At a plateau, need help and motivation

Options
I officially started my weight loss journey in April and have lost 40 pounds and still have 35 to 40 pounds to go to reach my goal weight. It is getting harder the longer the journey. I am currently struggling with high blood pressure. I have always had high blood pressure but lately it has gone sky high. I thought with losing weight it would at least stay the same. I don't add salt to anything either. I have been at a plateau for about 2 months now. But the last couple of weeks I have been depressed over the scale not moving and not working out like I should and eating more carbs than I should. I need some support as my husband just says, you look good, don't worry about it. I want to be fit and healthy!!!! I could really use someone to help keep me on track and focused on the goal. Is anyone willing to be my support buddy?

Replies

• birdiman
    birdiman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dreamer, stay the course. Perhaps shake things up by changing your exercise level or fitness activity? I am also in a plateau right now and completely understand your frustration. Do NOT let the scale be your only determining factor in how you view your results! If your carb intake is something that you need to adjust, I know that I have to watch it, perhaps make a small adjustment and see if it helps? You've got this! Don't get discouraged! Don't let anything steal the joy of what you have already accomplished.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    What is/are your goal(s)?

This is a very important question. Because 'fit and healthy' is pretty vague. We all want that, but how do you develop a plan and follow it if you don't have a strong sense of where you want to go?

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Not all HBP can be controlled by diet and exercise. What does your Dr say about your HBP? What is sky high? Are you taking meds?

How “should” you be working out? Something is better than nothing in exercise. BTW, exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy.

You keep a food diary? Use a food scale? WL is a set of things to do. Focus on doing them and the scale will take care of itself. Work on doing things you can control. It will help you push back against feeling discouraged. Do the process, the scale will follow.

• Ohiogirlatheart
    Ohiogirlatheart Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Dreamer, stay your course and please don't give up. One tactic that has worked for me when I hit a plateau (twice) is to alternate days of lower calories/carbs and higher calories/carbs for a week or two . During these cycles I alternate between 1400 - 1900 calories per day, but I also walk an hour every day and go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week. This seems to shake up my metabolism just enough to kick start weight loss. High blood pressure is a hard nut to crack, I deal with this too. Mine has come down to almost normal, it can take some time.
    Since 12/27/18 I have lost 47 pounds, probably slower than most but I also was NOT exercising when I started. Keep up the good work, maybe this can help you too.
  • dreamer352
    dreamer352 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging words. I have had difficulty losing weight since I had my children. I am finally trying to focus on myself some.
    To be healthy and fit to me is that I want to be able to go out and do the things I want without being out of breath or unable to do it because I am so out of shape. I want to be able to feel confident and not care what people think of me. I want to look good in my clothes. I want to show the people in my life that I can do it, that I can achieve my goals despite the negativity of some. But the main purpose of my journey is for me and nobody else. I just need some encouraging words and some support at times to keep me going.
  • jet22bama
    jet22bama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @dreamer352 First of all,Congrats! That's a huge accomplishment. 40 lbs is awesome. Just keep remembering "if I can lose 40 lbs, I know it can be done and I can do it". I would do like Ohiogirlatheart and look into jump starting your metabolism. Shaking it up. I know sometimes I'll have what I think is a "bad" week and I'll end up losing weight. Hang in there, don't don't don't give up. And let me know if you ever need to talk. I'm in about the same boat as you :) (lost 64 lbs, need to lose about 30 lbs more). We can do it! Oh and I'm sorry I'm no help in the high BP area :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dreamer352 wrote: »
    I want to be able to feel confident and not care what people think of me.

try to learn how to do this regardless of your weight.

being thin doesnt automatically make someone self confident.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jet22bama wrote: »
    @dreamer352 First of all,Congrats! That's a huge accomplishment. 40 lbs is awesome. Just keep remembering "if I can lose 40 lbs, I know it can be done and I can do it". I would do like Ohiogirlatheart and look into jump starting your metabolism. Shaking it up. I know sometimes I'll have what I think is a "bad" week and I'll end up losing weight. Hang in there, don't don't don't give up. And let me know if you ever need to talk. I'm in about the same boat as you :) (lost 64 lbs, need to lose about 30 lbs more). We can do it! Oh and I'm sorry I'm no help in the high BP area :/

you're not a car, you don't need 'jumpstarting' :laugh:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Not all HBP can be controlled by diet and exercise. What does your Dr say about your HBP? What is sky high? Are you taking meds?

How “should” you be working out? Something is better than nothing in exercise. BTW, exercise is overrated as a weight loss strategy.

You keep a food diary? Use a food scale? WL is a set of things to do. Focus on doing them and the scale will take care of itself. Work on doing things you can control. It will help you push back against feeling discouraged. Do the process, the scale will follow.

Great questions and advice right here.
  • dreamer352
    dreamer352 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been on blood pressure pills for years. The doctor prescribed a higher dose on my original meds and then had to prescribe me another prescription. So I am now on 2 different meds for my blood pressure. Hoping it levels out soon.
    I do keep a food diary, most days. Sometimes I don't take the time to fill it out. I do have a food scale and try to use it, at least when I am home.
    I guess I am just frustrated and need someone to talk/discuss things with.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    perhaps stay off the scale for a while and use tight clothing as a gauge and motivation for your loss for now.

also..not adding salt is a good step to help your high blood pressure. But have you thought about going total whole foods and not eating any processed sauces, dressings, or frozen, packaged meals and food. There is so much sodium in those...just look at the nutrition panels,

I make all my own sauces and use not salt added diced tomatoes and sauce ... it makes an amazing difference in speed of weight loss and on blood pressure.