Protein shake after cardio

Is it recommended to have a protein shake after a cardio session the same way yoy would after a lifting session?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Eat when you're hungry. Nutrient timing creates so miniscule of a difference that it does not matter.

cxf0qaljgoxl.png

/end of thread. That's all you need to know.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    It's only important if it helps you stay on track with your overall diet. If it doesn't help, then it's probably doing more harm than good.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    So I was also listening to a marathon training podcast that said immediately after a very HARD cardio (not just a regular cardio sessions - think after running a 2+ hours or running super fast for shorter period) then you want to replenish carbs afterwards. but again that it would not be after every workout.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Chocolate milk is the ideal recovery drink because of the carb to protein ratio.

This is true but many people's idea of cardio is some stupid *kitten* machine in a gym for 30-60 mindless minutes. Recovery drinks are only good when you need recovery. 2+ Hour runs at a moderate pace qualify. 30 Minutes on a cardio zombie machine do not.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Beware of "recovery drinks" if you don't need them. Calories you have to log, but didn't need to consume are not helpful.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    The same in the sense that a having a protein shake after the vast majority of people's cardio or lifting sessions is irrelevant and not going to make any significant difference. Protein intake over the course of a day is important, timing isn't.

I might have a recovery protein shake along with a load of carbs (roughly 1:4 ratio protein to carbs) if I'm away from home after a really long and hard cycle ride (4+ hours) but to a degree that's replacing a missed meal.

Ask yourself if your exercise session really needs anything special in terms of fuelling or recovery or does it just fit in your day's eating plan. Don't copy extreme exercisers eating if you aren't copying their training.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Any that says you MUST have a nutrition drink right after a workout is completely wrong. However, there is studies that it may help a very very small amount, but still just your overall nutrition for the day is the important thing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Chocolate milk is the ideal recovery drink because of the carb to protein ratio.

This is true but many people's idea of cardio is some stupid *kitten* machine in a gym for 30-60 mindless minutes. Recovery drinks are only good when you need recovery. 2+ Hour runs at a moderate pace qualify. 30 Minutes on a cardio zombie machine do not.

I personally don't like chocolate milk. But a lot of people consider it the gold standard. I prefer a latte and something carby like fruit.

But yeah to your point, if the recovery drink has more calories than you just burned, you probably don't need a recovery drink.
  • dhemp11
    dhemp11 Posts: 23 Member
    During a longer cardio session it’s is perfectly fine to have a mixture of water and sports drink as it will help provide additional fuel you need for your body! Your body needs fuel and ifnitndoesnt get it during the workout it will eventually later in the day based no matter what! Having a protein shake is perfectly fine after cardio! Just make sure it’s not loaded with sugars, sodium, and fat
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2018
    Depending on the duration and intensity of the workout you would more likely benefit from something with carbs as your body is more receptive to glycogen replenishment. With strength the theory is that the extra protein may help tissue damage recover more quickly with most forms of cardio this is less important (a long hard run or bike ride may be exceptions).

If you're getting enough protein through your diet I wouldn't bother.....