Need motivation, Sugar addict, I don't know what's to do.

Options
Hi I'm Ana from Brazil currently living in Ireland I'm very short 5'1 and 183 pounds, I'm obese. I like healthy food, but I don't love green vegetable, just if I juice it. I like brown rice and pasta, roasted and cooked lean protein, fruits, I like Almond, soya and coconut milk. I love nuts, 85%,90% dark chocolate, flat brown healthiest bread, I'm easy to lose weight, but my sugar addiction kills me. I'm over weight because of my sugar addiction, I love ice-cream so much, cakes, pastries. If I could get rid of it, I would lose weight and I wouldn't put on.
Any suggestions, I have tried lots of things. Actually if I'm in the house I don't bother much about it as I don't have any sweets in the house, It is never in my shopping list. I craving it so much when I'm out or at work
I appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Replies

• evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    Hi nanny.....I also love sweets ;).....Although it is really difficult you just have to make that choice. I can imagine you're rolling your eyes to this, but the only way to get rid of sugar, is to get rid of sugar. The longer you go without it the less you will crave it. Keep in mind, MANY foods, including "healthy" breads, contain sugar. If I'm "desperate" for it....I'll have one piece of Dove dark chocolate, or a small piece of hard candy- don't bite it, but let it last in your mouth. If you know this is your kryptonite, you just have to say "no".....there is no other way.
    Good Luck
  • Samaahir
    Samaahir Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Ana,

I would try to start by reducing the portion size. I read one post here that said immediately after you buy your treat, break it into two halves and throw one half in the bin (or if you can donate it quickly) and take the rest of it to be eaten slowly and mindfully.

Other ideas maybe use sweeteners and cook your own treats at home, when you buy chocolates go for the ones that have the least calories, eat half a bar at a time and keep the other half for the next day.

Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    I had to delegate sugary treats to be used only as treats. Not every day, but once or twice per week. High-sugar foods tend to make me want more more more and this is an issue for lots of people so it's better for me to put them in the "special occasion" category. The rest of the week I just say, "No."

If you've gotten in the habit of having them daily, it may take some time. I still have fruit every day which is sweet enough and I have one cup of tea with one teaspoon sugar every day. That's way better than three Cokes and a KitKat bar on break every day.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bring fruit to work. bananas, oranges, peaches, apples with peanut butter.. it really helps to satisfy a sweet tooth, a much healthier choice.
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey off sugar. Got rid of anything not healthy out of my house and instilled determination in myself to not do sugar. After a while, I lost the taste for it. Some have to do it gradually. Do what works best for you.
  • SKintsch
    SKintsch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, Nannya59! I love all these very helpful words of wisdom! I'm an addict, just like you. And sugar is our drug of choice. In my case, my spouse is my enabler. If I am out of the house and keeping busy, I can go all day without a single thought of any type of sweet. I drink rice milk in my coffee and cereal. I don't add sugar to my coffee. I have substituted Nut Thin crackers for eating with hummus. And I happen to love almost any vegetable. But the minute that spouse sees me, they're offering me soda, candy bars, ice cream cones -- you name it! And they talk about treats all day long! I grew up quite poor, so having sweets was something I longed for. I never had a weight issue until I got married. I actually had to have my wedding ring sawed off if my finger. I truly understand the struggle. Two things that help me: First, I have a small sweet - even a piece of sugarless gum right after my lunch or dinner meal. Second: I listen to Jason Stephenson, Spoken Meditation for Addiction, https://youtu.be/a8_ENeZ2x28. I hope this helps.