Does it get better?

Options
i read posts from people talking about how much they love running and exercise.i can barely make it through a brisk walk without running out of breath.my question is.
Does it get better, i see people running and im like "how the heck do they do it!!!!!" i cant even run a block.
How long did it take for you to get better and how did you do it?
I hear some people find it enjoyable, to me its like torture! Is it possible for me to one day run and be like' hey this is awesome,'
What do you think?

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to like it!! But it's getting better every day. I've been going to the gym 3-4 times a week for about 3 months, and I AM starting to look forward to seeing how sweaty I can get my t-shirt, how far I can go in the 30 minutes on the treadmill, if I can try to run for longer than a minute at a time.

Just push yourself a little bit more each time, and you WILL get better.
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Six months ago I could barely walk three kilometers without almost falling down on the floor. Now I make 10 kilometer runs a couple of times a week, so yes it get better :)

/k
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets better!! I promise if you push yourself it will get better! I used to smoke and I have asthma I have never been a runner! I ran for 1hour straight! Did not believe I could ever do it but you can! Your legs will hurt but eventually that will stop and your chest will burn and that will stop! If you want to do it just push yourself longer and harder each day and before you know it you will run too!
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started running last summer. I could barely run a mile when I first started. After several months of training, I successfully finished my first half marathon last fall. So to answer your question...YES it does get better! You cant let yourself get discouraged. You have to be dedicated to raising your endurance. The best way I found to do that is the Walk/Run technique. Walk for 5 minutes then run for 1...walk for 3...run for 2...walk for 2...run for 3 and then start over from the beginning. After a few weeks of that technique then set a goal for yourself to run...I suggest a mile to start with. I think you'll notice that your endurance has slowly increased without you even realizing it!

Dont give up!!!! You can do it!!!!!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets better. I couldn't run much either when I started and now I run and race on a regular basis. Just keep working on your endurance and research proper form. You would be surprised how much better it get with even the smallest form changes.
  • Kathryn2410
    Options
    Hey!! i felt exactly the same way i see people running along the road and just think, id never be able to do that -- but it does get better! you build yourself up to it, i was the same i did 30 minutes brisk walk and i was tired, but now i can add a little jog in there too! if you use a treadmill start off with a walk (pace dependant on whatever you feel comfortable) at an incline then gradually build your self up to a run,

hope that helps :)
    Kathryn
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Its the old addage of learn to walk before you can run. The more you exercise the easier it gets but you increase the level gradually. Before you know it you'll be walking for longer and faster before you're gasping for breath. One day, you'll find that walking isn't doing it for you any more and will want to run. You may never get to like it (I haven't) but it does get easier. When I started at the gym, I could just barely get through 5 minutes on level 3 on the elliptical. I'm on level 8 now. My fitness level increased gradually but faster than I thought it would.
    Hope this helps
    xx
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It sure does get better if you stick with it and are consistent! I'm not fully to the point where I can say that I love exercise and running, but I'm far less resistant and I have more stamina and endurance. If you are into running or trying to condition yourself to ever do it you should check into the Couch to five K (C25K) ... it's very popular and seems to be very effective in getting coach potatoes who have never run.. to running 3 times a week for 30 minutes!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes it does get better...

I started by walking and the first walks I've done it was around 3.3mph for about 30 minutes and I kid you not, I'd be home completely out of breath and sweating like I had just come out of a Sauna.
    I walked for a while without even trying to jog and slowly built my speed and distance.

Today during my week 6 Day 3 of C25K I've done just over 6k at almost 6mph and although I gave it all out there, my recovery from the out of breath state is so much faster now.

Keep working hard and consistently and you will see results very soon.

Good luck.
  • mamajess82
    Options
    Yes, it does.

Eventually exercise will become a part of who you are, and not just something you're doing to lose weight.

When you're exercising remember that you are helping to build a better, stronger you.

It does get easier. It does become more enjoyable (experiement with various exercises to see what you enjoy most).
  • Tinks2007
    Tinks2007 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Yes it does get better and easier, I first started running in 2007 was training for the Manchester 10K everyone laughed around me as I had never run before but they soon shut up when they saw me training, started running a mile used to almost kill me then after about 10 days I pushed myself that bit further, ended up having routes I ran of 1 mile 1.5 mile 2.5 mile and 4.5 which is what I got upto in 4 months which was just before the race, I completed the 10K to everyones astonishment and my greatest acheivement in 64 minutes :) I now run regular...... and love the feeling you get after completeing a un, I set myself targets and usually wont settle for less than running 5K on my machine, i still get days that I really struggle to run but my determination keeps me going so keep at it and you will definately get there of that im sure.

