Not eating enough but not hungry?

Options
Hi all. I’ve had an issue with not feeling hungry and only eating 50-60% of my daily calorie goal, and sometimes less. My calorie goal is 2,100 and most days, I eat anywhere from 700-1100.

I’m not doing this on purpose, and I know it’s really bad, but if I try to force myself to eat more during the day to hit my goal, I can often feel sick and “overfull”. I’m also not a morning or breakfast person so that doesn’t help.

I’m new to the weight loss scene but I have a LONG way to go - currently 270lbs and 5’5, so I want to go ahead and solve this.

Does anyone else struggle with this (or used to)? How did you resolve it? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• kcampbell570
    kcampbell570 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My issue before was eating too quickly and I also struggled with binging, but I’ve learned to eat slower and I have more self control now - so that’s where this became an issue. Even before, I would feel “overstuffed” to the point of nausea but my body wouldn’t recognize it at first since I ate so quickly.
    Hopefully I’m able to figure this out in terms of balancing nutrition, and I may see a doctor if trial and error doesn’t resolve this. Thank you.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Aim for more calorie dense foods, rather than "diet" versions. Full fat mayo, full fat dressings, etc.

Yep. Don’t have to eat more food, just more calories.
  • kcampbell570
    Options
    That makes sense. Thank you so much! That’s really helpful.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are measuring accurately, use scales and the database selections with green check marks.
    It was easy for me to undereat and lose fast at the beginning. I use 1% current weight weekly loss as a maximum loss rate. As you lose, enter your new weight, get attagirls from your friends, and get MFP to recalculate your daily calories. It will slowly drop to 1200 minimum as you lose.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you're actually logging accurately. I highly doubt that a 270 lbs person can feel 'not hungry' at 1100 calories...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,102 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this??

are you losing weight?

If not, then i think logging is the issue and you are actually eating more than you think.

If you are losing weight, particularly if it is more than expected and you are feeling unwell and unable to eat more - see a doctor. Unexplained weight loss and loss of appetite should be investigated
  • kcampbell570
    Options
    Yes, I’m logging correctly. I’ve checked and considered that multiple times, I assure you. I’m not hollow in the head. Not sure why I even posted this, should’ve known I’d probably be doubted.

Thanks anyway
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, I’m logging correctly. I’ve checked and considered that multiple times, I assure you. I’m not hollow in the head. Not sure why I even posted this, should’ve known I’d probably be doubted.

Thanks anyway

Opening your diary might help? People can give you ideas of more calorific swaps you can make?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options

Thanks anyway

There are plenty of posters who are not dumb but don't really know how to log accurately. People weren't doubting you - you are a random anonymous stranger with a closed diary and we were just double checking to be sure, as logging issues are often the problem.

If you are logging accurately, it can sometimes take a little time for your digestive system and appetite to adjust to a new way of eating. The link to calorie dense foods should help. If after a couple of weeks you are still struggling, you might want to get a checkup to be sure there are no physical issues.