Calorie Counters/Maintaining

Options
Hello there, I'm a 21 year old male at the age of 21, I'm 6ft tall. I've been eating 1700 calories per day whilst practically every calorie calculator online states that to even maintain my body-weight I would require the very minimum of 1900kcal daily, and this is when I underestimate my activity levels on the websites. I am, however, maintaining my weight (very low, 125 lbs) and sometimes even at weight gain on these lower calories and have been for a while; is there any reason why? I'm currently in process of willing to gain weight at a controlled phase, it is just that I fear that even increasing by 100kcal per day would cause too aggressive of a weight gain due to maintaining at such a low amount. In terms of health checks, I do not have any hormone balances etc., and I am being 100% honest in terms of the calorie intake/expenditure.
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    How are you getting the number of 1700? I mean, are you weighing your foods on a digital food scale?

You say you are "willing" to gain weight? Have you spoken to a doctor or counselor about this? 125 at 6'0" is very lean. If you want to gain, you'll have to eat quite a bit more than 1700 (actual) calories. The fact you say you're afraid leads me to think you may suffer from anxiety. Why not try contacting your doctor or a counselor?
  • Andrew_Roarr
    Andrew_Roarr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How are you getting the number of 1700? I mean, are you weighing your foods on a digital food scale?

You say you are "willing" to gain weight? Have you spoken to a doctor or counselor about this? 125 at 6'0" is very lean. If you want to gain, you'll have to eat quite a bit more than 1700 (actual) calories. The fact you say you're afraid leads me to think you may suffer from anxiety. Why not try contacting your doctor or a counselor?

Yeah this is already in process; I do suffer anxiety, however the plan that my therapist & I came to was for me to gradually increase my calories in order to gain weight. Yes I do measure everything I do eat with a digital food scale, just cannot work out why I am maintaining at such a low amount is all. Thank you though - I am currently receiving support around this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I would say just try to trust the process. You won't instantly gain weight (other than a pound or three at first; but a few pounds isn't anything to stress over at your weight) - it's going to be a process and the most important thing is to trust your caregivers, do the next right thing and try to not dwell on your fear. You're gonna be fine.

The low maintenance numbers is something you can discuss with your doctor - it's common after long periods of restriction but it will correct quickly, and you need to eat more, so please do.
  • InAPairOfChucks
    InAPairOfChucks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I believe Andrew_Roarr may be a bit of a troll.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    de-activated account...