Do I or don't I.....

Cancel my gym membership?!?

I've been a member of the Gym since Jan 2015 and my current gym since Feb 2018 but I'm beginning to not enjoy going and doing the classes. I haven't been for two weeks but mainly because I was poorly but I am finding myself going less and less and just not really enjoying it. I can only attend the gym during my lunch hour and going every day is becoming a tedious chore.

I have a weird mindset when it comes to working out....I either go all out 100% where I attend classes Mon - Fri and will even do 2x classes back to back or I don't go all out and have 0% motivation and just don't go.

I'm not sure whether the whole "I must work out everyday" mindset is actually making me not enjoy it. My gym membership is £25 per month, I know its not a lot compared to some memberships but its money I could use elsewhere.

I have KB's at home and a barbell with weights so there's nothing stopping me from working out at home.

I'm losing weight by being in a calorie deficit as this is my main goal but I just find that sometimes I actually feel more depressed/tired when I exercise as opposed to when I don't but not sure if its because "when I go all out" I do to much then just crash and don't do anything then.

Replies

• Kiasmama
    Kiasmama Posts: 1 Member
    I am also an all or nothing type person so I know what you mean. I changed my routine up tho. I used to run then do weight lifting. I decided I am only going to run. I re-examined my goal, which is to run a 5k, and realized that while lifting was nice I don’t need to do it right now so I decided to just run. I also changed up my running routine. I find that this change made me look forward to going to the gym again. I was just pushing myself when it was unnecessary to reach my current goal. Now it’s hard to do that lol cause iveant to go all out and keep lifting but I did find it changed my attitude about going to the gym. I also only workout three days then one day off. That works for me.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Maybe you're bored with the workout you're doing and just need to switch up what you are doing to something different
  • Waheed_H
    Waheed_H Posts: 384 Member
    Change the gym and try to find some partner to play together
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Personally, I need the gym to stay motivated - I won't push myself as hard at home as I do in the gym.

If you're bored with current classes, maybe try something different like boxing/kickboxing/krav maga?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Do they offer any facilities that you *can't* replicate at home?

Like, for me, I hate hate hate gym classes. But they have an indoor pool, which I don't (I'm a swimmer), and if it's stupid unsafe hot or raining, there's a treadmill that I can use to run on my run days. So I keep the membership because I can't afford a pool and don't have space for a treadmill.

If there's no services they have that you can't replicate, it's not worth the money.

The motivation is on you, though. You need to find your reason for working out and training. A physical building can't do that for you.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    I think I just get bored to be honest....My classes for the past 4 years have ranged from GRIT, Insanity, Kettlebells, Bodypump, Spinning, Legs, Bums & Tums, Fatburn Classes (hiit or whatever they call it these days), Yoga, Bodycombat, Circuits...Then the machines such as running, stairmaster, elliptical, rower ....Then I had a PT and did weight training for a number of months...

However, if I had to really think about the workouts I've enjoyed the most out of the above it would have to be running (in a weird way) and when I did the strength training with my PT and Kettlebells and I think its because I prefer the pace of these workouts....I enjoy the reps/sets side of things....Maybe I've just answered my own question!

Like on a Friday I love it because I don't go to the gym but I enjoy doing some weights at home such as squats, RDL's, Bent over Rows etc and I like the sets/reps and then I'll go for a jog later on which is around 3.5k.

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Why not cancel for a month or 2 then reassess?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    I think I just get bored to be honest....My classes for the past 4 years have ranged from GRIT, Insanity, Kettlebells, Bodypump, Spinning, Legs, Bums & Tums, Fatburn Classes (hiit or whatever they call it these days), Yoga, Bodycombat, Circuits...Then the machines such as running, stairmaster, elliptical, rower ....Then I had a PT and did weight training for a number of months...

However, if I had to really think about the workouts I've enjoyed the most out of the above it would have to be running (in a weird way) and when I did the strength training with my PT and Kettlebells and I think its because I prefer the pace of these workouts....I enjoy the reps/sets side of things....Maybe I've just answered my own question!

Like on a Friday I love it because I don't go to the gym but I enjoy doing some weights at home such as squats, RDL's, Bent over Rows etc and I like the sets/reps and then I'll go for a jog later on which is around 3.5k.

That's great! Narrowing it down to what you actually enjoy is important. However, for me, setting fitness goals for each type of workout keeps me interested and motivated. Just going through the motions gets boring, even if you like the activity.

For example, you said you enjoy using kettlebells. Keep track of your weights and sets and keep trying to go heavier. Making and hitting goals is very empowering.
  • aliyusaf
    aliyusaf Posts: 20 Member
    I do three days on and one day off. Sometimes I really want to work out on the day off, but I don't. Sometimes I really don't want to work out on the days on, but I do. I feel that the day off gives me a break that really helps with the rest. I can go hard for three days knowing full well that I have a rest day coming.

Try something like it. It may work.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Maybe try something different. Have you heard of 9Round? See if there is one near you. You can try it for free. So fun and so motivating. I love it. I always look forward to going. Look into it.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    I much prefer working out at home. I canceled my gym membership years ago and don’t miss it at all. I enjoy my workouts at home more, I can make my workouts fit whatever my schedule is more easily, it’s harder to talk myself out of a workout when all I have to do it go to the living room to do it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »

No reason to not change what you do. Like start a running program perhaps?
  • Have you tried not doing classes and finding a routine to follow on your own instead? I personally enjoy going to the gym alone, just me, the weights, and the music. It's my me time.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I do Kettlebells, bodyweight and Run. I don't like the gym but I do like getting outside.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Can you pause your membership instead of cancelling while you consider other options?