Carb vs net carb tracking

Options
Hi
I’m doing Keto diet and using this app to track. Is there a way to set this app to track net carbs automatically? So far I’m tracking full carbs at 20g per day, but most posts I read on keto track net carbs at 20g? Is there a way to change my setting on this app to net carbs?
Gina

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Premium does not have the option to track net carbs. If you want that feature use carbmanager app instead.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ginamore1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m doing Keto diet and using this app to track. Is there a way to set this app to track net carbs automatically? So far I’m tracking full carbs at 20g per day, but most posts I read on keto track net carbs at 20g? Is there a way to change my setting on this app to net carbs?
    Gina

Change your "sugars" category in your diary to track "fiber" and subtract that from your carbs in your head.

The other option is to do a new database entry for everything you eat using net carbs instead of total carbs. Personally, I find that the half second it takes to do the subtraction is easier.
    '
  • lilrhy
    lilrhy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just did this today. Voila!! Now I can track net carbs on MFP (only on the desktop versions though)
    https://www.perfectketo.com/myfitnesspal-net-carbs/
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I never understood why it's too difficult or confusing to do this...
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Change your "sugars" category in your diary to track "fiber" and subtract that from your carbs in your head.

The other option is to do a new database entry for everything you eat using net carbs instead of total carbs. Personally, I find that the half second it takes to do the subtraction is easier.
    '

Easy peasy, no?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ginamore1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Gina

If 20g total is working for you, I would stick with it. There is no "need" to use net carbs, but if you prefer more carbs just track fibre beside carbs. If you go with 30g total carbs, but ate 10g of fibre, you are at 20g net carbs.

IMO, net carbs is more work, and may just be a way for people to justify eating more carbs while still saying they have a low carb count. For most people, as long as your total carbs are under 50g, you are in ketosis (those with IR may need to go lower). If more carbs works for your goals, go for it. ;)