The Weight Loss Translator

IHaveMyActTogether
IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
Got this idea from beautifulbrownbabydoll on youtube. You have to TRANSLATE the cray comments you get on this weight loss journey so you can keep on it, and not give up. The key is to keep it POSITIVE.

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    “You look great!”

Translation: “You look great!”

It helps that I’m mostly a hermit with limited social interactions.

You do look great!
  • StopTheGroundhog
    StopTheGroundhog Posts: 53 Member
    "You're acting a bit obssessive tracking your food. You're not getting an eating disorder are you?"
    =
    "Wow, weight loss is hard and even a few hundred calories here or there can make a difference over time. Well done for being so diligent and dedicated achieving your goals"

• bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    edited July 2018
    *SO gives me a 'look'*

-Edited to add : (I am eating fattening food for context)-

Translates: "I'm torn between your bewbs coming back and your vanity going to make you cry when your clothes don't fit and maybe if I can guilt trip you now we can just avoid this whole mess except you're a woman and cry about everything so maybe I'll just look away because it looks like I'm about to get yelled at."
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    "Wow, you have lost a lot of weight"

I have been hearing this a lot lately. I have only lost 15 lbs. That's not a lot. I'm not sure what to make of it.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    From your doctor: “You need to start losing weight. You’ll feel so much better for it!”
    Translation: Let’s get you on a supervised NPO diet right away. No food, zero water/drink until those pounds all get the message and fall off. I wouldn’t even brush my teeth/use any of those products so you don’t get those calories. You wouldn’t eat the whole toothpaste tube, but let’s stay away-just for now. You’ll thank me when you feel like a super-athlete even at age 90! I would suggest weight loss meds, but you have to drink something to swallow them-no can do!”
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    "I think you'll look gaunt if you lose another 20lbs you know...."
    Translation: You've lost nearly 90lbs already & I don't have the discipline to lose 5lb...would love to have some of your perseverance!

"You were quite big before"
    Translation: I have noticed you've lost quite a bit of weight - well done!

"I couldn't be bothered with all that calorie counting, it just seems excessive. I do xyz diet cos it works for me but I've put on a few lbs lately...."
    Translation: I wish I could be bothered to learn how to keep weight off in the long term....well done for finding something that works for you!

"You don't look like you eat much cake!"
    Translation: I must eat way more cake than you & wish I could stop at one slice.

"Ugh, you're STILL pretty pudgy...wouldn't be too smug!"
    Translation: I am your brain & I love to *kitten* with you hahaha, enjoy!

:smiley:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    From your doctor: “You need to start losing weight. You’ll feel so much better for it!”

Sometimes that should be translated: "Because your BMI is over an arbitrary limit, your insurance company won't reimburse me for seeing you unless I suggest that you should lose weight and then record in your EMR [electronic medical record] that I did so."
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    People who make mean and/or negative comments about others are actually insecure about themselves. For whatever reason, be it physical, emotional/spiritual or mental, that frustration expresses itself in hurtful comments towards others as a coping mechanism. It's never about the person on the receiving end of the comment. I know this is easier said than done, but try not to take it personally because it's not actually about you. :smile:
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    „You are underweight”
    Translation: „Even though you are not, and your BMI is normal, as your mother I have a lag in adjusting to seeing you about 30 lbs lighter. A few of years worth of lag. That's why I will say this to you everytime I see you, before proceeding to ask you how to lose weight and then quickly losing interest when you mention calories.”

„Are you sure you want to lift that? Ok... if you say so. It's your decision and your spine.”
    Translation: „Well done going heavy! Even though you already lift heavier than me - because I kinda don't”.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    "I think you'll look gaunt if you lose another 20lbs you know...."
    Translation: You've lost nearly 90lbs already & I don't have the discipline to lose 5lb...would love to have some of your perseverance!

"Ugh, you're STILL pretty pudgy...wouldn't be too smug!"
    Translation: I am your brain & I love to *kitten* with you hahaha, enjoy!

:smiley:

@Vonny198334 you always make me smile!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    edited October 2018
    Female:"Don't lift too much. You will get bulky. I know because I did it for a few months and had to buy new clothes because my arms wouldn't fit in my clothes any more. "

Translated: I really wish I knew about exercise and how to get a body like that.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    bhadbahabi wrote: »
    *SO gives me a 'look'*

-Edited to add : (I am eating fattening food for context)-

Translates: "I'm torn between your bewbs coming back and your vanity going to make you cry when your clothes don't fit and maybe if I can guilt trip you now we can just avoid this whole mess except you're a woman and cry about everything so maybe I'll just look away because it looks like I'm about to get yelled at."

That is a lot of context for a look. :D
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Co-worker: Are you ok? Are you sick? You're thin.

Translation: I was really hoping something bad was happening to you to account for how good you look. I am unhappy at my weight and want others to be miserable, too.