going down a wrong trajectory

Options
This is a wonderful site, but I find lately I haven't been checking in. I'm on my own on the site, and I'm in a state of "uncontrollable" eating. It's because I'm stressed, and I can't seem to dig myself out of this. I'm still buying healthy foods and eating them, but still I have to have chips (a whole big bag today) and a "fluffernutter" because I had never tried it before, and I saw the fluff on the shelf at the grocery store.

Looking back on today at least, I didn't have lunch before going to the store. Which is usually something I try to do so I won't buy stuff that I'm thinking will be too tempting.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.

I used to have a dietitian/nutritionist but it's been a long time.

Replies

• joone_9
    joone_9 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You simply have to decide that enough is enough and stop the behaviour as best you can and remember how good it feels when you are taking care of yourself and on track. Try and just start with not binging on junk...stop buying those chips and see if you can eat at maintenance cals for a week...then if you feel like you need/want to lose weight readjust goals and go from there. Good luck! You can do it!
  • _calmjam
    _calmjam Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding, and responding so quickly. I definitely feel much better when I'm eating well taking care of myself.

I will do, the eating at maintenance... and then see how I'm doing after a week or 2. Thanks!!!! For sure I can.
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    _calmjam wrote: »

Looking back on today at least, I didn't have lunch before going to the store. Which is usually something I try to do so I won't buy stuff that I'm thinking will be too tempting.

I definitely try to do that too!

I find that a week or so before my cycle starts I want to eat everything. So more exercise might be in order for that time frame. I can understand the emotional eating as well. When you feel that stress perhaps focusing on some physical activity will deter the overeating?

Hope you find something that works for you.. add me if you need an extra cheerleader :)

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    What kind of chips (or other snacks) do you like? Can you get something in small single-serving packs that you could fit into your daily calories?

For example, I cannot moderate Pringles at all. I'll weigh out a portion, put the tube away in the pantry and go elsewhere to eat them. Within a short while I'm craving more, and I'll go back and take them rather than being satisfied with the portion I had. Once I pop, I really can't stop!

On the other hand, if I buy the little 100-calorie packs, I can eat one of those and not want more. I think it's a psychological thing about the tub being empty therefore I've definitely finished eating them, even though I know there are more packs in the pantry. With the big tube I don't get that feeling of "completion" when I just take a few out and put the rest away.
  • smartaleca
    smartaleca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How about eating filling meals with enough protein and fat to satiate you. It might mean going over.yiur calories limit a bit, but try not to blow it out of the water. If you're hungry in between, maybe snack on almonds or something that isn't fluffernutter and will send you further down the hole?
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options
    _calmjam wrote: »
    This is a wonderful site, but I find lately I haven't been checking in. I'm on my own on the site, and I'm in a state of "uncontrollable" eating. It's because I'm stressed, and I can't seem to dig myself out of this. I'm still buying healthy foods and eating them, but still I have to have chips (a whole big bag today) and a "fluffernutter" because I had never tried it before, and I saw the fluff on the shelf at the grocery store.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open.

I used to have a dietitian/nutritionist but it's been a long time.

Having some snacks isn't that bad as long as you're not going overboard with them. I like fluffernutters, but instead of putting it on two slices of bread, I put marshmallow fluff and peanut butter on a graham cracker. It doesn't take a lot of peanut butter or marshmallow fluff either with the graham cracker. There's ways you can still have what you want with less calories.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Use the search feature to find GoaD aka Guys On A Diet. Join our group. You won’t be on your own. Most of us did Weight Watchers at one time, but it doesn’t matter if you have or not. Check us out.
  • amyloutoyou
    amyloutoyou Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find that artificial sweeteners and carbs drive my hunger. So I eat protein and vegetables and some carbs closer to bedtime. carbs make me so hungry that once or twice I even took a Benadryl so I would be sure to sleep before I ate anything else. I don’t recommend this). Don’t waste any energy worrying about what you ate— just get rid of those trigger foods. You’ve had good days of eating before and you will again. Don’t be hard on yourself— write out a plan for tomorrow that will get you back on track.
  • jls1788
    jls1788 Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Something that works for me is to add friends on here, doesn’t have to be people you know in real life. Just MFP friends, then make your food diary viewable to your friends. Then log every bite. Helps me bc I know others are looking at it. Then at the end of the day, click “diary complete” and it will post it for your friends to see. Do you know how to add friends? You could ask all the people that posted a reply to you today. They might want to be friends? Just a suggestion! Good luck! You can do hard things!
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    For me, I write a grocery list and stick to it. First thing after the gym, I plan all my meals for the day and make adjustments to hit my cal and macro goals. I have 2 knockoff yeti lunchboxes that I carry all my food for the day with me, and I don't eat from outside of them unless I go into MFP and budget for it (rare). It also helps to have a few go to "on the go" meals you know the macros for and can budget them in if plans change. I like chipotle bowls with meat, veggies, cheese, and salsa. Also, 7-11 has some highly processed but still works for my macros chicken skewers, sweet potato chips, fruit, beef jerky, boiled eggs, and Greek yogurt. Not the best but if im at a place where I can't cook my food I go and grab some of that stuff.

