Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

People are eating too few calories

Options
Tabbeobit
Tabbeobit Posts: 1 Member
Having gone through both periods binging and periods of starving as well as working with many health professionals in recovery I've learnt a lot about how the body functions. Personally i think part of the problem with people diets and physiques today is a result of both overeating AND undereating. Hearing so many people eating 1200-1500 calories a day sickens me. And that's because i used to eat like that and i was miserable. my body was unwell and everything inside was messed up. I now eat twice that amount and my weight has decreased, my muscle mass has increased noticeably, my mood has improved, and my energy levels are through the roof.
I want to hear what other people think about this because honestly i believe eating any less ( as an average woman) than 1800 calories, yes even to lose weight, is too little. I want to hear others peoples opinions on this

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I maintain at just under the mid-point of the healthy weight range for my height (5'4) at @ 1750 calories. I am lightly active. When I was losing, I ate 1500 cals and lost 0.5lbs per week.

Height, weight, and activity level all affect calorie needs. Perhaps your stats aren't as average as you think they are?

Not sure if the OP will be back to tell us...

I'll be fine letting it stand as a rhetorical question, if that turns out to be the case :lol:

I view it (almost) as a form of privilege. I can see how it would be hard to imagine maintaining on 1600 or 1800 calories per day if you're a tall, fit, fairly active guy, for example. Doesn't change the reality for those of us who do, though!

ETA the almost because I know TDEE can be increased with activity, so if I want to eat more I can move more :wink: That didn't make me taller, though. Unfortunately.

Yeah, I mean I could change my lifestyle and become very active and probably get up close to 2000 cal maintenance, but I'm pretty happy with the activity level I'm at right now and think losing at 1500ish calories was fine. I guess this is a nice change from all the "it's EASY to eat 1200 calories, go ahead and do it!" threads.

That is true!