Doctors - can they help?

Options
2»

Replies

• scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Last time I went to the doc for my check up he tried to do that in and out thing where they say hi do the exam and leave. I said "hey wait a min" and pulled out my list of questions I had written down. I made him stay and asked every question on my list and if I didn't agree with or understand his answer made him explain it. He was a little peeved at first, but at the end of it I think we will have a better relationship from here on out.

But if he had ever said or done some of the things listed in this thread not only would he never treat me again, I'd report him to the medical board. Sometimes you have to remind them that while yes they are a doctor they are essential in a service field and that they are working for you.

Of course I'm a little anal about the doctor. I have an appt at the end of Sept. and have already started compiling my listed of tests and questions so that I can be prepared when I go.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    That's just it. I didn't want the doctor to do anything for me. All I wanted was a bit of advice on what I should be doing. I was just wandering if there was anything I could do. It was being branded a liar that upset me. If she'd told me that no, sorry, there isn't anything you just have to keep on keeping on, I would have been happy with that. But to be called a liar! Its just not on.

There have been some horrendous doctor stories on here. Isn't it a good thing we found each other? :smile: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    That's just it. I didn't want the doctor to do anything for me. All I wanted was a bit of advice on what I should be doing. I was just wandering if there was anything I could do. It was being branded a liar that upset me. If she'd told me that no, sorry, there isn't anything you just have to keep on keeping on, I would have been happy with that. But to be called a liar! Its just not on.

There have been some horrendous doctor stories on here. Isn't it a good thing we found each other? :smile: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I expect they see so many people who do lie, maybe not intentionally, but so many people are completely deluded about what they eat, it must be hard to distinguish the people who genuinely want help, and those who want a magic pill.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Remember, doctors have almost no training in nutrition. They are trained, as someone pointed out, in medical interventions. I have gotten to a point where I generally avoid doctors unless something is broken or something is bleeding and won't stop.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Find a dietician. They are trained in this stuff and will be able to help you so much more.

You ladies have some bad doctors! I am very suddenly even more thankful for the doctor I have, and I thought he was awesome before.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need a new doctor. Some of them just think they are one step down from God. Feel free to knock them off the high horse they think they live on. Find someone that will help you, not hurt you.

Agree :)

And also, I second their lack of knowledge in nutrition, unless they specialized in it somewhere along the way. What they are good for, is telling you BMI and maybe even correlating it to your personal frame size (like my OB did), but generally for weight loss, unless you want surgery or medication, I'd say visit a weight loss center with a nutritionist. Your money would be better spent there! Best of luck, and keep doing what you're doing, & if anything, switch up your diet, make adjustments in your macro percentages to see if that has an effect on your plateau!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    p.s.

When I last checked in with my O.B., to chart my final loss & weigh-in, she was amazed that I lost so much weight from just logging my food and staying within a calorie range. She then even asked me what site I used so she could tell her patients, and proceeded to pick my brain about calories, macronutrients, etc. It was the funniest thing, b/c I was assuming she already knew all of this, seeing as it was health related!
  • debswebby
    Options
    LOL Kate, I think you've got it right.

I saw a dietician once. I'm in the UK so we get all this free. After sitting with her for an hour she said "you know more about this stuff than I do". I said "that's because I've been doing this longer than you" :smile:

I always say, if you want diet advice, ask a fat person :smile:
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    get the bodygem done. it give you your RMR. I found out my was low and have to make some changes to my intake and now not hitting those dumps.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options

She made it clear that she didn't believe a word I said when I told her that I work out 4 - 5 times a week and stick to my diet as best I can. I was being totally honest about my lifestyle but she just kept telling me to be honest with her. She told me there was no way I was burning that many calories at the gym (I'm 17stone and I'm there for 1½ hours - you work it out) and that I was delusional.

xx

Funny story..

I went to my doctor after I'd lost 50 lbs, just to get blood work done. Mainly I just wanted to make sure I wasnt at risk of dropping dead from a stroke or heart attack or something.

Anyway, I was discussing my diet with her, how many calories I was burning, etc. And I could tell it was going there again...I'd been seeing her for a couple years discussing my weight, getting referrals to nutritionists and stuff like that but never really followed through with anything...and I could tell from her eye rolling that she didnt really believe everything I was telling her. She was asking me what I was taking to diet...

So I pulled out my laptop in the exam room, loaded up my bodymedia software and showed her the last 60 days, every single bite of food plus every single calorie burned were right there for her to see. That was pretty awesome.