You have to want it. If you want it, you find a way to make it work.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I order groceries online for delivery. I don’t have to deal with the grocery store and it eliminates the possibility of impulse buys.
  • _calmjam
    Options
    Thank you I appreciate so much all of you taking the time to respond. Encouragement really helps from all of you who have also been through this!! Wow, amazing suggestions. I munched on celery (I've had it in the fridge for a week) and some hummus last night and this morning am having a healthy breakfast of granola and milk and coffee (and some fruit).

I'm going to go for a walk this morning!! It's been a long time.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find that logging what I'm going to eat ahead of time works like a last-minute check. "Oh. That PB&J sandwich is going to run me about 400 calories. Am I sure I want it? Hmm... maybe if I use half the PB and spread it on a rice cake with a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar... yeah, that'll give me more calories for later in the day."

(Full disclosure: I'm 5'3" and if I don't exercise, I'm on 1360 calories to lose 1/2lb per week. 400 calories for me hurts more than it would someone taller and heavier with more to lose.)
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Never grocery shop hungry! I always make the worst choices at the grocery store when I’m hungry.

Make a list of what you need before you go and stick to it.

A lot of grocery stores now have a free pick-up option. You pick out everything you need online, they pack it all up for you. No wandering around the store and having to deal with temptation.

Log your food before you eat it. There’s definitely times I’ve been planning on having something and then once I see it in the log, decide I don’t want it so much. And never skip logging something because you know you shouldn’t have had it. Keep yourself accountable.

And don’t totally deprive yourself of things you really want. You can make almost anything fit into your calories if you plan out your day right. So if you are really craving something, have it, but don’t let it ruin your diet work it into the diet.

And remember, one bad day or one over indulgant meal won’t ruin everything. So don’t beat yourself up just make a plan to do better 🙂
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I think you’ve got this a bit backwards.

If you are eating to manage stress, time to develop a new strategy. Think of eating as a medication with significant unwanted side effects. You can’t just stop treating the underlying problem. Really.
  • _calmjam
    Options
    I find that logging what I'm going to eat ahead of time works like a last-minute check. "Oh. That PB&J sandwich is going to run me about 400 calories. Am I sure I want it? Hmm... maybe if I use half the PB and spread it on a rice cake with a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar... yeah, that'll give me more calories for later in the day."

(Full disclosure: I'm 5'3" and if I don't exercise, I'm on 1360 calories to lose 1/2lb per week. 400 calories for me hurts more than it would someone taller and heavier with more to lose.)

Thanks, good ideas here too. Maybe even planning out a week at a time, if I seriously look at my week, and get really organized. This reminds me of the comment about spreading a bit of something sweet on a graham cracker too, easy/good reminders/ideas! Thank you.
  • _calmjam
    Options
    Never grocery shop hungry! I always make the worst choices at the grocery store when I’m hungry.

Make a list of what you need before you go and stick to it.

A lot of grocery stores now have a free pick-up option. You pick out everything you need online, they pack it all up for you. No wandering around the store and having to deal with temptation.

Log your food before you eat it. There’s definitely times I’ve been planning on having something and then once I see it in the log, decide I don’t want it so much. And never skip logging something because you know you shouldn’t have had it. Keep yourself accountable.

And don’t totally deprive yourself of things you really want. You can make almost anything fit into your calories if you plan out your day right. So if you are really craving something, have it, but don’t let it ruin your diet work it into the diet.

And remember, one bad day or one over indulgant meal won’t ruin everything. So don’t beat yourself up just make a plan to do better 🙂

I really thrive on the positive so thanks again for all your notes and recommendations, and inspiring hope in me. I really need it. I'm totally with you on the logging, I think it's hard to be honest if you had something that you probably are embarrassed by but I hear ya - about the owning it and trying harder next time - and being kind to myself too. All good points. Thanks so much Liz! :smile:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    When I go to the grocery store, I stick to my list of healthy foods.. I never look around in the isles or shelves of the store..or I think I would get tempted too. So try being focused.. get the items on your list..and stick to it. Even try to go with a limited time frame so you don't have time to do anything but grab what you need and check out. Good luck getting back on track.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Get some help with the stress; tackle the root cause. You can do it!
  • AndThenIWoreIt
    AndThenIWoreIt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I set specific challenges for myself, usually on a week-by-week basis. For example, only low-glycemic sugars this week — so I can put agave in my coffee or have some homemade pumpkin bread made with coconut palm sugar, but no other foods with added sugar THIS WEEK. It’s not forever, it’s just a short-term challenge. Or maybe only yogurt and fruit for afternoon snacks (my weakest time) THIS WEEK. It’s not forever.

Then I come up with a new challenge for the following week. That way I know that “not eating ice cream” is just a “this week” thing.

At the grocery store, I focus on the things that are new and exciting for me — barley or buckwheat noodles instead of rice (lower glycemic value). When I see some fantastic new ice cream flavor or chocolate bar on sale (is it clear yet that sweets are my weakness?), I remind myself that “that stuff” is not something I eat THIS WEEK.