What is making me fart?!

Options
Any tips on what causes excessive wind / flatulence? I've changed to sourdough, have yogurt and kefir with breakfast, kimchi with lunch but still have a major problem.

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    More protein than normal does this to me :( have you increased your protein lately?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    carbonated beverages?
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Foods with oligosaccharides (google, often on IBS-FODMAP diet restrictions) or excessive sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, eyrthritol, etc.) can be quite nasty in excess at least
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Those foods are supposedly probiotics, so would potentially be altering your gut flora. Making more gas could be due to that...
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    gluten, dairy and legumes do it for me.
    Also too much fruit might cause it
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Beans.

Good for your heart though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohol, carbs and fibre do it for me. Most gas is from glucose eating bacteria in your gut. I find that when I cut back on carbs, I rarely fart, and when I do it is fairly odorless.

My kids find it to bee true too. My oldest won't take veggies to school because he doesn't want to be embarrassed by farts in class.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Food. Especially food that your stomach and small intestine cannot or do not break down. This is also known as fiber. These forms of nutrition reach your colon where live many different bacteria. Some of those bacteria thrive on the fibrous food you eat. The byproduct of that bacterial happiness is sulphurous gases and methane.

If you try changing the food you eat, you will force an evolutionary selection in your colon. After a few generations of pressure, bacterial generations are 20 minutes, your colon will be populated with happy bacteria converting the fibrous food you eat into sulphurous gases and methane.

Abandon hope.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem until I upped my water intake. This helped lessen the problem. Turns out many of the healthy foods we choose for a healthy lifestyle are contain complex carbs that are high in fiber. The healthy foods basically ferment in our intestines creating a gas buildup, hence the gas and bloating. Drinking more water helps offset the problem. Also watch out for artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols which also contribute to the problem. Hope this helps, best of luck to you.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Usually a problem in digesting protein in various forms.

Papaya enzyme pills, which can be purchased cheaply in bulk, are what I use when I have that problem.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Lentils, brussels, and onions make me toot like a trumpet
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Watch your carbs and sugar intake
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fiber...and/or more protein in your diet.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Substitute meat products do it for me. Toot toot.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The kimchi could be doing it..
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    If you just introduced the kefir and kimchi to your diet, cut it out and see if your gas goes away. Then reintroduce in smaller amounts.
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Looks like different causes for different people. I recently switched to a low carb diet and stopped passing gas. I'm eating a lot of eggs, meat, oils, and cruciferous veggies, like broccoli and spinach, so I think my problem was the sugar/carbs.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Anytime I change my diet, my body goes through a transition phase. Give it a week. Take GasX as needed. If no improvement, start removing items one by one to see if you can pinpoint the culprit.