Time to Lower Calories?

Five weeks ago, I started working on losing weight by tracking calories (kept a paper journal at first, then switched to MFP later on).

First week, lost nothing. So I changed up my foods (started eating less processed, kept calories in same range) and lost 3lbs/wk for the next 3 weeks. This past week (5th week), I gained a lb at the start and since then haven't lost anything.

This entire time, I've been at around 2,000 calories a day and most days doing an hour of biking along with weight training. Is it time for me to lower the calories more? (For reference, I'm stuck at 204 lbs and am only 5'3".)

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    agree with all the above but also ensure logging is accurate. weighing is better than measuring and be careful when choosing entries (they are user generated so some are not all that accurate).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I suggest reading:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

You should never react to a single week of data. That is a classic mistake that can really hinder sustainability. You could drive yourself nuts because no matter what you do the scale may still go up or stay the same for weeks at a time and it will have nothing to do with fat loss. You have to make sure you are logging correctly and then wait about 5 weeks or 7 weeks after you begin weight loss to get enough information (under normal conditions) to make a decision.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Scale weight fluctuates, especially for females. Read this awesome article!

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Be patient.

Also, you’re female so any gains can be hormonal as well.

I agree that if the 102 is your goal weight, that’s way too light for your height.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Patience. Weightloss isn’t linear. Some weeks you will lose. Some weeks you will gain. And some weeks nothing will change. It’s normal. Look at your trend over time. Having only been at 204 for 2 weeks, I would hardly say you are stuck there.

So let’s do some math. If we count the first week you are averaging 1.6 lbs a week. If we don’t count that week, you are averaging 2lbs per week.

Recommended weight loss rates:
    National Institute of Health recommends losing 10% bodyweight over 6 months.

For sustainability:
    0.5 lb per week if you have less than 25lbs to lose
    1 lb per week if you have 25-50lbs to lose
    1.5 lb per week if you have 50-75lbs to lose
    2 lb per week if you have 75+ lbs to lose

No more than 1% bodyweight loss per week if you want mostly fat loss.

This is good info to know. I almost want to start weighing in just once a month to avoid seeing these weekly fluctuations.
  • somethingsoright
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You've lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks. Beyond ensuring you are tracking accurately, and thus really consuming the amount of calories you think you are not more, nothing needs to change.

If the 102 in your username is your goal weight, you should be aware that is underweight for someone 5'3.

I was going by this new BMI calculator. It's supposed to adjust for short (and tall) people better. Plus, I used to weigh 108 at my fittest (running daily and lifting heavy) and still had unwanted fat on my thighs and didn't look skinny.
  • somethingsoright
    I am reading the links you all posted. Will read more after work. I will soak up the good info. Thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    204to102 wrote: »
    You've lost 8 pounds in 5 weeks. Beyond ensuring you are tracking accurately, and thus really consuming the amount of calories you think you are not more, nothing needs to change.

If the 102 in your username is your goal weight, you should be aware that is underweight for someone 5'3.

I was going by this new BMI calculator. It's supposed to adjust for short (and tall) people better. Plus, I used to weigh 108 at my fittest (running daily and lifting heavy) and still had unwanted fat on my thighs and didn't look skinny.

I'm 5ft 5 and 137lbs, that BMI calculator told me I'm obese... utter rubbish.

Something is seriously wrong with that tool -- I'm 5'4 and 108 and according to that tool, I'm overweight. My ideal range is 69 to 93 pounds. It's either built incorrectly or is designed to appeal to the ED community.

OP, if you don't like how you look at 108, you should probably consider resistance training. It's probably going to be way more impactful for your happiness with your appearance than going into an unhealthy weight range will be.

Mine said 72 to 98... pro ana site was my first thought too
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2018
    204to102 wrote: »

I'm 5ft 5 and 137lbs, that BMI calculator told me I'm obese... utter rubbish.

Something is seriously wrong with that tool -- I'm 5'4 and 108 and according to that tool, I'm overweight. My ideal range is 69 to 93 pounds. It's either built incorrectly or is designed to appeal to the ED community.

OP, if you don't like how you look at 108, you should probably consider resistance training. It's probably going to be way more impactful for your happiness with your appearance than going into an unhealthy weight range will be.

Mine said 72 to 98... pro ana site was my first thought too

Weird, mine said at 5'4 and 131 that I'm healthy but could go as low as 105.7 all the way to 142. 105.7 is way too low for me though. I'd look like a skeleton. I initially got obese but didn't click on the lbs. and inches bubble so had to redo it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    @TavistockToad Your'e doing something wrong.

57qop48rvpp3.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @TavistockToad Your'e doing something wrong.

57qop48rvpp3.png

Maybe it's not always doing the lb/inches even when you check it? I got similar results and I double-checked my settings.
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    It has me 93# at least I wouldn’t have to worry about what I need to look like on Halloween. That’s crazy!