My cholesterol being down to 160 & blood sugar down to 80 was more awesome, though.
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Doctors can help but you do have to find the right one. I originally went to one doctor and while he was quite good, very thorough with tests and options, he was pretty unrealistic. When I explained to him that I found exercising difficult in forty plus degree heat (that's about 105F) he told me to stop making excuses, and said that 6kg (13lb) weight loss in a month was ok, but I could be doing better. Being 270lb and incredibly unfit at the time, I think I actually would have died if I'd tried jogging in the Summer! So I switched to another doctor at the same practice. He's less inclined to run tests, I have to specifically ask him if I want something tested, but he's very encouraging and helpful. As long as the general trend is down, he says, he's happy. If I have a query he doesn't always know the answer but he'll admit it and look it up for me, as opposed to the other doctor who would just dismiss my question.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    My previous doctor in VA thought I was in tremendous shape and the epitomy of health. When he inquired what I did for shoulders, I told him my routine which included seated overhead presses. He went on to tell me that overhead presses were bad for the lower back because they compressed the discs and that I should obstain from doing them. I replied that if I had an issue with discs, a weak low back, or vertebral column issue like scoliosis, that I could see his point, but informed him that done correctly they are safe. Of course he disagreed. When I asked him about squats, he said that they were a great exercise to do. But you can actually use much more weight in squats and that weight sits on your shoulders, so wouldn't contradict your previous statement? He just said he knows what he knows and that as a licensed professional, he's sure he has more knowledge about it than I do. I smiled and just said "thanks for your opinion". Never saw the guy again.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Oh, Doctors can mess you up so bad! While in college, I was told I was "pre-diabetic" and needed to lose weight. I'm 5'5" and was 145 pounds at the time. The doctor at the university clinic told me I needed to be 105 pounds. I think at that weight I would cease to exist! They put me on a diet, and I followed it religiously. When I went back after a month and had not lost weight, the doctor accused me of not following the diet and lying about it! I started doing other unhealthy things to make the scale move, so I wouldn't get in trouble with the doctor again. I was pretty messed up for a while after that. :(

About 15 years ago, I went in for an annual physical and wanted to talk to my doctor about my weight gain. I hadn't really changed my eating habits but was gaining weight and didn't feel well in general. The doctor completely dismissed me, telling me that "sick people don't gain weight...they lose it". She suggested I contact the nutritionist, but I was so mortified that I never went back.

Now if I don't like the results or attention I get from a doctor, I will just find another one. I do a lot of research in relation to my health and don't just take the doctor's word as gospel. There are good and bad doctors, and you should have a partnership with your provider that works best for you and your lifestyle.
  • emadigan
    emadigan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Doctors run a business, just like everyone else. If your hairdresser told you she/he couldn't do anything with your hair and thought you lied when you said you wash it, would you stay with her/him? NO! Find the doctor that works for YOU. Shop around. Since you're going to be spending money there, you have the right to. I love that the doctors at the practice I go to ALWAYS close my folder and just sit and talk with me for a few minutes. They like to know about my life to get a full picture of my health. They've been very supportive of my weight loss. They've never even suggested anything but the good ol' fashioned way.
  • ShadowFangs
    Options
    While i was pregnant i had many people say i was 'too fat' to have a proper ultrasound scan. After having ruby i still get some doctors saying that im too fat and dont seem to want to help. Now i have been put on a scheme at my local doctors called help2slim and i went for the first appointment on tuesday to see if they can help. My partner is annoyed about it all as he's the cook. They gave me portion pots and if you look at how much they allow you pasta and then look at how much rice it is rediculous. I think they cross over on so many things in opinion and research that they dont really know what to tell us. Theyre given a weight and a measurement and go on what they can see before weighing mostly.

Anyway Ive been rambling...

A Doctor can help... you just have to find a right one.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    I pick my doctors very carefully. I first try to get referrals from friends who really loves their doctor. If I can't do it that way, then I go to the Castle-Connelly's Top Doctors resources and look up doctors close enough to me. I will travel outside of my neighborhood for a great doctor. Once I select one or more names, I research them on the internet and make an appointment to meet them. So far, I've been very satisfied with a huge percentage of doctors selected via the Top Doctors list. If you are not in the US, I bet there is something similar wherever you are located. With our Top Doctors list, doctors are selected by their peers, so it's not a BS rating. Also, once I find a doctor I like, I will use that doctor for a resource for others and I ask about the personality of the new doctor.

Good luck. Great doctors are out there and even the best can have off days, they are only human and some of the best doctors can still be overworked and can be a bit short or inattentive once in a while, but NOT on a regular basis, for sure. I love my docs, they are really amazing and skilled.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I believe you! If that helps :) Seriously... you need a new doctor. Someone who is going to listen to you without ridicule. Someone who genuinely wants to have a relationship with you because you are an individual and not just another cookie cutter version of another patient.

The plateau.... I have been at 166 for weeks! I have been working out for hours in a day to break through this plateau. The scale did drop a bit the other day, but guess what.... I am right back at 166. So... keep doing what you are doing by making healthier choices and exercising. And look into getting a new doc.

I wish you all the best.
  • debswebby
    Options
    I'm in the UK so we get what we're given here. Its free though so can't complain (although I do frequently lol)
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not strictly true, you can change your GP either just by asking to register at a different surgery in your area, or by writing to the PCT and asking to switch. There are some horrible stories on here. I would agree with the poster who said that it must be very difficult to distinguish between the person who is making excuses not to exercise, or not to eat healthy stuff (don't have time, too expensive, kids won't eat it etc etc ). We know people do it - and I have been that person, not that I would have accepted it at the time.

Regarding the ultrasound scans- I do some ultrasound scanning, and I have to say, it is much much harder to get good images with patients who are obese. There would come a point where it would be impossible. In pregnancy, one way round this is to do an internal scan, which gives better pictures. Its so important in pregnancy to get the measurements right etc that I can understand someone being given a warning that the scan would be of limited quality. Lots of our scans are qualified with 'the images were limited by patients body habitus' or similar.