What causes you to struggle with ab exercises?

Options
Hi All,
I have noticed I really struggle doing ab exercises and I am wondering what the possible reasons could be? I also struggle a lot to do a push up (even on my knees) and I'm trying really hard to do them. My current weight is 53Kg with most my weight on my legs. Not sure where I'm going wrong. I was wondering if having diastasis recti would be the cause? Although I haven't had anyone check if I have this or not.
Please help.
Thanks,
Sabrina

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Try incline push ups instead.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    A lot of people struggle to do press ups and ab exercises, especially with good form. They need strength in more areas than you might think (I used to teach martial arts and getting kids to do a proper push up took ages!). Have a look online, there are lots of resources that will help you gradually and safely build up to a full press up - including the incline press up as mentioned above.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    MadamSabs wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I have noticed I really struggle doing ab exercises and I am wondering what the possible reasons could be? I also struggle a lot to do a push up (even on my knees) and I'm trying really hard to do them. My current weight is 53Kg with most my weight on my legs. Not sure where I'm going wrong. I was wondering if having diastasis recti would be the cause? Although I haven't had anyone check if I have this or not.
    Please help.
    Thanks,
    Sabrina

You need practice to increase strength. Patience, and keep practising. Focus on form. Better to finally do 1 single push up with good form, than 5 that are not right,
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I first started ab training it was my hip flexors. They alway seemed to take over, My low back was really starting to hurt. After researching all the fitness gurus on youtube I found one movement that took the flexors out of play. I did that movement for months before I moved onto others like leg raises. I don't like to plug anyone but it was a video on mind pump. The one where you anchor your feet and sit on end of bench.
    tyhxg85h7yjj.png
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Pain!!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I usually neglect core work, b/c it's hard; it's hard, b/c I don't do it...that's why I struggle.

Have a dr check you for diastasis recti. Planks are a place to start, cable crunches, leg raises...I've found that hitting my core twice a week (consistenly) made a big difference in core strength pretty quickly.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Someone pointed me at this article (click). Don't be turned off by it being at a body builder site. The author recommends a slow progression into it that makes a lot of sense. I have back issues and his info on effects of common abs exercises on the lower back definitely hit home with me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I hate ab exercises, and the reason is that breathing is difficult when your abs are contracted and your core is held tight.
    Trying slowing down so that you can get a good breath in between each rep of whatever exercise you are doing. it might help.