Getting out of your own way

Options
For the past three weeks I have been bouncing back and forth within the same 4 pound range. I am still accurately weighing and logging everything. I weigh myself under the same conditions every day. No I am not close to goal. I still have over 100 pounds to lose, I'm well over 200, and I'm class 3 obese. I did take two days that were closer to maintenance. One was because I was having a hungry day and the other was because I had lunch out with friends and I couldn't be sure exactly how many calories were in the veggie sub (I went with high side estimations and theoretically ate at a deficit but I'm not ruling it that I ate at maintenance). Other than that I've been at a 750-1000 calorie deficit every day.

Yes it's only been there weeks. Yes I know it might be another three weeks before I get out of it. Yes I know it could be from TOM or my workout or stress or not enough sleep or because my body wanted to have a laugh at my expense. But saying these things to myself only pisses me off more. It feels like I'm lying to myself and making excuses for myself. The stress of it is probably making it worse.

Does anyone have tips for letting it go? I just feel so petulant about it. I want to get out of my own way and stop stressing about it. But it's hard to focus on other things. I am not sure I'm measuring my hips and waist correctly because of the way my belly is so I may or may not have lost inches. If my workouts are getting better it's at such an incremental pace that I'm not noticing. My brain hasn't caught up enough with my body so I don't feel thinner and I'm not noticing that my clothes are fitting any differently in the last month (part of this is that I just started wearing some clothes that I haven't worn since I started my weight loss. They feel looser but they should after almost 4 months of weight loss.) Any tips for mentally handling this are welcome.

Replies

• sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I know you want tips for mentally handling this but I have a question- do you use a food scale to weigh your food?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It's tough. I usually end up quitting when I get to that point. I've done so well in past years but

now that I'm 50 it's so hard to lose weight. I can't figure it out. But I do try to remember to weigh

as much of my food as possible, make sure to always track every BLT (bite, lick and taste) and

remember that our bodies are doing other things as well inside there - not just working along

with us to lose weight. :) Good luck! Hopefully we can both stick to this and get where we want to

be.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helped me stick with it were comparing my before to now pictures.

Yes, it's highly piss-offable to be doing everything "right" and nothing happens for weeks/months. You can't turn off stress despite people telling you to stop stressing.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    @sarahlucindac as I mentioned in my post, I do weigh and log everything. I do that with a digital food scale.

@perkymommy I actually Brooke the habit of doing BLTs specifically because logging then stressed me out. I don't even taste test what I'm looking. Luckily I am pretty savvy in the kitchen so it turns out ok, except for intentionally under salting things because that's easy to fix.

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one. It just feels so hard to power through it. I don't want to go back to the way I was eating before but it's hard to not give up and let portion creep happen.

I haven't done an updated picture in about a month so I'm see if that helps. I'll also see what I can do about working towards acceptance. Thanks y'all.
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    I’m sorry you’re struggling right now. I’ve been there, it sucks. Just try to remember that if you are definitely eating at a calorie deficit, the lbs WILL eventually come off. The scale will move. I had a 4 week stall out and it was hard not to give up, but I’m so glad that I didn’t. Keep going. Have faith in your efforts. Maybe reduce your weigh-in frequency so that it’s not on your mind as much. Hang in there 💜
  • sarahlucindac
    Options
    Also, remember that time will pass no matter what. You could be spending the time continuing to give your best effort, or you can spend your time giving up. Push forward and let that time pass while you do your best!