do an experiment with the different supplements to make sure you don't irritate anything. I would suggest veggies and lots of them along with the higher fiber fruits including avacado.

Also, you could try IF with some resistant starch as you break fast. This has helped some people with gastro issues. Basically you starve then feed the gut microbioata.

I had a bout of diverticulitis and also seem to have IBS.

I think you should try to keep your diet very clean, lean meats veggies, eggs.

My IF and resistant starch suggestions I think are sound. Try tubers (potato, sweet potato etc) and white rice for your carbs.

Make the fasts as long as you can tolerate. Start with 16/8 then maybe go longer between carb feedings.

• 789D789
    789D789 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It sometimes seems like a challenge to have high protein/lower carb OR higher fibre 'natural' foods.

What I have seen before is people using supplements (metamucil/laxatives etc.) both for weight loss and for fibre sources. They can be difficult to quit using once started, so I avoid them.

Do you have a numerical goal for the day?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Justin741 wrote: »
    Not sure what your condition is; however, there is different kinds of fiber. If you have a intestinal condition you are going to want to do an experiment with the different supplements to make sure you don't irritate anything. I would suggest veggies and lots of them along with the higher fiber fruits including avacado.

Also, you could try IF with some resistant starch as you break fast. This has helped some people with gastro issues. Basically you starve then feed the gut microbioata.

I had a bout of diverticulitis and also seem to have IBS.

I think you should try to keep your diet very clean, lean meats veggies, eggs.

My IF and resistant starch suggestions I think are sound. Try tubers (potato, sweet potato etc) and white rice for your carbs.

Make the fasts as long as you can tolerate. Start with 16/8 then maybe go longer between carb feedings.

OP has a diagnosed medical condition for which he is seeing a gastroenteroligist.

Telling him to fast for as long as he can tolerate seems very poor advice.

OP, people have given good suggestions of fibre rich foods - and natural supplements like Metamucil could be good for you too.

Do not follow any other advice unless your doctor approves it first.