I have Burcitus had treatment and didnt work had to stop running for a year was so gutted as knew would affect my fitness, specailist said I can run but the pain will stop me and at times it does but think I have grown to accomadate it as i am now back running and probably at my best of running around 5 times a week sometimes more, running minimum of 5K max 10K, would suggest getting a heart rate monitor the FT7 is great can log all your runs on there site tells you how many calories you burn when your in your ftness or fat burn its really good.

Fwel free to add for motivation and good luck :)
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It does get better. I still don't run (yet), but it is crossing my mind more and more. When I started out in early June, I was wiped out just walking a mile on the treadmill at a slow pace. And that took 30 minutes to do. Now I am walking the mile in about 20 minutes, then riding the bike for 15, and the elliptical for 15. And I'm tired when done, but not so bad that I can't move or need to take a nap. Keep working out, and gradually increase what you are doing. It takes time, but you can do it!

Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It absolutely gets easier, trust me, stick with it and months down the line you will be astounded at how much you can do and how much easier it feels!

Take it slowly, find a pace that suits you and once a week increase the time, another day a week go a shorter distance but try to go a bit faster.

When you're ready to add a bit of running, try C25K, it will take you from running just a minute to half an hour. If you find it tough, repeat a week:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Here are my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck!
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyones posts. I'm the exact same way. I hate any type of exercise in the beginning but if you start off slowly and make an effort to increase the duration or difficulty then it'll be much easier. Running is probably my least favorite exercise, but if you start out at a steady pace it'll be less of a hassle and it really does get better. Also, I've heard that walking is sometimes even better for you but I'm not sure how accurate that is. As for being out of breath, just keep yourself hydrated and stop when you're too tired. Hope that helps(:
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The more you exercise, the more you want to exercise!! I have trouble going one day without exercising...

In the past, when I go through a phase of less exercise, I become less motivated.

Newton's law goes something like this: An object at rest stays at rest... an object in motion stays in motion...

Make yourself exercise everyday, and soon you will become an addict:-)
  • ethmoid
    ethmoid Posts: 6
    Options
    For me, the key is to not let yourself get bored. Find exercises that entertain you. I have 4 punching bags in my back yard. My neighbors probably laugh, but its alot more fun than a treadmill.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi, I dont run, but I do walk now, which I used to hate before. I used to resent visiting my mum, because she lives miles from anywhere & we would have to walk to get into or back from town. Now I find myself planning places to go at the weekend so that I can get a good walk in. I will walk to the next town to go to a shop, rather than go to the one that is nearest to me. I have got to the point where I do actually enjoy my walks now, rather than doing them out of duty.

I also use an exercise bike. When I started in January, I could barely manage 10 minutes. Now I regularly do 30-40 minutes, and can manage up to an hour. I wouldnt say I actively enjoy it, but I do find it a lot easier than I did and do feel a sense of achievement when I have finished on it.

So in short, yes it does get easier.
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    I weigh 255lbs and im recovering from a torn ligament in my ankle and before that injury running was the most amazing thing ever i dunno how i did it but i managed 9 miles one day and it felt incredible i cant explain it im miserable for the first 3 miles then after that you just get in a zone and your legs dont hurt anymore and you feel amazing.
    Dont give up if someone my size can run and love it more than anything then so can you exercise should never be torture.

xx
  • joi1407
    joi1407 Posts: 79
    Options
    How can you not like it? think about the meal or extra piece of chocolate (or fruit) you can eat while you're doing it. Or how that top, that's a bit tight will look better in 4 weeks time :happy:

Otherwise, I always congratulate myself for the little achievements, being able to walk that bit further or faster, or doing a workout dvd with less (or no) breaks.
    depending on what exercises you do, chose something that builds you up gradually and from a very easy level.

Good luck
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    yes - it definitely gets better. I started walking in February and now what was my workout pace then is not even enough to boost my heartrate during warmup today. Start slow and the running as others have mentioned and build from there. Since May, I've been training for a half marathon and while I still do walking breaks I can run 3 miles nonstop and am planning to do a slow 12 miler this weekend - and still have a long way to go to meet my weight loss goal! Good luck and have fun with it!