Daily calorific intake for 150kg man

Options
I am a morbidly obese 40 year old man, 5ft 9" who currently weighs 150kg. I am currently exercising 5 days a week in the mornings before work for 3 hours (2 hours 15 mins cardiovascular and 45 minutes resistance exercise). According to my Polar HR monitor I'm burning 750 per session.

My current daily intake is 1800cals. Is this too low? I'm generally feeling lacking in energy. Because of work and study commitments I have to reduce my sleep to 6 hours per night.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You should eat 1800+750.
    It is too low if you don't. WAY too low for a 150kg man.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am guessing when you put your stats in you chose sedentary and you are not eating back any of your exercise calories. You are eating too little.

How long have you been doing this and what is your current rate of loss?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,771 Member
    Options
    You should probably be eating closer to 2500. Based on your exercise probably a bit more. This also depends on how accurately you're counting of course
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy working out so much, so much that you're willing to lose sleep?
    Or are you deliberately setting yourself up to fail?
  • PAV8888
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Do you enjoy working out so much, so much that you're willing to lose sleep?
    Or are you deliberately setting yourself up to fail?

As the smart @kommodevaran points out, you don't NEED to exercise 3 hours in order to lose weight. in fact 1800 is just about the correct intake for someone who does NOT exercise AND does NOT move around much. <Exercise is good; realizing that caloric control does NOT REQUIRE exercise is also good>
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am a morbidly obese 40 year old man, 5ft 9" who currently weighs 150kg. I am currently exercising 5 days a week in the mornings before work for 3 hours (2 hours 15 mins cardiovascular and 45 minutes resistance exercise). According to my Polar HR monitor I'm burning 750 per session.

My current daily intake is 1800cals. Is this too low? I'm generally feeling lacking in energy. Because of work and study commitments I have to reduce my sleep to 6 hours per night.

2 hours of cardio and only 750 cals burnt? what are you doing?
  • DistortedVisionUK
    DistortedVisionUK Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercising in the gym. Its not just about weight loss. It's assisting me with my work and studies.

My gym regime is: 1hour ellipital machine, 1 hour exercise bike and then 30 mins of resistance training (weights).

I changed to the Precor elliptical trainer today and had a much better workout: 940 cals expenditure.

ir3hjqd1lzxz.png

I'm now going to bed at 10pm and waking up for the gym at 5am so 7 hours sleep instead of 6 hours.

Rate of weight loss is currently 1kg to 1.5kg.

I am reviewing my daily calorific intake taking onboard the above advice. I am diabetic (IDDM) so I need to be careful about my dietary requirements.

Please be supportive.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    At your weight your rate of loss can be a bit higher but I think it is ill-advised with your work out schedule and the fact you are feeling tired.

I am a heavier man myself I have looked and looked for hard science to back up the 1 percent per week rule and what little I did find was old and considered outdated. I have concluded that trying to aim for the full 1 percent per week is not a good idea. Despite it being the golden rule I don't think it is scalable for everyone because it is not sustainable. I wouldn't feel good if I did it either.

I think you should start by eating back at least 75 percent of your exercise calories and then re-evaluate how you feel and your rate of loss in 3 weeks. I suspect you want to pin this on sleep but I think you probably know you need to be eating more or you wouldn't have started this thread.
  • PAV8888
    edited October 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    At your weight your rate of loss can be a bit higher but I think it is ill-advised with your work out schedule and the fact you are feeling tired.

I am a heavier man myself I have looked and looked for hard science to back up the 1 percent per week rule and what little I did find was old and considered outdated. I have concluded that trying to aim for the full 1 percent per week is not a good idea. Despite it being the golden rule I don't think it is scalable for everyone because it is not sustainable. I wouldn't feel good if I did it either.

I think you should start by eating back at least 75 percent of your exercise calories and then re-evaluate how you feel and your rate of loss in 3 weeks. I suspect you want to pin this on sleep but I think you probably know you need to be eating more or you wouldn't have started this thread.

The 1% rule is actually up to 1.5% for someone who is obese. And that translates into even more than 25% of your TDEE which is the maximum as far as I'm concerned that you should be cutting (20% when overweight/normal weight).

And... I found the 21.35% deficit I averaged on my first year on MFP to be PLENTY fast enough. If anything too fast as opposed to not fast enough.

It took almost a year after to FEEL sure that I was going to be able to fit BOTH feet into my pants. And that 21.35%, mathematically, I don't think exceeded a rate of 0.7%... (I can't math variable rates, but, after joining mfp, I went from 240.6 to 168.1 at 1.39lbs a week on average starting faster and slowing down as I got lighter)
  • NovusDies
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The 1% rule is actually up to 1.5% for someone who is obese. And that translates into even more than 25% of your TDEE which is the maximum as far as I'm concerned that you should be cutting (20% when overweight/normal weight).

And... I found the 21.35% deficit I averaged on my first year on MFP to be PLENTY fast enough. If anything too fast as opposed to not fast enough.

It took almost a year after to FEEL sure that I was going to be able to fit BOTH feet into my pants. And that 21.35%, mathematically, I don't think exceeded a rate of 0.7%... (I can't math variable rates, but, after joining mfp, I went from 240.6 to 168.1 at 1.39lbs a week on average starting faster and slowing down as I got lighter)

If you mean the deficit should not exceed 25 percent of the TDEE that would translate to about .39% for me and not even 2lbs per week which is too slow for someone my size.

I have never heard of the 1.5 percent rule and I am not even sure how that would work for me because to lose at that rate I would have to not eat at all.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    If you mean the deficit should not exceed 25 percent of the TDEE that would translate to about .39% for me and not even 2lbs per week which is too slow for someone my size.

I have never heard of the 1.5 percent rule and I am not even sure how that would work for me because to lose at that rate I would have to not eat at all.

Reverse engineering ;) 2lbs = 1000 Cal = TDEE of ~4000... which is quite possible for an active well above 200lb male.

I am not a proponent of 1.5%. It is a figure I have seen in reference to morbidly obese people where fat is preferentially lost in spite of large deficits.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You are eating far too little. And overtraining - you are going to crash and burn, hard.

I am a 124.2 kg man (came from 136.5 kgs), I lift weights and do strongman cardio an average of 1hr TOTAL a day most days, and my calories for a 2lb loss a week are just under 2500, excersise calories included. I'd also like to note that I am pretty much hitting that loss on those cals.

Punch in your weight stats on MFP, select the lightly active lifestyle, and set your goal to lose 2lbs a week (1000 deficit). MFPs TDEE calc is pretty spot on IMO. Log excersise as 15-20min LESS than what you actually did (MFP is pretty liberal with the calories burned counter)

Keep your excersise sessions to 45-60min. 2x a day MAX, and be sure to eat back the calories. Any more is overtraining and you are doing more harm than good.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Reverse engineering ;) 2lbs = 1000 Cal = TDEE of ~4000... which is quite possible for an active well above 200lb male.

I am not a proponent of 1.5%. It is a figure I have seen in reference to morbidly obese people where fat is preferentially lost in spite of large deficits.

I agree that it could possible work for the OP I was just saying that for me that 25 percent doesn't work because I am not that active (yet). I know my numbers pretty well because I do lose within a reasonable MoE of my food deficit.