Third time lucky

Options
Cellby
Cellby Posts: 29 Member
I'm getting on it again for the third time, trying to pinpoint where I keep failing.

So I weigh 129lbs (was 56.9 on the 9th, just finished period though and resent weigh in was today so not sure how much of that is related)

Height 5ft.
Age 29
Waist 35 inches

According to my scales I am:

BMI 24.8
Body fat 36.6%
Fat free body weight 36.4%
Body water 43.5%
Skeletal muscle 37%
Muscle mass 34.2kg
Protein 14.3kg
Metabolic age 32

My overall goal is to get rid of this belly fat, I'm told it's all down the deficit which my calories are set at 1200 per day.

Do you think there is anything in particular I should be avoiding? Food wise?

To start with I am trying to cut out sugars, with exception of half a spoon in coffee/tea.

I am eating snacks like biscofi biscuits one a day, sometimes I will snack on a few rice crackers. Banana, apple, oranges and Passion fruit are my main go to fruits.

My food diary is really bad since I have only re-joined again today.

As a snap shot food consists of:

Breakfast (if I have it) toast best of both, two slices, butter and Marmite. If it's the weekend and I have time I sometimes have eggs poached or scrambled on toast.

Lunch: usually a ham sandwich, home made.

Dinners for the last week or so have consisted of:
- cod fish cake with boiled potatoes
- beef casserole (slow cooker)
- Maultaschen (German parcel thing) with scrambled eggs
- chicken and chorizo paella (slow cooker)
- spaghetti Bolognese
- baked haddock, potatoes, asparagus and hollondaise sauce
- hot dogs in brioche rolls (tonight)
- chicken chipolata sausages with potatoes and Yorkshire pudding.

Looking at that I guess it's pretty carby and not enough veg?

Drinks I usually have water, tea, coffee usually sit around 1500ml. Have cut out lemonade and substitute with sparkling water now.

Exercise is pretty much non existent.

Used to work full time in a hospital so was fairly active with work but am now full time studying.

Have a gym membership (yet to use)

Have tried working out at home with dvds ( can never seem to stick to it)
I do have some weights at home and was thinking to start out with ten mins exercise a day in the morning and see how long I can stick to that for.

Any advice on what I could change diet wise and exercise wise?

Is there a particular area I need to worry about?

Sorry massively long post, I just want to change my lifestyle and become healthier because otherwise everything is just going to keep going up and bring problems later in life.

Thank you

Xx

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All those details aren't necessary, making sure you're in a calorie deficit is necessary. Get a food scale and use it, and hit your calorie target and be patient.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    evergreenlakegirl Posts: 89 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi Cellby, I'm new here, and have just started this journey myself, so I'll just give you my opinion.
    (As I've learned here):
    lean protein
    lots of veggies
    some healthy fats
    For me personally- I keep my healthy carbs low
    NO SUGAR
    If you can't get to the gym, look for exercises you can do in the mornings- planks, squats, leg lifts- look on you tube for some 15 min workouts, or take walks.
    As I've been told on MFP- it is all about the calories. If you eat the right balance of foods and stay within your goal (1200) calories, you will loose the weight - even without exercise. The exercise will allow you more calories and keep you fit. I'm 5'2 and also at a 1200 calorie goal....I've lost 2.5 in three weeks.

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Hi Cellby, I'm new here, and have just started this journey myself, so I'll just give you my opinion.
    (As I've learned here):
    lean protein
    lots of veggies
    some healthy fats
    NO SUGAR
    If you can't get to the gym, look for exercises you can do in the mornings- planks, squats, leg lifts- look on you tube for some 15 min workouts, or take walks.
    As I've been told on MFP-
    it is all about the calories. If you eat the right balance of foods and stay within your goal (1200) calories, you will loose the weight - even without exercise. The exercise will allow you more calories and keep you fit. I'm 5'2 and also at a 1200 calorie goal....I've lost 2.5 in three weeks.

FIFY. As the first post said, anything outside sticking to your deficit is window dressing. Focus on logging accurately and consistently over everything else
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    (As I've learned here):
    lean protein
    lots of veggies
    some healthy fats
    NO SUGAR
    As I've been told on MFP- it is all about the calories. If you eat the right balance of foods and stay within your goal (1200) calories, you will loose the weight - even without exercise. The exercise will allow you more calories and keep you fit. I'm 5'2 and also at a 1200 calorie goal....I've lost 2.5 in three weeks.
    You've been told that it's all about the calories, but what you've learned, is that you need a certain, random diet composition and a specific (MFP's minimum) calorie target, to lose weight? And how are you going about "no sugar"- there is sugar in vegetables?
  • Cellby
    Options
    (As I've learned here):
    lean protein
    lots of veggies
    some healthy fats
    NO SUGAR
    You've been told that it's all about the calories, but what you've learned, is that you need a certain, random diet composition and a specific (MFP's minimum) calorie target, to lose weight? And how are you going about "no sugar"- there is sugar in vegetables?

You know full well what I mean....

If not then, ok...

I meant no artificial sugar, I'm not adding sugar to my hot drinks, I'm not drinking sugar drinks, I'm not adding sugar on top of cereal. You get the idea.
  • Cellby
    Options
    Welcome back!

Watch your caloric intake, cut down on fats and carbs and you'll start losing.

You can do this... find your motivation and keep it out in front of you every day! Consistency and persistence will get you there!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I read an interesting article yesterday and I believe I wasn't logging consistently on previous attempts.

I was just taking the pre added data as gospel without even questioning whether it was right!
  • Cellby
    Options
    (As I've learned here):
    lean protein
    lots of veggies
    some healthy fats
    NO SUGAR

Good luck with your journey and thank you for stopping by to offer me your advice.

And well done on the loss 🤗
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Do you mind giving us a list of WHY you are losing weight? Then when you lose motivation we'll know what to rib you about.

Is it looks?
    Wanting more energy?
    Etc.etc.

It'll also help to tailor goals such that when you plateau we can point out the successes you've had that aren't 100% scale-based
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Why eat so little? Im 5ft1 started at 130lbs down to 115lb in 4 month. Im eating about 1800 cals per day atm and still loosing weight.