Calling all Martial Artists . . . . With Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I know the title of this message will only interest a very select few, but if you are such a person that is training in Martial Arts and you have done so with a heart rate monitor, I have some questions:

What Martial Art were you doing while using your monitor?
How many calories per hour did you burn? Or total calories?
What monitor did you use? Did you find that it hindered your training in any way?

The more info the better as I may be thinking of buying a monitor to better track my excercise, but I have a feeling that a wrist watch style might hinder alot of drills/techniques. Can I wear a chest strap with the watch near by, and just look at the totals at the end? I assume the good ones are a wireless technology?

Thank you to all those who respond!
Siulung (An extra two points for those of you who know what my nickname means . . . No Google-ing! Cheaters! lol)

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I trained in muay thai but never with a HRM.

What are you training in? It's going to vary depending on what you do, and for how long. Days that you spar aren't going to burn as many calories as days you are conditioning (bag/padwork or drills).
  • siulung
    siulung Posts: 15
    Options
    I train in the art of Jeet Kune Do (The way of the Intercepting Fist). It is the Martial Art developed by the late Bruce Lee from Wing Chun Gung Fu, Western Boxing and Fencing tactics.

The problem I’m having is with trying to figure out how many calories I burned during a training session. Some sessions might be more technique based, and if the room is a little warm you might break a sweat, but you are never really breathing hard.

Then other sessions might be sparring or “Live fire” drills that look like sparring. Where your clothes are drenched in sweat and you are breathing nice and hard. (Love those ones!) So that’s why I’m thinking of getting a heart rate/calorie monitor, to better track what I’m actually burning while training.

. . . That’s my long winded way of saying . . . BUMP! :)

So if anyone has an answer for my questions (in the first message of this thread) from their own experiences, I’d love to hear it!