Discrepancy with serving sizes vs what is pictured in MFP blog photos...

Options
Is this correct or am I seeing things?

The blog for " What a 1200 calorie Day Looks Like protein edition" shows a photo with 3 egg muffin, however you follow the link to the recipe and the serving suggestion is only 2 muffins. Same with Avocado sweet potato toasts in the paleo edition, it shows 2 but the serving is just 1. This is so deceiving. And other varying photos in the blogs.

Am I just blowing this out of proportion in my brain?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    so maybe they have 1.5 servings...i think you are blowing this out of proportion
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    it just bugs me they are not truthful in the title of the article. losing faith in MFP blogs.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I solved this problem by not reading the MFP blogs :wink:
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @jlscherme - What a 1200 Calorie Day Looks Like protein edition" shows a photo with 3 egg muffins with some tomato on top and a calorie count of 167 for the lot. The showmetheyummy article that the MFP blog links to for the recipe shows that the muffins are 50 calories each. I could then see 167 calories for 3 egg muffins (150 cal) plus some additional tomato.

It just looks like the MFP author Danielle Omar is suggesting 3 egg muffins in her suggestion for a 1200 calorie day.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    They had a recipe with 'walnut' in the title, there wasn't any walnuts in the recipe.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Reading the recipe might have helped:
    1 serving (2 cups) have 125 calories (https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/9-low-carb-breakfast-egg-muffins-300-calories/) so 3 cups would have 187.5 calories.

The blog lists 167 calories ... 20.5 calories "discrepancy".

Let me assure you that if your diet goes completely wrong it were not these 20 calories
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    Is this correct or am I seeing things?

The blog for " What a 1200 calorie Day Looks Like protein edition" shows a photo with 3 egg muffin, however you follow the link to the recipe and the serving suggestion is only 2 muffins. Same with Avocado sweet potato toasts in the paleo edition, it shows 2 but the serving is just 1. This is so deceiving. And other varying photos in the blogs.

Am I just blowing this out of proportion in my brain?

The actual recipe for the egg muffin says 50 calories per muffin. On the MFP blog with 3 muffins pictured they list the calories as 167. They are not giving calorie information for 2 muffins and showing 3 so I don't think that is being deceptive. Their amount is different for some reason from the recipe though as it is more like 56 calories per muffin according to the MFP blog. https://showmetheyummy.com/healthy-egg-muffin-cups/
    The sweet potato avocado toast with poached egg is 147 calories for 1 according to the recipe. The blog shows 2 and gives 294 for the calorie count which would be for 2 of them. That is not deceptive.

The MFP blog is not always great but this time I don't think they were bad or using trickery.

I think you are getting caught up in some confusion in your brain. A serving size on a recipe or label does not mean you have to only eat that amount. They are just saying this is the amount of calories for this amount of food. You can eat as much as you want of something and call it a serving for the purposes of logging as long as the calories add up to fit your goal in the end.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    This is food on the internet. Pinterest "200 calorie casserole" photo shows whole baking dish, kinda thing.