Advice on wristband pedometers...

Options
Hello everyone

I want to buy a reliable wristband pedometer, which tells me how many steps I've taken each day and also the calories i've burned.

I would like it to be chargeable, rather than battery operated if possible.

I don't need it to connect to my phone or anything like that. I don't need to monitor my heart rate, or sleep pattern or anything like that.

I don't need it be waterproof either.

Any suggestions? All advice gratefully received.

(my budget is around £60.)

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Any reason you don't just go for a Fitbit?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The Jawbone ones are quite good for a basic reliable pedometer around £10 for the most basic one on amazon can be worn as wristband or clip on. It is battery operated rather than rechargeable battery but it's very easy to change (doesn't need to go into a watch place, there is a tool to open it in the box and you can pick up the batteries dirt cheap in most shops).

It does have an app and will calculate calorie burn, the app however no longer syncs with MFP (that appears to not matter too much from your post though).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    If you have a cell phone, use one of the step tracking apps (Google Fit, Samsung Shealth, Apple Health). But, you have to carry it with you all the time on your person. (I would guess it doesn't work as well in a purse.)

Problem with the "wrist pedometers" is evident just by considering the phrase. There is considerable inaccuracy just because it's on your wrist. Also, there is no exact correspondence between steps and calories burned.

All that said: I think FitBit has the edge for the most affordable solutions.
  • nisey8265
    nisey8265 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I bought an extender for my Fitbit so I can wear it on my ankle
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I would just go for the top sellers on amazon. The one I just found on there is £16 and has lots of reviews so you can just read them and decide. £60 is way too expensive for just a wrist pedometer. Look for something under £20. I use my phone which is very accurate.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    Options
    The Jawbone ones are quite good for a basic reliable pedometer around £10 for the most basic one on amazon can be worn as wristband or clip on. It is battery operated rather than rechargeable battery but it's very easy to change (doesn't need to go into a watch place, there is a tool to open it in the box and you can pick up the batteries dirt cheap in most shops).

It does have an app and will calculate calorie burn, the app however no longer syncs with MFP (that appears to not matter too much from your post though).

The Fitbit Zip would be a much better supported entry level choice. if support is not required there are a number of Chinese market wearables that offer impressive features but do not provide the ecosystem Major Brands offer.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It’s more than you are asking for but it might be worth it because you get so much function for such a great price: Amazfit Bip. I got one at the beginning of the summer and I absolutely love it. I was afraid it would be too much because I’m not a tech-oriented person (I still don’t have my email set up on the iPhone I’ve had for over 2 years LOL) but it was super easy to set up and use. I paid $120 Canadian which I think is very close to your budget once you take exchange into consideration. It’s basically an Apple Watch for a fraction of the cost.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/amazfit-bip

PS I think it’s a really great looking piece compared to a lot of fitness trackers out there and I’ve only charged it three times since early July.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the Fitbit Flex2. I don’t expect it to be highly accurate, but I find the Fitbit app itself to be highly motivating. As a consequence my activity has increased significantly. It’s fun for me to walk a little longer to watch green stars appear on the app after I reach my goals. I also like that it has some sleep tracking for the same reason. I tend to be a night owl and the charts have encouraged me to form better sleep habits. After tax it cost me around $60