Weight-loss struggles amongst so many success stories

Options

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! I weighed how much mashed potato I was eating for the first time. Eye opening!
    I’ll be so much more careful with logging from now on, and hopefully I’ll still be able to fit treats in so I don’t binge.
    Thank so all so much for your advice - let’s make this one a success story as well!

Yep. Keep weighing your foods. You will see all kinds of surprises sadly.
    Best of luck; you can do it!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    One more note that I'd like to add, add exercise into your routine if you can, is it needed to lose weight- no, but if I didn't exercise a few days of the week, I'd never be under my kcal goal. I find it helps my sanity and makes me feel better, more then losing weight has...
    And yes it's very discouraging seeing what a serving looks like..
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @RonRoff thank so so much, that’s really helpful. Now I can maybe understand why the binges happen. I’ll never try to compensate again and I’ll keep working through it!
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    2baninja wrote: »
    One more note that I'd like to add, add exercise into your routine if you can, is it needed to lose weight- no, but if I didn't exercise a few days of the week, I'd never be under my kcal goal. I find it helps my sanity and makes me feel better, more then losing weight has...
    Yasss 😍 I know I feel so much better when I exercise! Got to get the endorphins flowing!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @svlofthouse I logged a thousand calorie deficit yesterday by not logging the thousands of calories I ate. The sun came up. The earth kept spinning. Let's all have another go at it, shall we?

Speaking of bread, I found a Pepperidge Farm thin sliced whole wheat bread. It's <40 calories per slice. That might help.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking that you're going to see results quickly. You didn't gain weight overnight. You're not going to lose it overnight.

I know it's difficult to stick with a diet for a while b/c we want everything NOW. We want to see results NOW. But that's just not how your body works.
    Find a diet that works for you and just stick with it. Your results might not be fast like some folks, but your journey isn't theirs.

Stop sabotaging yourself. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and STICK WITH IT. Are you going to be more happy eating some bread and staying at whatever weight? Or will you feel better eating healthy and getting healthier? Will you be proud of yourself for cheating b/c you're in self pity mode? Or will you be proud for sticking to it even though your results are slow coming?

And don't trust the scale. Take measurements and take progress pictures.
  • crb4645
    crb4645 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    15 g protein with every meal, especially breakfast, and 6 mini-meals a day helped me avoid binges.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I really applaud everyone who has been able to lose weight and keep it off. However, even when I’m carefully logging, I don’t lose weight. I eat fairly healthily but get downhearted when I can’t see results. This leads to a bread binge and I hate cheating in logging, but I can’t bring myself to log a thousand calorie deficit. What can I do?

Are you sure you haven't had results and are you weighing your food? Sometimes the results are there but just slower than I would like. For example, It seems like I've been in the 220's forever but I lost weight last month.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    You aren't carefully logging if you don't weigh everything and using valid database entries.

Definitely agree about database entries. I look up foods sometimes online to double check when there is a large disparity in entries and I don't know the exact calories.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    @svlofthouse - One more thought -- I have found that people respect it when I tell them I packed my food, that I can't do restaurant food because of working on weight loss and an athletic goal. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't, but could be worth a try.

Many restaurants now post nutritional information online. Planning ahead helps if you want to eat out from time to time. Heck, I've even been able to stop at "Ronald's Place" for lunch when on the road because I knew what I could get. Many menu's even have the information published if it's a last minute thing.

Funny story. A group was heading to Texas Roadhouse for lunch. I had just finished the competition and figured I could be careful since they had salads. It turned out a small sirloin with 2 sides of steamed broccoli and another veggie was fewer calories than any "dinner salad" with lowfat dressing they had.

Don't deny yourself going out. Research places people tend to go in your area so if you want to join them you can comfortably go out without worrying about your diet.
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1 I’ll try to get that bread, but I’m trying to have Vogel’s bread because it’s got loads of protein in it. However, a lower calorie alternative might be good if a bread craving does occur! Thank you so much
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    @LiLee2018 I totally see your point, thanks for spelling it out. It can be hard on MFP because the drastic weight loss journeys are very promoted, but I guess eating more healthier and feeling better is also a good achievement!
  • svlofthouse
    Options
    @bigbandjohn thank you so much for sharing your story. I aspire to that level of will power and I know I’ll get there!! We can all do this together right 😇