Percentages question

Options
Allie154d
Allie154d Posts: 9 Member
edited October 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me. I had been following a high protein diet where it was recommended I was to eat 150g protein per day and was recommended to be eating in the range of 1600. I’m not a meat eater and so to reach target I was drinking protein shakes and eating protein bars along with healthy protein at each meal. However I have actually put on weight and feel absolutely rubbish! I have decided then to change my percentages of fat, carbs and protein. Anyone have any ideas what would be my optimal percentages of each? And how many calories I should be taking per day? I’m 5ft 1 and weigh 60kg at the moment. I exercise between 3-5 days per week depending and usually do a mixture of interval training and body weight exercises. I’m usually hitting 10,000 steps per day and have a sedentary job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    If you’re trying to lose weight, then you have to focus on calories, as calories are king when it comes to weight loss. How long have you been trying to lose weight, and how long have you been gaining?

Macros are really an individual thing. Some prefer higher carb, some prefer higher protein, some prefer higher fat, while others go for a more balanced macro approach- it’s mostly for hunger control.
  • Allie154d
    Options
    I was told to eat in the range if 1600 per day but this was way too much for me. Eating too much protein makes me feel nauseous as well so it’s difficult to stick to as well.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you are putting on weight, you are eating more than 1600 calories per day. Do you use a food scale?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • cerise_noir
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Perhaps your protein goal may be too high if you cannot reach your calorie goal. Usually 1g per kilo of weight is around the right amount to shoot for (I think? Correct me if I’m wrong, please?)

Is 1600 the goal mfp gave you?
  • Allie154d
    Options
    Hey thanks for the responses. No it was an online personal trainer that gave me that goal but it hasn’t worked for me at all. Should I go with mfp calorie recommendations?
  • Allie154d
    Options
    I have been trying to lose for the past couple of months but have noticed weight gain in the last month especially. Feeling tired and very sluggish so
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Allie154d wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the responses. No it was an online personal trainer that gave me that goal but it hasn’t worked for me at all. Should I go with mfp calorie recommendations?

Yeah, if what you're doing now isn't working for you, it's time to change it up.

Agreed.

Since you don’t have much to lose, select to lose 1lb or .5lb per week option.
  • Allie154d
    Options
    Massive reduction in calories through MFP. I’ve now been put on 1250 kcals per day. Does this sound about right?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Massive reduction in calories through MFP. I’ve now been put on 1250 kcals per day. Does this sound about right?

Did you choose 1 or .5 a week as your weight loss goal? Keep in mind that doesn't include your exercise calories. You'll be logging your exercise and eating those calories back, so on the days you exercise you will have more than 1,250.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I also suggest changing your approach. Enter your stats into MFP for your calorie goal. Set your weight loss goal to no more than .25-.5 kg/week. For me, a 40% carb/30% fat/30% protein breakdown work best. Log everything you eat.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    10k steps without the activity generating those steps getting logged separately corresponds to an activity level of active on mfp.

I do not particulaly like the part where the op feels sluggish in conjunction with dropping calories.

Weight going up and going down.... How often does the op measure their weight? What was the starting point and where are we now?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, it doesn't sound like you have much to lose. You should probably be looking to lose @ 0.5lbs - 1 lb per week. And whatever goal MFP gives you, you will be eating that PLUS at least some of your exercise calories.

I'd also add - if you are getting 10,000 steps daily, you are NOT sedentary, so double check your activity level as well.

Have you been sluggish the whole time you've been eating 1600 cals or just recently? Perhaps moderating your protein a bit and getting more carbs and fat will help that. A typical recommendation for protein is to get 0.8g of protein per lb of your goal weight.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options

So, the way to find out is to try it out for a couple-few weeks. If you’re losing an average of 0.5 per week or thereabouts, it’s right.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me. I had been following a high protein diet where it was recommended I was to eat 150g protein per day and was recommended to be eating in the range of 1600. I’m not a meat eater and so to reach target I was drinking protein shakes and eating protein bars along with healthy protein at each meal. However I have actually put on weight and feel absolutely rubbish! I have decided then to change my percentages of fat, carbs and protein. Anyone have any ideas what would be my optimal percentages of each? And how many calories I should be taking per day? I’m 5ft 1 and weigh 60kg at the moment. I exercise between 3-5 days per week depending and usually do a mixture of interval training and body weight exercises. I’m usually hitting 10,000 steps per day and have a sedentary job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I had good success following the setup described here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1 But your mileage may vary.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    What is your protein made of? Whey? Do you have issues with dairy?

I regularly eat 150grams of protein; I think my macros are 35c/35f/30p (about 2000 calories a day). I think if I had to eat 150 grams of protein from shakes...I would feel gross too.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I agree with others. I don't know why you were on a high protein diet, nor the proteins you were on. Not saying you should have been on it, but if so, I would stay away from powders and bars. I diet at 30% carbs, 30% protein, 40% fat, but some days carbs are anywhere from 20-50%. I keep a 1/2 lbs per week loss rate, and found it hard to get my protein till I started more fresh veg salads with boiled egg and cottage cheese, maybe in a tuna salad. This is typically lunch (I skip breakfast normally, eat lunch about 4 hours after waking sometime around 11am). Cottage cheese is 5g carbs, 5g fat, and 12g protein...really good ratios to bump up protein while still keeping things in general balance, esp adding in low calorie high nut veggies to the salad (spinach, tomato, mushroom, squash, carrots). The boiled egg and 5oz of canned tuna really boost the protein in the meal, without adding much cost to it. Now as I go into dinner, I have plenty of calories left to feel full and get me through the night, but the flexibility to eat what I need to meet daily goals (fiber, CFP, minerals, etc).
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    As others said, if the problem is fat gain (vs. water retention), then cutting calories (or counting accurately) is the solution, not adjusting macros.

Regarding macros, I personally think minimums (in grams) is more meaningful than percentages. Rule of thumb minimums:
    Protein- 1g per lb LBM (if BF% unknown, use 0.8g per lb GW). Less needed if eating at maintenance or in surplus.
    Fat- 0.35g per lb body weight
    Fiber- 20g to 25g for women (besides fiber, carbs have no minimum)

The biggest problem that strikes me from your post, OP, is that you don’t enjoy the eating that way and you feel rubbish. Losing weight will be so much easier and enjoyable if you genuinely enjoy the foods. So long as you are hitting the minimums, a wide range of macro balance is healthy and it really boils down to what you like and what makes you feel good.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. But I am also 5'1" and at 60kg I have to be down to about 1250 net per day to be losing a pound a week. Right now I am a little above that weight and doing 1300/day.

Also.... eat in a way you can enjoy and sustain. Don't punish yourself or you won't be able to maintain.