Does anyone else suffer “light days?”

Options
Every once in a while I suffer from what I haves coined “light days.” These are days in which I’m on track with eating healthy, logging meals and even getting some exercise but I feel as if I’m feeling light (headed and stomach). My head feels light and my hunger is not being satisfied by the same foods that I’ve been eating since this journey has begun. I often feel as though a feather could knock me over! These days are few and far between but they often strike suddenly and are not quenched until I eat something that is usually loaded with something I’m trying to avoid (i.e. cheeseburger, wings etc). Any suggestions for when these days hit? Anyone else suffer from this or something similar? I’d like to know I’m not going crazy...

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Only if I haven't been eating enough. How many calories per day are you eating, on average?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do they line up with your menstrual cycle? I get ravenous about 3 days before TOM hits.
  • melody6086
    melody6086 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Only if I haven't been eating enough. How many calories per day are you eating, on average?

On average I eat 1500-1700 daily. My allowance is 1700 but I try to stay below as much as possible but I usually stay at 1500.

• Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy, this happens to me too. From time to time, I get light-headed as well. It sounds like you may have a nutrient deficiency. Cravings are usually a sign that the body is missing something it needs. I'm not a doctor and I could be wrong on this, but if you are craving meat, that's usually a sign of a protein deficiency. However, I recommend consulting a doctor or nutritionist to make sure it's not a more serious underlying condition. You can never be too careful. Good luck!
  • melody6086
    Options
    Do they line up with your menstrual cycle? I get ravenous about 3 days before TOM hits.

Not really. I usually get super sleepy those days before. I’d trade food for sleep around that time.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    melody6086 wrote: »
    Every once in a while I suffer from what I haves coined “light days.” These are days in which I’m on track with eating healthy, logging meals and even getting some exercise but I feel as if I’m feeling light (headed and stomach). My head feels light and my hunger is not being satisfied by the same foods that I’ve been eating since this journey has begun. I often feel as though a feather could knock me over! These days are few and far between but they often strike suddenly and are not quenched until I eat something that is usually loaded with something I’m trying to avoid (i.e. cheeseburger, wings etc). Any suggestions for when these days hit? Anyone else suffer from this or something similar? I’d like to know I’m not going crazy...

Two reasons this happens to me:
    1. My TOM, I usually eat maintenance and find I crave meat in general, which is odd for me. I just go with it!
    2. When my sinuses are acting up it makes me feel lightheaded, and for some wackadoodle reason my brain reads it as hunger. Sometimes I will notice the increased appetite before I realize I'm getting a sinus headache due to allergies. If I treat the allergies/sinuses my appetite evens out.

I'll add that if your logging is estimated or at all sketchy, it's possible you are overestimating something on these days and undereating without realizing it.

I'll also add that as long as they are few and far between, there's no harm in treating yourself within reason when it happens. But I can understand trying to know why!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My friend went on a really low fat diet and actually passed out. Once she upped her fats she was ok again. Might be worth looking at your macros to make sure you are hitting your recommended daily allowance on those days when you feel a bit light headed.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    How is your blood pressure normally? I tend to trend low on blood pressure, and being in a deficit can sometimes exacerbate it because my salt intake is lower than normal. The foods you mentioned are high in salt, so maybe it's making you feel better because your blood pressure rises? It's really hard to tell over the forums, but it's a possibility.
  • melody6086
    Options
    My friend went on a really low fat diet and actually passed out. Once she upped her fats she was ok again. Might be worth looking at your macros to make sure you are hitting your recommended daily allowance on those days when you feel a bit light headed.

OMG! You may have hit this on the head! I NEVER hit my fat allowance. And it’s not because I’m actively trying. Wow! And what I crave that satisfies the light headed feeling is commonly something “fatty!” Ok, new objective now. I’m glad I pay attention to my macros or else I wouldn’t have been able to apply your good advice! Thank you!
  • melody6086
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    melody6086 wrote: »

Two reasons this happens to me:
    1. My TOM, I usually eat maintenance and find I crave meat in general, which is odd for me. I just go with it!
    2. When my sinuses are acting up it makes me feel lightheaded, and for some wackadoodle reason my brain reads it as hunger. Sometimes I will notice the increased appetite before I realize I'm getting a sinus headache due to allergies. If I treat the allergies/sinuses my appetite evens out.

I'll add that if your logging is estimated or at all sketchy, it's possible you are overestimating something on these days and undereating without realizing it.

I'll also add that as long as they are few and far between, there's no harm in treating yourself within reason when it happens. But I can understand trying to know why!

I do suffer from sinus issues, so I’ll keep an eye on that.

I also try to be accurate with with my logging but admittedly I do “eyeball” it from time to time. So I’ll do better with that.

Another comment was that my fat intake may be too low. I think that may be my problem. Thanks for all the great advice! I appreciate all your wisdom!
  • melody6086
    Options
    How is your blood pressure normally? I tend to trend low on blood pressure, and being in a deficit can sometimes exacerbate it because my salt intake is lower than normal. The foods you mentioned are high in salt, so maybe it's making you feel better because your blood pressure rises? It's really hard to tell over the forums, but it's a possibility.

I do tend to run low blood pressure wise and that makes sense! It is hard to tell over a forum but as long as I can get a push in the right direction I’m sure I’ll figure it out. Thank you!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    This is the great thing about MFP forums. Other people often have insights that you haven't thought of. I had a lot of great advice when I first started out here. :)
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. Some times my light days are physical, some days they are more mental. If I crave something, I typically try to find a compromise to see if that helps. Triple cheeseburger...how about the single. Ice cream, lets go for low calorie or even ice milk, or how about fruit with a little whip cream. If after a day or two the desire is still there, I go ahead and satisfy my craving. Help keep my sanity and endurance for the long run.
    I then log with MFP and hold myself accountable to not give in to another for 5, 7, 14 days straight (depends on the cheat). I'm sure there are other ways...this is just my way of dealing with my biggest enemy, myself.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you’ve set up MFP correctly, you shouldn’t eat under your target calories. Set your goal in MFP at 1 lb per week then eat the calories it gives you.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I generally assume that on those days I need something more. After all flexibility is a virtue, lol. , Sometimes it's caused by meds, sometimes it's TOM, or I'm coming down with something and sometimes it seems completely if it's a very specific craving I try and decide if it's worth an indulgence. If it's just general hunger and lightheadedness, usually cheese and nuts, or a fiber one bar will solve it.