FitbitHRCharge2. Cycling Tracker.

Options
I have looked at the FBit community pages also but I can't find an answer so maybe someone here can help. .. I can record my cycle ride on my FBit by pressing Bike inside of Walk - ok, that's fine. And I have (eventually) found where that activity IS recorded by FBit (Dashboard, Log, Activities) on the main website - ok, that's fine. .. My question is - although the last cycle this morning registers as 320cals burned, it also shows as +0 impact on my steps (of the date up to that point.) .. so, does the cycling get added/accounted for etc as exercise? Does it get converted to steps? Is there a way to track progress of cycle ride activities in the way there is for walking? .. sorry, that's quite a few questions, but basically.. if the functionality exists on the FBit to track a cycle ride exists (and it does) - in what way can I see the analysis onscreen and how does that impact on my step target for the day (ie if I've cycled instead of walked, it feels like I haven't achieved any targets) 276u8q48sicg.png

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It will be accounted for in your adjustment on MFP.

No, it will not be converted to steps.

It will count towards your exercise for the week and your active mins.

You might want to consider focusing more on your active minutes than the number of steps you get.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    There's no conversation from bikes to steps. You don't step on the bike. It's more a change of attitude that's needed here, don't worry about your step goal of you've done other exercise.

Cycling is almost certainly better exercise for you, it stresses your cardiovascular system to a greater extent, which forces you to get more fit.
  • amandaann2017
    amandaann2017 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you!.. I have (since giving it some time after syncing.. ) seen that yes, the MFP adjustment is wonderful :) .. and about worrying about the step total - it's half that I was because of personal goal targets and half because I'm always participating in the step challenges with other people (and therefore if no steps recording, I'm coming last now that I'm cycling more! LOL) ........ However, thank you both shadow2soul and NorthCascades because I agree with both of you at this point a) about focusing more on 'active minutes' and b) seeing cycling as the way forward for me at this point. I would still love a focused visual analytical to spur me on, but I suppose the changes in the mirror are good too ;) .. :smiley:
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    My last job had "summer fitness challenge" and would pay us a bonus based on how many steps we got. I talked to one of the people in charge about this. We decided I could use a step counter app in my phone, and keep my phone in my (pants) pocket when I ride. The phone moves around with my leg and thinks I'm on a long walk. Maybe they'll let you do that?
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you want to record your bike rides you could use free apps like MapMyRide or Strava. Those apps have connection capabilities to interface with MFP. I use MapMyRide and it works great.
  • amandaann2017
    amandaann2017 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you, yes, .. I think I will also look for independent linkable apps as you mentioned. . thanks all for the responses xx
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have Fitbit charge 2 and when i cycle I don't do anything to start a bike program on Fitbit, just wear it as usual. It does add steps in my case, not sure how it calculates it. But definitely counts some steps while i ride. For the reference, my phone is in the pocket of my jersey while i ride. But Fitbit also recognizes that it's a bike ride and it keeps record of it as an "outdoor bike" with the time, heart rate graph, average bpm, break down of heart zones and calories burned. My main interest is in the heart rate with using Fitbit, and calories that it estimates for a ride are very reasonable and accurate versus the riding app, which practically doubles the number of calories.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Strava is free, and the preferred app for most cyclists. It will give you a map of your ride, can work with HR data, can tell you how the ride you just finished compares to other rides you've done and to other people, and it can tell you when it's time to replace your chain and other wear items.