Slow Loss...need advice

Options
Hello,
I am new to MFP, but not new to weight loss. A few years back I lost about 20 pounds on Weight watchers eating about 20 points a day. Three years later the weight has crept back up. I have been eating 1200 a day and am still not losing. Should I reduce it to 1000. I had no problem on Weight watchers losing, but don't really likethe new program.

Any advice would be helpful!

Replies

• boogieluv
    Options
    R U exercising ? what are u doing to keep active ?:flowerforyou:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose the slower it will come off. Hard to say without more info. Maybe open your diary and ask for someone to look at it..
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Don't reduce it to a 1000 unless you have a lot of weight to lose. Depending on how much you have to lose, you may need to eat more instead of less.

Also how long have you been at this? It's not going to happen over night.. and if its only been like a week or two, then thats normal. It takes time for the scale to move and show progress.
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    Make sure you are excerising, getting at least 64oz of water in, watch your sodium and carb intake..You might need to increase your calories you are eatting..And I agree with dls06.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing whilst eating 1200 cals/day but when I upped them to 1400-1500 I started losing massive amounts a week!
    Just make sure you are eating as clean as possible and all should be good :)
  • bosendorf
    bosendorf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do exercise. I do about 45-60 minutes of cardio a day. I will try to open my diary:)
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, open the diary so people can analyze what you are eating along with your exercise. I can tell you this - do not eat less than 1200 and make sure you are eating your exercise calories.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do exercise. I do about 45-60 minutes of cardio a day. I will try to open my diary:)

Cardio is great.. but weights is where it's at.

Muscle burns more calories at rest then fat... so the more muscle that you have, the more calories you'll burn over all.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm with EllieBellie - 1200 calories I will not lose, and may even gain. 1500 is my magic number. However everyone is different and you just have to find what works for you. Maybe a trip to your family doctor could point you in the right direction, or a dietician who could test your metabolism. good luck!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are already eating with a 500 deficit from exercise every day. That's on top of whatever MFP gave you. You might be eating too little so your body is holding on to what it can. Try eating more.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are excerising, getting at least 64oz of water in, watch your sodium and carb intake..You might need to increase your calories you are eatting..And I agree with dls06.

I agree with dis06 as well; you didn't put it on overnight & it won''t come off overnight as well. Don't eat under 1200 calories, especially with doing as much cardio as you are doing. I used to not eat my exercise calories & I gained.... started eating them & I have lost steadily 1-2 lbs a week! Drink in ounces half your weight ~ this helped me big time.

Hope this helps & good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • bosendorf
    bosendorf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help I will try weights, eating a little more and try to be patient!:)
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are already eating with a 500 deficit from exercise every day. That's on top of whatever MFP gave you. You might be eating too little so your body is holding on to what it can. Try eating more.

This is right on!! Eat those exercise calories back!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You're not drinking any water. It's so, so, so important to drink water. It helps your body help itself.

Also, as pointed out you're not eating your exercise calories. So you're not really eating 1200 calories, you're eating 800 calories. You NEED to eat more. Aim for 1200 total carlories (so you're eating your exercise calories) and see how you go. If that doesn't work, you need to eat more.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi! It looks to me like you are eating far too little. I only looked at one day, but you burnt over 700 cals doing exercise. You need to eat at least some of those calories back. That's why your goal in your diary is higher. MFP has already worked out how many cals you need in order to lose weight so if you do exercise the advice is to eat back some or all of those exercise calories back. Not everybody on here agrees but it has worked for me. And when you are exercising regularly at this level your body will need the fuel. Hope this has helped. Good luck!