Moon cake

Options
My mom and I hadn't seen eachother in quite a while, and she and I visited today. She gave me a biscuit from my aunt, who is from Vietnam. I wasn't sure exactly how caloric it was, but since it had a lot of nuts I only ate half of it. It was labeled "one yolk mixed nuts". turns out it was a moon cake with 800??? Calories. Wtf. My estimate looking at it was maybe 500-600. It wasn't even very sweet. So upset.

Why is it the one time I try something new it's apparently a weight gainer food??? :(:(

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Moon cakes are a rather rare seasonal treat associated with mid autumn on the lunar calendar and are quite expensive being made with lotus paste and duck egg...kind of a thoughtful gift probably best not to sh"t on it publicly online. It's kind of like getting a truffle or caviar and then complaining about it.

Wow, that's sad to hear :( I had no idea these are so special, I thought it was just like a cookie. I actually didn't know what it was and my mother didn't either, it took me quite a bit of searching online to even find the name for it.

Now I feel bad :/ thank you auntie >.<

Totally understandable, they are asian culturally and aren't really part of western culture. I didn't know what they were at first either and they are kind of...odd (to a western palette at least). But yeah they are a special gift for a season so its kind of like well-wishing to give one. That said I don't think you have to eat it or couldn't just re-gift it or something...they are really rich. Sorry if I made you feel bad.
  • jcvbjcvbmfp
    jcvbjcvbmfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yep they are very precious especially if you dont live in Asia, and yep they are calorie bombs. 😂 In Taiwan we only have it once a year for mid-autumn festival. I didn’t even have one this year, as I live in the UK. Harder to find = easier to avoid 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    They are labor intensive to make also. Once you make the bean paste you shape it into balls; then you make the sticky dough and wrap it around the bean paste and then put it into mold and stamp it.

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo3e0DVy71E
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    And available at Walmart too ;-)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    My mom and I hadn't seen eachother in quite a while, and she and I visited today. She gave me a biscuit from my aunt, who is from Vietnam. I wasn't sure exactly how caloric it was, but since it had a lot of nuts I only ate half of it. It was labeled "one yolk mixed nuts". turns out it was a moon cake with 800??? Calories. Wtf. My estimate looking at it was maybe 500-600. It wasn't even very sweet. So upset.

Why is it the one time I try something new it's apparently a weight gainer food??? :(:(

All food is a weight gainer food.....the good thing is all food is also a weight loss food....food doesn’t cause weight gain/ loss: calories do