The unbearable lightness of being skinny fat

Options
Neither overweight nor underweight, height/weight/BMI/hydration/blood tests within range. Neither unhealthy eating habit nor extremely healthy. Neither extremely sedentary nor truly active. I’m the epitome of averageness. Apparently too in shape to complain, and yet too large (and lazy) to look actually fit&toned, and possibly also to find the motivation to make a real change because well in the end it’s not so bad (yet).

Replies

• ezgardengal
    ezgardengal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AND! It sounds like one of your favorite authors is Alexander McCall Smith🤗
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Well--I guess I don't know what you want to do. To me you sound like a good candidate to do a recomp---eating at maintenance and exercising to build more muscle and lose fat. It gives you a nice body. There's a long thread running on it by usmcmp if you do a search you'll find it. Good luck.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    But the lightness of being brings freedom along with it no? You are not trapped in an infinitely recurring loop.

So live for today and banish the skinny fat!
  • dani_sc
    dani_sc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get how confusing and pointless such a post may seem. I guess what I wanted to say is that sometimes being very overweight or out of shape gives you the motivation to make a change. But if you're not too bad after all, you may lack that motivation - not to mention how hard it is to lose just a few pounds when you are so close to your desired weight, plus you feel you have no right to complain when people around you are struggling with serious weight and health issues.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    At that point, it is just for vanity reasons. Which matters more, having muscle definition or sticking to your current lifestyle?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you happy where you are? If not make the change. Set new goals for yourself.. fitness, body composition, etc.
  • hanskr58
    hanskr58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Are you happy where you are? If not make the change. Set new goals for yourself.. fitness, body composition, etc.

Yes, indeed needed to get yourself activated.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    dani_sc wrote: »
    Neither overweight nor underweight, height/weight/BMI/hydration/blood tests within range. Neither unhealthy eating habit nor extremely healthy. Neither extremely sedentary nor truly active. I’m the epitome of averageness. Apparently too in shape to complain, and yet too large (and lazy) to look actually fit&toned, and possibly also to find the motivation to make a real change because well in the end it’s not so bad (yet).

Be proud Mama!
    85% of America is obese or overweight, so your anything but average!

Sounds like you are not in a position where you need to lose weight so there's no pressure to do so... Start small, pick an hour a week and hit the gym with a friend if you think it'll make you feel better and gradually build on that...

At the end of the day, if you're health is not negatively effected by excess weight then it sounds like you are fine just as you are... There's more to life then fitness, maybe you just have bigger aspirations in other areas of your life...

Best of luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dani_sc wrote: »

Ok?