Why do I keep gaining and losing the same 3-5 lbs?

Options
I started on the Keto/Atkins plan and of July. To date I have plateaued at 22lbs weight loss. I have lost and gained the same 3-5 lbs for the past 3 1/2 weeks. I still have 50lbs to lose.

It's driving me crazy. I constantly keep my carbs between 20-25g per day. Basically, macros are at 75, 25, 5%. Very little exercise because of work commute, hours, obligations.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks so much!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day?
  • 4Utahzsmile
    4Utahzsmile Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depending on the day, 1000 to 1500
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything you eat in grams and using accurate database entries? It's common for people to be eating more than they think.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That's called maintenance...
  • 4Utahzsmile
    Options
    I try to weigh my food as much as possible. Your comment has crossed my mind as well.

I do use a journal and calculator regularly. It's funny how you wake up and can feel the loss and gain. So much more difficult as you grow older....
  • 4Utahzsmile
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

What are you referring to? Please clarify
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    well, thats called maintenance .. so, what you're doing now will work at macitence which is losing and gaining the same small amount of weight you allow. Now.. you have to figure out how to get the reduction part down and you're good to go.
  • pinuplove
    edited October 2018
    Options

If you are bouncing in a 3-5 pound range for several weeks in a row, it's likely you're eating at or near maintenance (the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight, neither gain nor lose).

Logging errors could be the culprit here. It's very easy to *think* you're eating 1000-1500 calories, when in reality you're eating 1500-2000 calories. Especially in a high fat diet, since fat 'costs' more at 9 calories per gram than carbs or protein at 4. I'd suggest you tighten up logging, weigh everything for a few weeks, and make sure you are using accurate entries in your diary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Someone who is maintaining their weight will typically bounce around a range of 3-5 Lbs up and down with natural weight fluctuations...this would suggest that you're eating at or close to maintenance calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I try to weigh my food as much as possible. Your comment has crossed my mind as well.

I do use a journal and calculator regularly. It's funny how you wake up and can feel the loss and gain. So much more difficult as you grow older....

First, I lost 80ish pounds when I was 54 and I've kept it off. I found that I had to get serious about logging ALL my food, every day. It actually isn't harder when you're older. That's a story you're telling yourself.

It really is important to know how much you are eating. If you have 50 pounds to lose, it should be relatively easy to drop weight once you log food accurately. Keto isn't magic. It's still about eating a bit less than your body needs so you can lose the body fat.

So whatever you're eating, eat 500 calories less of it per day, and log it.

• 4Utahzsmile
    Options
    So discouraging to think I need to take in fewer than 1000 calories every day. Many days are less now....I'll work on the suggestions and see if things change. Thank you so much!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    So discouraging to think I need to take in fewer than 1000 calories every day. Many days are less now....I'll work on the suggestions and see if things change. Thank you so much!

Nobody said to do that! They said to use a food scale to weigh everything, and log it all. Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Nobody said to do that! They said to use a food scale to weigh everything, and log it all. Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

I think I can "ctrl V" at anytime and your link is what will paste. If only you got a commission for every click! ;)
  • wilmawillwin
    wilmawillwin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You really need to find a way to add some exercise. Something to actually burn the calories. Get your metabolism working a bit harder. Even with little time to exercise, Squats or Lunges while watching TV will strengthen muscles, which in turn will burn more calories, even at rest.
  • pinuplove
    edited October 2018
    Options

Looked back at my post - nope definitely didn't say that. 1000 calories is very, very little food, especially when 75% of them are coming from fat! (The macros in the OP add up to 105%, so possibly only 70, but still...)
  • reality7001
    reality7001 Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have been very strict with what I eat and weighing, measuring and logging accurately every single meal and I'm in the same boat. I am eating roughly 1200 Cal/day. I lost 10lbs and then stopped. I do some activity almost every day. Weather it be swimming or cardio and weights etc. I have been fluctuating around 3-4 lbs for the past 3 weeks! This week I'm intensifying my workouts and hope it does something. I don't want to cut calories further because I don't see that being healthy.