Calories and macros don't match!

Options
I was watching some one on YouTube who mentioned that the calories and macros on myfitnesspal don't match. I decided to calculate this to see if it's true and it is. So today I ate 1816 calories. I ate 119 grams of protein, 101 grams of carbs and 114 grams of fat. (119 x 4) + (101 x 4) + (114 x 9)= 1906!

So which one is true, 1816 calories or 1906?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    They match within a margin of rounding error if you've used correct entries. The issue is with incorrect user-submitted MFP database entries. Check each item individually to find the offending entry(ies) and look for a better match in the database.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Errors happen through rounding of the numbers, and inaccurate database entries.

Rounding example: If you have something that is 6.8 carbs, it will log as 7. Several of those throughout the day will add up to inaccuracies.
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The answer for me is: the higher calorie count is always more correct. Unless it is exercise, then the lower calorie count is the right one. <grin>
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    So this means the calorie total is inaccurate. This whole time I’ve been going with that. Instead of 1816 calories I’ve eaten 1906. Quite sad 😔 Ive been eating more than I thought I was...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    So this means the calorie total is inaccurate. This whole time I’ve been going with that. Instead of 1816 calories I’ve eaten 1906. Quite sad 😔 Ive been eating more than I thought I was...

Not necessarily. It could be that the macros are off but the calories are correct.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Not necessarily. It could be that the macros are off but the calories are correct.

I hope so!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I eat based on caloric values; but I measure my progress based on macros multiplied! :smiley:

There are two sources of error, in addition to incorrect entries: fiber and food producer shenanigans... or is one a subclass of the other?!

Fiber can be -4 per gram or -1 per gram or anything in between depending on how many calories are absorbable.

Some producers -4 regardless and then round down a bit for some extra fun too! Others seem to be more accurate.

Others use the sub 5 Cal is 0 rule for a microgram portion when the customary portion is just a tad more...

It's a bit of a mess. And it still works quite well (with a little bit of effort and personal consistency)!

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Regardless, if it's been consistent for you up to this point, it will continue to be so. More or less. Control what you can, and accept that there will be some margin of error for what you can't control.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Back out the fiber
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    There are logging errors that people commonly make that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings