Muscle gain vs weight loss fail?

Options
Hey guys. I'm 3 weeks in to an attempt to get my weight back under control. I'm easing myself back in to exercise because I'm extremely prone to soft tissue injury. So my basic plan is 40-50 minutes of cardio and 30-40 minutes of Pilates-type muscle building and stretching daily. I've also been consistently logging food and keeping calories down. My concern is that I'm not losing any weight. I feel stronger and I guess I'm a little more toned, but I feel like I'm failing at this again. Is the whole "muscle is heavier than fat" thing really true? Do I need to switch up my workouts? I'm a little discouraged. Any insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Any type I start a new workout habit I retain water! And it lasts a really long time!! Focus on your habits and don’t even look at the weight yet.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You are not building enough muscle in 3 weeks with the exercises you do.
  • amyk80
    amyk80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! For those concerned about too much workout, I promise you that the cardio is very easy, low impact stuff, just longer minutes. I've been diligent with my logging so I'll keep that up. Could probably be drinking more water. I did however go shopping today and things are fitting better. So perhaps I spoke too soon...

Also I weigh myself twice a week except this week was like every day because I was getting impatient.

And for those saying I haven't been building muscle from Pilates... I think you underestimate how weak I was to begin with. As a hint, I had to do physical therapy for 2 months because a muscle in my neck was so atrophied I almost subluxed my cervical vertebrae. Anyways, I'm not saying I'm expecting to win the Arnold Classic after 3 weeks, but I do feel like I'm getting a little stronger 😂
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    amyk80 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! For those concerned about too much workout, I promise you that the cardio is very easy, low impact stuff, just longer minutes. I've been diligent with my logging so I'll keep that up. Could probably be drinking more water. I did however go shopping today and things are fitting better. So perhaps I spoke too soon...

Also I weigh myself twice a week except this week was like every day because I was getting impatient.

And for those saying I haven't been building muscle from Pilates... I think you underestimate how weak I was to begin with. As a hint, I had to do physical therapy for 2 months because a muscle in my neck was so atrophied I almost subluxed my cervical vertebrae. Anyways, I'm not saying I'm expecting to win the Arnold Classic after 3 weeks, but I do feel like I'm getting a little stronger 😂

Keep weighing daily, this way you get more data points. I often find that certain days or even some weeks, i just weigh more.
  • r0ck3rgirl
    r0ck3rgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Maybe try keeping track with measurements. Sometimes you see the results better that way.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    amyk80 wrote: »

There's a difference between getting stronger and building muscle. It is certainly possible to get stronger doing all sorts of different resistance training while eating at a deficit. Building muscle is different, and a woman eating in a surplus, with excellent nutrition, doing a well-designed heavy lifting program would gain maybe a half a lb per week.

It could very well be water weight, and that could be linked to your new exercise or to where you are in your monthly cycle. If you aren't using a food scale, it might help to start. Hang in there!

To expand on this already good response. The process of getting stronger works like this: Stress (the amount of force you use against resistance, resulting in muscle 'damage'), followed by recovery (the body's repair of that damage - best done with rest), followed by adaptation. Early on, this is almost always the result of nerve recruitment, i.e. your existing muscles being asked to do more. During this time, your body will hold on to water as part of the recovery process. Once you are in a regular pattern, the amount of water held will reach a sort of equilibrium if you keep repeating the process. (This is a good thing).

Neurological gains always outpace tissue gains in the beginning. And tissue gains happen almost exclusively (but not completely if you're new) when you have a caloric surplus - the bricks used for construction. So getting stronger in your case is very likely. That's good. Getting more muscle tissue is probably not happening. That could be good or not, it's up to you.

So if your goal is to get weight under control, worry first about energy balance. (Calories). Do your fitness stuff for fitness. Your weight control will come from energy balance primarily. Your fitness stuff is a small component of the overall calories you burn in a day. It helps, but your intake control is a much bigger lever.