Body image issues

Options
I sit here and mentally wouldnt tell you i was over weight. Of course i know i am by the scale and looking at myself. Than i look in the mirror or at pictures and it smacks me in the face just how big i am. What is wrong with me?

Replies

• Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a little smack of reality, to push ourselves back on track. Although, be kind to yourself in the now and don’t question, what is wrong with you. I’d want you to go back and look at yourself, reclaim who you are. Whether a mother, a friend and every quality you have to offer. Then tell yourself, you chose to love yourself more and do just that.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a little smack of reality, to push ourselves back on track. Although, be kind to yourself in the now and don’t question, what is wrong with you. I’d want you to go back and look at yourself, reclaim who you are. Whether a mother, a friend and every quality you have to offer. Then tell yourself, you chose to love yourself more and do just that.

👏👏👏 yes!!

I would also suggest you take it a little further, and continue to affirm your positive traits to yourself, whilst looking at yourself in a full length mirror. Say to your image, "I love you because ...." (20 things) .... Then say, "I need you because.. ..." (20 things) .... "I appreciate you because.. ..."(20 things). You may choose to say, "I am good at ...."(20 things).

A close MFP friend reminded me that our minds are powerful tools. Use it to your benefit or it has a way of unraveling the best of intentions.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with you. We are all our own worst critics but we need to stop doing that.

Besides, I see myself differently in the mirror than I see myself in pictures. The brain can do weird things. But, it's also very powerful so learning to be kind to yourself, love yourself for who you are and work on changing what you want to change can vastly improve your self-esteem.
  • stonesournum1
    stonesournum1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I typed this really wonderful motivational & loving message but I forgot to post it! LOL!

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with you! We all suffer with our own demons. And in this world where people mostly Focus only on the external, it can be spiritually draining and psychologically tormenting.

Look at yourself in the mirror each day and tell yourself how beautiful you are and that you choose to be healthy for today. Do this everyday and I know it sounds really corny, but it works.

When we become loving to ourselves and gentle to ourselves and accept all our little peccadilloes all the good things will follow.

We are all beautiful! And we are all perfectly imperfect!
    I have the same issues and have struggled with my weight and eating habits all my life.
    But I believe in me and I believe in you! And I believe in all of us!🌸🌹🌟✌
  • rileyskye1
    rileyskye1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Was having a bad moment when i posted this. I really appreciate all of this...i needed to hear all of this!
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I remember about a year or two before I got serious about losing weight looking at a photograph taken at one of my kids' soccer games. I was about to ask my wife who the fat guy was who body blocked out most of the game. Then I realized I was looking at a picture of myself taken in a rare moment when I'd let my guard down. It was a shocking moment. After that, the reality slowly started to creep in.

When I finally got around to losing the weight, it took months after I reached goal (perhaps more than a year) before I started to realize I was no longer an overweight mess when I looked in the mirror. This is why I'm so dependent on the scale. I'm at the point where I feel like I can pretty much convince myself of anything based on what I see in the mirror.