Macro Diet 101 - Tips

Options
upformore
upformore Posts: 17 Member
edited October 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I have currently become interested in being a bit more thorough and strict on what foods I eat. I'm not only keeping track of calories, but I'm starting to track the Macros as well; grams of proteins, carbs, and fat.

I have found that as I start to track this...based on what I need...and after eating normal that I am NO WAY NEAR hitting my numbers. I'm especially low in the proteins which is an easy fix, but I more worry about keeping the carbs and fats in check.

That all being said, does anyone have tips as to how to regulate this, get a plan started and then maintain this type of healthy eating program? I don't want to eat the same things every single day, but I would definitely like to have a more set pattern. I travel a ton for work so finding a way to simplify the process would be AMAZING.

Any and all tips are welcome!!!

ALWAYS LOOKING TO CONNECT:

Garmin Connect: norcalrunner
Fitbit: https://www.fitbit.com/user/2YLH4K

Replies

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Pre logging is the main thing you can do. I tend to be fine on protein but over do it with fat. I eat different foods for dinner daily, but generally have the same breakfast and snack and repeat the same lunches. I keep my breakfast and snacks lower in fat so I can have more for lunch and dinner. So even though the food is different every day, I know MY problem is usually the fat/carb ratio so I just have a little less fat and add a little more carb and it will work out to the right range. I do not try to hit numbers perfectly, that would drive me crazy.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Here is the way I look at it. I try and get in between 0.8 and 1.2 g of protein / body weight per day. Then the rest from fat and carbs. If one is a little higher than the other I don't worry about it, as long as I hit my calories for the day and protein.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Start with protein then back into carbs and fats
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 0.8 grams of protein per pound of weight, 0.5 grams of fat per pound and the remaining calories fall where they fall. As long as my minimum requirements are met, I am getting a good variety of foods and my micronutrients are on point I am not too fussed by my overall percentages. I don't want to make things more complicated for me than they need to be.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Have a protein serving, a carb and some fat in every meal.

Heavy on the vegetables (say, half the plate.) Easy on the bread and grains. :drinker: