Getting fitter and the changes in your body?

Options
Just wondered what other effects (other than the obvious not getting tired/out of breath so quickly) people have noticed when they have improved their fitness and perhaps someone knowledgeable about the physiology of exercise can explain what's happening.

For me here's a few things:

I sweat more on my body than before during intense zumba classes - I used to just sweat a lot on my forehead etc but now I sweat on my chest as well and I cool down after the class a lot quicker - I'm a redhead and go beetroot red in the face on exercise but I used to stay very, very red for a lot longer than I do now. I actually feel cold after the class quicker. I guess this is my body getting more efficient at cooling.

I haven't had any illnesses since I started doing my Zumba class 8 months ago... I've felt like I've had a few colds coming on but they've never made me sick.

My skin tone is a lot better than it was before - particularly places like on the backs of my upper arms - better circulation...

I feel happier - endorphins etc... I can see why some people literally get addicted to exercise.

Any more?

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Again as you say i very very rarley get any spots!! lol and again illness i have not been ill in anyway for over 2yrs now :) i go walking in the rain,hail,sleet and snow everyday!
    so i must be doing something right!!!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Cooling down faster is definitely your body getting more efficient, I bet you your heart rate drops quicker too. The sweating thing is your body being efficient at cooling itself! :smile:

For me, I don't get sick (I do get minor cold symptoms sometimes, but my body works through them rather quickly), I feel more energized and can get going much earlier in the mornings than I used to, my skin and hair are nicer (much better foods that I am eating). :smile:
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I also seem to sweat a lot more across my body than I did before (although I suspect that's just because my room temp. is higher atm). And cool down quicker. I can also feel the blood pumping around my body (that nice warm feeling) without being out of breath - so being warmed up is a nice thing now rather than an exhausting thing.

I'm also more bouncy. I'm not sure if that's a fitter thing or a slimmer thing but I tend to skip through the house a lot and my walk had a lot more bounce to it.

And I also haven't been ill since I've been working out. I was struck down with the flu last year and had a cold approximately once a month. But I've been of good health since I started working out in March.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    im a brunette....fake blonde :P and i go red in the face....walking through the gym full of guys man i must look sexy hahahahaha....i use to sweat all over and now it actually takes pure effort to gain a little sweat!
    I can jog longer and my body doesnt ***** too much if i take a few days off, its when i do a new workout that my body will say awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww stop lol.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I havent been sick since I've done it, and my moods have improved massively (i'm a lot happier) I am not lethargic anymore, and I look forward to exercise now. My breathing is much better, I am getting used to coping with being out of breath, but controlling it and carrying on.

I do have a problem off the back of it though - I have a bath every morning, and then I have a shower every day after a workout. Now my eczema is much worse. I have to use baby oil shower gels and bubble bath and moisturise all the time :(
  • Loonymoon
    Options
    I wonder if I sweat more now because I'm fitter and so can work harder and get hotter? But certainly I also cool down and recover a lot, lot quicker too.

I've noticed my friend who is a Zumba instructor also sweats a lot more than she ever used to - she's also got so much more toned of course and as an instructor she has to look full of energy for every one of her 6 sessions a week - no excuses!!