Has anybody tried BFR weight training?

Options
I keep seeing adds for straps used for Blood Flow Restriction during weight lifting. I believe they call it Occlusion Training. Articles I have read are a bit controversial. Has anybody tried it? Any good or bad effects? J

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yep. You get a crazy pump during. :D

Science says it is beneficial to hypertrophy.

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Fulltext/2009/06000/The_Use_of_Occlusion_Training_to_Produce_Muscle.11.aspx

0ri2sz0ym05s.jpg
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have a MFP friend on here who does it and has gotten good results. I just bought a set for my husband to use as a tendon strap because his arms were too big for the ones designed specifically for that. I've been debating about adding it into my training.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have a MFP friend on here who does it and has gotten good results. I just bought a set for my husband to use as a tendon strap because his arms were too big for the ones designed specifically for that. I've been debating about adding it into my training.

It hurts so good!
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I tried it today. It seemed to do pretty well. I’m not really sure how to know when the straps are tight enough but not too tight. What I have read is you should sinch them to about a 7 out 10. That’s a little ambiguous.
  • showjack70
    showjack70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It does "work". It hurts like hell. It should not be used all the time. Really beneficial when recovering from injury and using lighter weights. All in all it does nothing magical, but self experimentation is always good.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Yes - in the context of physical therapy using a BFR machine to control the pressure (and overseen by people who are trained in BFR therapy). It's very helpful in the contexts related to why it was originally created. I personally wouldn't want to do it all the time or with really heavy weights (though I also hate strength training so...) but it also wasn't designed for that purpose.