Any advice for going on vacation?

Options
I started MFP at the end of July and have lost 5 lbs since beginning. I gave myself attainable goals that I know I would be able to achieve and wouldn't give up on. IE: Exercise 4x per week for at least a half hour, eat healthier, cut back on my daily intake of cheese (I am a cheese *kitten*!), drink more water (instead of iced tea or soda). I've been sticking to each of these - I have not really had much cheese (except for last night - I was craving mac and cheese...but at least I loaded it with veggies) and I have not consumed any beverages except for water (and my daily cup of coffee, and one glass of wine with Sunday dinner). AND as far as exercise...I've been doing that too!

So here is my question for all of you. My hubby and I are going to Mexico for a week. We are staying at an all inclusive resort. I know the resort has a gym and I plan on bringing my sneakers and a few outfits to work out in. My concern is all the temptations with food and drinks. I am a vegetarian so I know I will be able to make healthier choices with out a problem and already found out the restaurants will cater to veggies if you ask them.. (Yes, sadly veggies can be obese too. It's from years of eating lots of cheese, carbs and junk food.) BUT there is a swim up bar in the pool......now you know it is going to be very difficult to resist the temptation to have a fruity cocktail on a daily basis at the pool. Any advice for dealing with tempting vacations with out over indulging? I want to be able to have fun and enjoy myself but at the same time I am so worried I will have a set back. HELP!!!

Replies

• LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Have a fruity a drink a day - after a good swim in the pool! ;)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I think you should just enjoy yourself. Be aware of portion sizes at the buffet and try to get some exercise in, but your primary focus should be having fun on your holiday, in my opinion.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm off to an all inclusive resort in Egypt at the end of this month, so I'm intrigued to see people's suggestions!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yeah do some good swimming and then your calories will be burned, don't limit yourself from a good time, just watch what you eat and don't over do it, but otherwise have fun!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Exercise Daily. And just enjoy yourself under your caloric intake. COUNT!
    This is life now
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    Try drinking alot of water. I have found that if I drink plenty of water there isn't as much desire for the "not so good" food and drinks. Good luck.
  • Roo1026
    Roo1026 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would also enjoy the fruity drink!! In mexico you walk so much and swim and snorkel and dance and so on and so on.........you get my point. What fun is vacation if your going to be stressing over fruity drinks the whole time? Go make the best choices you can without causing stress and when you get home get back to your healthy habits!!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Ya...Leave hubby at home and take me instead. I promise to keep you away from all things bad for you including cheese. I will make sure you don't drink any wine and stay in the gym at least 18 hours a day. Take me please....

Seriously, enjoy yourself. One week is not going to kill you. You can stay home and be a gym rat and eat healthy 24 hours a day. Just make up your mind that this is going to be a great week regardless, and get back on board when you get back home. Whatever you do, do not weigh yourself for at least two weeks when you return...Again, do not weigh yourself for at least two weeks upon returning. You have been warned.
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My doctor always told me there's no harm in having one bad thing a day. So pick one junky delicious thing every day you're there, and make good choices with the rest of your food and you should be fine. Especially since you'll be working out. But mostly, enjoy yourself!
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    First, how great to have a vacation in Mexico! I'm also going on vacation next week, and a little worried. However, it's VACATION! I plan on trying to be "good", but it's also vacation, and time to live-it-up a little. Yes, I will overindulge. My plan is to stay on my half-marathon training, and swimming/canoeing w/ the kids. I will have WiFi available, but I'm really debating on whether I'll even track. I kinda need a break from all the counting. I also plan on NOT WEIGHING myself the week I get back. Invariably there will be excess water weight, and I'm not setting myself up for failure. I plan on getting back on track the week after, then weigh myself the next week. Life is too short not to reward ourselves. We have the tools to get keep up our new lifestyle, and resume after vacation.
  • nickelshine
    Options
    Just got back from a week and a half of vacation. While I was always aware of the diet, I was more aware that I needed to enjoy myself...knowing I'd get back to serious busy once I got home.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I would also enjoy the fruity drink!! In mexico you walk so much and swim and snorkel and dance and so on and so on.........you get my point. What fun is vacation if your going to be stressing over fruity drinks the whole time? Go make the best choices you can without causing stress and when you get home get back to your healthy habits!!

Exactly why we picked Mexico! I am a water baby, even from when I was 2 years old. My mom loves to tell the story of when they moved from the city to the suburbs with my brother and I. We went from a 2 bedroom apartment to a full house with yard and pool. My mom says I ran and jumped right into the pool with no fear, of course she almost had a heart attack - which is probably one of many reasons for her grey hair. LOL. Last year we moved from our condo (with pool) to our house (large yard for gardening but no pool). I have been dying to go swimming as I have never been without a pool since I was 2! The resort my hubby picked has snorkeling and kayaking included! I cannot wait, I know we are going to have such a great time!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Ya...Leave hubby at home and take me instead. I promise to keep you away from all things bad for you including cheese. I will make sure you don't drink any wine and stay in the gym at least 18 hours a day. Take me please....

This made me laugh!!! :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the advice, I feel so much better/ less anxious now! :flowerforyou:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I never understand these questions. The food is slightly different, the place is different, but the theory and method still apply.

You make choices and deal with consequences, good and bad. The end.

Have a fantastic week, then come home and go on with your life. You'll have to decide what's worth it and what isn't.
  • muffindowd
    Options
    I agree with Heather!! You should enjoy your vacation. Be sensible and don't eat everything in sight, but have some drinks, stay active, and enjoy yourself!! My husband and I are going to NYC in a few weeks and I intend to exercise lots, walk lots, but enjoy myself and have great food and drinks!! Have a wonderful vacation!!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    I never understand these questions. The food is slightly different, the place is different, but the theory and method still apply.

You make choices and deal with consequences, good and bad. The end.

Have a fantastic week, then come home and go on with your life. You'll have to decide what's worth it and what isn't.

I get what you are saying and thank you for your bluntness. My reason for posting this is I am obviously not good with dealing with temptation. If I was then I would not have over 100 lbs to loose. At home, it is so much easier for me to stick to my plan because we no longer keep the "sinful" foods in the house at all. So really there is no temptation. In a way, I am forcing myself to make better choices. I suppose my big fear, being I am so new to this, is slipping back to my old ways and when I return not being able to get back on track. As silly as my post may seem to you, it truly is a valid concern to me. But you are very correct, ultimately I have to make choices and deal with the consequences, good and bad. Thanks again for your input.