MFP says the most I can lose in 0.5 a wk

Options
I am 26, 4'10 maybe 4'11. I currently weight 110-111. At my heaviest I weighed 117. The fat on my body accumulates in my mid section so I look pregnant. I started using MFP in January and did tried sticking to 1200 calories. I didn't lose any weight. In May I reduced to 1000 calories and saw that I finally went down from 117 to 111-110. I still need to lose the belly flab and get down to 100 lbs. But now I've reached a plateau so figured I may need to up my calories to 1200 but MFP says all I would lose that way is 0.5lbs a week even when I put I want to lose 2lbs per week in the options. How do I get back to losing weight? What am I doing wrong. Oh and I run an average of 3 miles per day burning 200+ calories when I do.

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Mix up your exercise and add strength training.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    to lose 0.5lb a week = 2lbs a month
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You only have 10 pounds to lose, you shouldn't be trying for 2lbs a week. Probably won't happen. Most things I've recommend 0.5lbs a week for when you are close to goal. That's what my goal is. I've done well on it, lost 7lbs in 2 months.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    i agree - add strength training. if your tummy is where the excess goes, try more crunches and ab workouts. good luck!
  • glenna221
    Options
    Build muscle so that you burn more fat. Try High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) - google it and find some videos. You might end up weighing the same i the end, but you should see yourself lose the belly fat.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal the less weight you lose. You should be very happy with losing 0.5lb a week. MFP will not go below 1200 cal a day, and to lose 2lbs a week you need a deficyt of about 7000 cals. You are very short so your maintenance calories are quite low, which means you want be able to reduce your intake by that much. Just be patient.
    :happy:
  • StarArly
    StarArly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Should I stick to 1000 calories or 1200?
  • ljbarna
    ljbarna Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am also 4' 10"--wow! there are others :) I consulted a trainer at one point and she recommended 1050-1150 calories for me. I also do strength training as welll as cardio--the strength training makes a huge difference. I lost about 5 1/2 inches in 3 weeks with this approach.
    Hope that helps some! Good luck!!

You can friend me if you want.
  • blackfitnessbarbie
    blackfitnessbarbie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    honestly i don't think you need to lose weight, i think it's just toning up that is needed. you only weigh 115lbs. that's crazy small. keep at it and you should see results.
  • emadigan
    emadigan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Because your weight is lower to begin with, your body requires fewer calories to run itself. Therefore, mathematically, to lose 2 pounds a week, you'd have to eat very few calories, which is too dangerous. MFP never recommends less than 1200 calories, which is why it says you will lost .5 lb/week.

Honestly, I would go talk to a professional, who will be able to recommend what is best for you. I don't go under 1200, personally, and it does slow my weight loss. However, I don't mind the trade-off.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    honestly i don't think you need to lose weight, i think it's just toning up that is needed. you only weigh 115lbs. that's crazy small. keep at it and you should see results.

I agree!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You only have 10 pounds to lose, you shouldn't be trying for 2lbs a week. Probably won't happen. Most things I've recommend 0.5lbs a week for when you are close to goal. That's what my goal is. I've done well on it, lost 7lbs in 2 months.

This.^ I have only 6 more to lose and it's taking forever. It has TAKEN forever even to get started because I was never eating enough... always at a 500-1000 (or more some days) deficit. It didn't work. Now I am eating closer to what I burn in a day and it gradually (slooowly) coming off.

Good luck!
  • paperpromisesx3
    Options

It's not crazy small when you're short. I am 4'10" and weigh 113lbs right now .. but when you're this height, it looks like more. Goal weights for people our height are between 95lbs-105lbs. My goal ia 105lbs.

I stick to 900-1000 calories a day. Maybe try that.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have tried yoga or pilates but i found they helped tone up my mid section alot when sit ups failed.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options

I agree!
    I dont think people realise how much of a difference 5lbs makes on a SHORT person. I'm 5'0 and normally about 115lbs. My body fat is 32%. So I need to lose about 5-8lbs to get my body fat under control. So 115lbs for a 4'10 person is not "crazy small" at all.