How to determine ideal weight?

Options
I am Maria. I used to be a college athlete where I could lose any excess weight after 20 hr training weeks. Since undergrad, I gave my body the summer to recover but during recovery I kept gaining weight. Now I am grad student and am trying to lose weight a healthier way. My initial goal is to lose 10 lbs. So far after 12 days on this app, I lost 4.8 lbs. The one thing about my diet that I am struggling with is, how do you know what weight is the ideal weight for yourself?

Replies

• Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    2vka75td1eml.png

BMI charts are useful but antiquated. They work for most people but everyone is different. I did a Bod Pod a few weeks ago and have 199 pounds of lean mass, yet my "healthy" weight range is from 145-190 pounds... yyyyeah. Basically, take your BMI and shoot for that goal. Keep in mind that the more muscle you put on, the more "off the chart" you will be.
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good question considering if you have a large bone structure to begin with BMI is a waste.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The BMI healthy weight range is a good place to start, but it is just a general guide and a place to start. If you haven't had a checkup recently, get that done and consult with a doctor. Other parameters like waist circumference, waist to height ratio, and waist to hip ratio can help. You also will take into consideration how you want to look, how you feel, how your body performs at the weight. It's highly personal! And your "ideal" weight will probably be different at different ages :smile:

You didn't ask, but just wanted to add - losing 4.8 lbs in 12 days is mostly water weight, just don't expect that pace to continue. Best of luck!
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Truth be told I have seen healthy people eg. 6’1 male lean weighs 125 this man eat only from the whole foods nothing in a box, can etc. So your ideal weight is where you are healthy the most not skinny @mghauer
  • mghauer
    mghauer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you @MarvinsFitLife!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mghauer wrote: »
    I am Maria. I used to be a college athlete where I could lose any excess weight after 20 hr training weeks. Since undergrad, I gave my body the summer to recover but during recovery I kept gaining weight. Now I am grad student and am trying to lose weight a healthier way. My initial goal is to lose 10 lbs. So far after 12 days on this app, I lost 4.8 lbs. The one thing about my diet that I am struggling with is, how do you know what weight is the ideal weight for yourself?

with only 10 lbs to lose you should only be trying to lose .05 lb per week. its going to be slow and you have to be meticulous with your calorie intake. so if you dont already get a food scale that weighs in grams and weigh EVERYTHING and go from there.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight based on what my maintenance calories would be. At my age and height my calories would be 1370 at the highest BMI healthy point --- and I know I only burn between 100-200 cal per day when I exercise. So my ideal weight is overweight --- at a calorie point that I know I will be able to live with and maintain. Remember to look at the long game--you may be able to reach a goal weight--but will you maintain that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Truth be told I have seen healthy people eg. 6’1 male lean weighs 125 this man eat only from the whole foods nothing in a box, can etc. So your ideal weight is where you are healthy the most not skinny @mghauer

I can't imagine 6'1 125lbs being "healthy". That's 20 lbs underweight!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I can't imagine 6'1 125lbs being "healthy". That's 20 lbs underweight!

Exactly...and he would look emaciated.

As to the OP...there really isn't any such thing as an ideal weight...you weight is just a number on the scale and says nothing about your body composition, muscle mass, frame, etc. People of the same height can and do have varying body compositions, frames, etc. BMI is a reasonable place to start, particularly when used in conjunction with BF%. Just be aware that BMI is a range to accommodate various body compositions and frames...not so you can just pick and choose...the low end of BMI might be "healthy" on paper, but it wouldn't be particularly healthy if you had to burn a bunch of muscle mass to get there.

I personally never had a particular weight in mind for myself...I went more on how I looked in the mirror than anything. I also wanted to be at a weight that was relatively easy to maintain while living a healthy life, but also having some fun...so super lean was never in the cards for me, as that can be very difficult to maintain.