Begginer jogger.

Options
Any insight on how to start jogging. I do walking, have asthma and have not ever been able to jog more than 30 seconds...does it get easier and able to jog longer.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I second c25k
  • erinfreel524
    erinfreel524 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m a runner, and my best advice is to start sloooowwww. If 30 sec is what you can do right now, great! Make sure you take an inhaler with you and maybe start with a Loop close to your house that lets you feel like help and a break is close at hand. Walk for 5 at a brisk clip, jog for 30, walk for 2 min and repeat 6 times and then walk at a comfy pace for 5. Do that three times a week for 1-2 weeks and it should start to feel easier. You never want to add intensity AND time so once that’s not as challenging, pick one to increase. If you pick time, do the same warm up, then add 10-15 sec on the run interval and cut the walk a bit. If you pick intensity, keep the time the same but try to run a little faster. C25k is popular because it does these calculations for you but it often ramps up a little fast for some people. If you go that route, don’t be afraid to repeat weeks until you’re not struggling to finish. It is so much better to really build a base of fitness than to head out and gut out a workout that is overreaching and hurt yourself.
    Make sure you have good running shoes that you are fitted with if you can. Shoes can make all the difference. Focus on your posture. If you find yourself sagging and bending over even slightly, STOP running. Form is huge for beginning runners and staggering through will hurt you more than realizing form is deteriorating and walking. Have a friend or partner video you while running. Any weirdness in your legs or are they straight? Are your arms staying at your sides and not crossing over your body? Is your head looking forward and not down at your feet? Is your spine neutral? It’s embarrassing (for me anyway!) but I’m very conscious now of my right arm twisting as I run which in turn causes me pain after ten miles.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a video about how to start running.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Has your doctor cleared you to jog? If so, do C25k
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    C25K is a very good program. However, you say you can't job for more than 30 seconds. My suggestion, for what it's worth, after checking with your medical professional, go on your usual walk, after getting nice and warmed up, jog for those 30 seconds, walk until you feel than you can do another 30 seconds and do them at a slow jog. Walk, jog, walk... Kinda like a pre C25k. As you improve, lengthen the jogging periods over the same distance you've been walking. Once/when you can do the entire "walk" distance at a jog, look to slowly increase your distance. Or, after you can jog for a minute or two, go to C25K or any other running trainer. I used and like Personal Running Trainer via Amazon. But, first and above all, enjoy the run. If it's not fun, just continue your walks. We aren't all runners.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yes it gets easier. C25k is a good program but it starts at 60 second running intervals. I would start with brisk walking before trying to jog. Or you can like the previous poster said and try 30 second running intervals to start.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the general advice is make sure you can do a brisk walk for 30 min. once you can do that, you can try a running program like c25k
    but first, check with your doctor
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    First time I went out jogging as an adult, I went once around my apartment building.
    Took me a while before I went around twice. But I did, eventually.
    Now running is one of my favorite things in the world. I go six miles. Eight miles. Sometimes more. I go to a track and sprint sometimes. I've run a marathon.
    Of course you will get better. That's the way it works.
    Just keep it fun and easy. So you don't start to feel dread when it comes time to lace up the old sneakers.
    You'll find the endorphins and the enjoyment.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    30 seconds is a good start. Keep the pace slow, run 30 seconds, walk 2 minutes. Repeat as often as you wish (start slow....repeat maybe 5-6 times). After a week, see if you can run 45 seconds, walk 2 minutes and repeat.
    When you can do this routine consistently, start C25K. This program will advance you safely.

Most important:
    1. get good shoes.
    2. keep your pace very slow. If you feel winded during the run interval, slow down.

It gets better over time. Keep at it. You can do this.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I first started jogging I was terrible, I could barely run for a bus. I started using the elliptical trainer in the gym which strengthened my legs and built endurance. I have mild asthma. One day I found I could jog for 10 minutes without stopping. 2 years later and I'm doing 5k park runs every week!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yep C25k, then move on to 10k one! If you find running too brutal to start, do something like biking. And work in some other type of exercise for some cross training effect.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Can't say enough good things about the C25K.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in 1996 and had no running experience prior, so if it helped me, it will help you. Plus, there are ways to help control your breathing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can't believe no one has mentioned trying C25K yet.....

:devil:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can't believe no one has mentioned trying C25K yet.....

:devil:

Never heard of it...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Most important:
    1. get good shoes.
    2. keep your pace very slow. If you feel winded during the run interval, slow down.

It gets better over time. Keep at it. You can do this.

Seriously, this point is key if you are starting out. And don't even bother asking what others wear as it is irrelevant.

Go to a good running store and have someone do a gait analysis. Spend the money on the shoes they recommend for your gait. Not necessarily the most expensive ones, but ones that suit your gait.

I didn't and ended up with shin splints. In fact, I wore a pair of shoes that don't work for running to the gym Monday for lifting. But when I was done decided to do 2.5K on the treadmill. My shin hurt the rest of the day so now it's my running shoes in the gym for lifting days in case I feel like running after.

And C25K is a good program. Did it the beginning of 2017 and now do the occasional half marathon. I was ~275lbs when I did it.