overworked biceps

Options
I workout with my trainer on monday ( bicepts ) which I havent in a long time, while i was working out there were some reps that we challenging but no pain. Monday night soreness started to the point where I could not extend my arms. Wednesday, arms are very swollen and can barely move them or extend them. Started applying heat wedneday but the soreness or swollen has not gone down at all. Should I be worried and go see a doctor? please help

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    That's called delayed onset muscle soreness, it's very common when people do a new type of exercise. It'll go away on its own, usually after a few days. Moving your arms and lightly issuing your biceps will actually help it pass sooner.
  • TeamScorpioRI
    TeamScorpioRI Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What they said ^^^

delayed onset muscle soreness, or DOMS, suck. It is expected, especially when starting a new routine or upping your weights. They can also last for a while. Stretching works, but really, as odd as it may seem, working out again with a slightly lighter set of weights helps the most I have found.

The one thing you want to make sure of is if there is any bruising on the bicep. This could indicate a tear and not just standard DOMS. If that is the case, stop and go to the doctor immediately. I had a partial tear in my bicep and it sidelined me for a good 6 months.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It is definitely DOMS I recommend add stretching and massaging to help. Epsom salt baths will help as well.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    So... when is Leg Day?

>:)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I’ve had terrible DOMS before - never swelling. That’s usually an indication of rhabdomyolysis...

How bad is the swelling?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I’ve had terrible DOMS before - never swelling. That’s usually an indication of rhabdomyolysis...

How bad is the swelling?

This. I've had some pretty nasty DOMS but never to the point of swelling or decreased range of motion. Very uncomfortable range of motion, but I could still move the joints above and below the affected muscle to full limits.

OP, have you noticed if the color of your urine is darker than usual?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »

How bad is the swelling?

This. I've had some pretty nasty DOMS but never to the point of swelling or decreased range of motion. Very uncomfortable range of motion, but I could still move the joints above and below the affected muscle to full limits.

OP, have you noticed if the color of your urine is darker than usual?

Yes, I was typing out the same thing ^
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I did 120+ pushups one time and had the same problem. Couldn't extend my arms, and was barely able to get a cigarette to my mouth (pain inner elbow). Took 1-2 weeks to be able to be half way normal, probably a month b4 I was 95% recovered. That was also when I was 20 something and in the Marine Corps. I think with time and rest, you'll be fine.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I've never had swelling and i've had pretty bad DOMS.

My question is tho - why would a PT work only your biceps in a session??

I mean, how long was the session?

Just seems weird to me. I usually pair biceps or triceps with back or chest. Would personally never spend a whole 45-60 mins just working my biceps...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Use ice rather than heat for swelling.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I've never had swelling and i've had pretty bad DOMS.

My question is tho - why would a PT work only your biceps in a session??

I mean, how long was the session?

Just seems weird to me. I usually pair biceps or triceps with back or chest. Would personally never spend a whole 45-60 mins just working my biceps...

Some of them are just not very good. There was a trainer with what looked like a new lifter at my gym. I was using a few pieces of equipment in an area where there were training. The trainer had him doing at least 3 sets each of 4 different bicep isolation exercises.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    @packerjohn

I've often wondered if trainers honestly want clients to learn and progress?

If you think about it, a few good lectures on the fundamentals of CICO, macros, and general nutritional and excersise sciences plus a 2-3 months worth of 3x a week actual training on good form, how to split or combine muscle groups, how to factor in cardio, types of cardio, how to find a routine that's right for your goals (starting strength, anything on BB.com, nerdfitness etc)...that is all a person really needs to head out into the world of fitness confidently and if they are disciplined they will get pretty far on just that little bit of instruction.

So why do trainers have people balancing on bosu balls doing goblet squats with kettlebells for 50 reps?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    @packerjohn

If you think about it, a few good lectures on the fundamentals of CICO, macros, and general nutritional and excersise sciences plus a 2-3 months worth of 3x a week actual training on good form, how to split or combine muscle groups, how to factor in cardio, types of cardio, how to find a routine that's right for your goals (starting strength, anything on BB.com, nerdfitness etc)...that is all a person really needs to head out into the world of fitness confidently and if they are disciplined they will get pretty far on just that little bit of instruction.

So why do trainers have people balancing on bosu balls doing goblet squats with kettlebells for 50 reps?

Some trainers ARE good. But you have to pay for it. I've had a couple of awesome trainers and now I am comfortable enough to go off on my own and do my own thing. Due to the knowledge they passed on to me. But the generic trainers at my gym I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    @packerjohn

I would agree. I had a layoff situation and to keep myself busy, and because I'm interested in this stuff I took a live 45 hour exam prep class over 15 weeks for the ACE Personal Trainer Certification exam. The ACE training emphasizes what you are saying about the basics. I would also agree, for most clients 2-3 months of solid work with perhaps a once a month follow up session after that to check form, help tweak programs, etc should be appropriate.

Could 50 rep goblet squats on a bosu ball be appropriate? Possibly in some rehab type situation? If that's the case, the gym trainer shouldn't be prescribing it (IMO, helping the client with rehab movements as prescribed by a physical therapist would be fine). BTW, the course had somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 pages of printed material, I'm pretty sure there was no mention of a bosu ball (or it was a very small side note).

I think some trainers go the route you suggest because of 1) lack of knowledge of the basics, 2) they think the basics aren't sexy enough and do this goofy *kitten* to have something else to show clients, or 3) they are getting some sort of financial incentive (especially on supplements, meal plans, etc. BTW, the ACE ethics rules prohibit a trainer from making individual specific diet recommendations).
  • circuitc99
    circuitc99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Swelling is enough to be noticed, color of pee is light yellow since I have been drinking lots of water. Session was 30 minutes, 4 different exercises with 3-4 sets each holding 20-25lbs. Worked in triceps but I have little soreness on those. This morning noticed swelling is less but range of motion is still very limited, I have only applied heat...should I be doing ice?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My 2 cents is that it's DOMs. Muscles can be really sore the first few times you train in a new way it won't last. I think the soreness is making it feel swollen.

Secondly IMHO you have a poor personal trainer. What else do you do with him/her? How many sessions per week?

I'd bet a dollar to a penny your goals don't warrant and arm specific session.......
  • circuitc99
    circuitc99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, after this occurrence I will not be training with her anymore! I expressed to her my difficulty lifting when I was doing the exercise her response was “it’s not supposed to be easy” 😡 I should have known better and stopped while I was having a hard time, lesson learned.